Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

should houses be 100% safe?

Completely agree with Eru. It's just to annoy the person when they return to find themselves dead

They shouldnt need to own a static just to avoid them getting killed afk

Eru Wrote:It simply has no place. We do support PVP, but not griefing.

It seems griefing is the Prototype modus operandi.

That's not to say that griefing is impossible, I mean I won't support making changes that are only to help people grief.

Some people decide that the world needs an enemy and take it on themselves to be that, which is fine unless it turns into harassment. It sucks at the time, but it's also one of the more memorable things about the game when you look back.

Here's my 2 cents on this issue.. I also dont think houses should be completely safe. There should be a risk and you should have the possibility of death if your macroing or hiding in a smaller house. This adds an element of uncertainty to going afk and macroing. It also promotes people finding cool out of the way spots to hide their houses and moves them away from putting them in popular areas.

Also doing this promotes pvp in random locations. Think about areas on IN that were completely out of the way, such as that valley north of minoc, people had mining houses and castles there and we had some amazing fights because of it. I can't even count how many times a huge fight would happen because one or two people would go to an enemy castle/GH and start killing the afk macroers through the walls (Hell it was practically a sport seeing who could get the EV to go to the right side of the wall).

Scenario 1:
- Me and a friend are out prowling looking for people to kill, unfortunately we aren't having much luck
- We spot a castle with a member of guild A macroing a skill, and he looks to be standing next to the wall
- Being bored we decide to kill the bastard. We summon an EV and he dies
- We have a good laugh and lo and behold he's not afk anymore, so he comes out as a ghost and yells at us
- We laugh and recall away to look for more people.. Still not having any luck so decide to go back
- Another member of guild A is there and ressing him now! We chase but he manages to get away
- He recalls back in 5 min later with 3 friends, we run and/or die and then call more people, huge fight ensues that lasts the next 3 hours. Good times.

This leads me to my other point i'd like to make.. Everyone here is saying there is no value in killing people in their houses but your wrong. Your not going to gain items but it helps create something that a server needs to have a lot of large scale fights.. A reason to fight besides just fighting for the sake of fighting... Anger towards the person/persons that went out of their way to mess up your day. They just killed you in your small house while you were getting resupplied! HOW DARE THEY.

Scenerio 2:
- Your killing some monsters, get a bunch of awesome weapons/armor but need to put stuff away
- You recall to your little storage house, go inside and start unpacking when 2 people from guild B showup outside
- They both start spamming EQ and you die. *******s... why the hell would they do that for no reason!?
- Fine.. OK, you leave as a ghost and go get ressed, run back and so you can get your loot.. but they are still there and kill you again. WTF, MY STUFF IS GOING TO DECAY.
- Try again, same result. Your stuff decays. Maaan are you ever pissed off now, you had full mythril armor and a HH you were killing monster with.. not to mention the 100k and crap load of vanqs/invul from loot.
- For the next 6 months whenever you see those *******s you go out of your way to try to kill them. Hurray PVP!

Anyway thats a long enough post for me. Also just a note, these kind of events occured on a daily basis on IN. People say they played for the community we had.. But you have to remember there were a couple different groups in that community and for a lot of that servers life they utterly hated eachother Tongue

~Red

redorb pretty much hit the nail on the head

So your saying that killing afks helps the server by slowing down there skills to make them hate you and in turn causing hatred and it turns into pvp. That's basically what you just said in short and then you said after you go hunting and go hide in your house ill EQ you to death and then continuously harass and res kill you so when you come back to get your stuff Ill kill you again so you can't get it. I mean if you can't have it why should they have it right ? (Just sounds childish)

Oh and where you say "you should have the possibility of death if your macroing or hiding in a smaller house."
So in reality only noobie's / new players to the shard can only afford a small house, then the players who have played longer and are richer have big houses correct ? If going by that quote your basicly saying you just wanted to kill noobs because anyone worth killing will hide in there million $ mansion all safe and cozy.
Houses are not 100% safe when they open the door run inside ? Can't be banned from the house or ejected, so hide there and sneak in ?

Your argument does not make sense everyone keeps trying to say the same thing different ways but you could just say i like to kill afk noobs. There are 100's and 100's of ways to cause pvp or fun other then afk house killing.
There is even arguably the best hunting grounds on the shard and its made so you can't just recall out instantly.

I agree with soma and eru why kill someone that is afk macroing?? and guild house looting will never be legal as it should be as for house looting i guess so but guild house looting hell no youd have people making char. just to loot your guild house... and im glad you cant be killed inside your house with eqs and cl.

I don't support killing AFK macroers, but if you raid someone's guild house/house/chase someone into a house it's nice to be able to pummel them with some spells.

I remember in the early days when SIN was noob and half of DOOM, TRU et al. would appear outside our guild house and batter the place with pheonixes, EVs and CLs through the walls and doors. It was kinda fun in a weird way, like a siege or something.

Carding/Garrik/Whatever

Ill support whatever decision the staff make but how many of you would enjoy coming back to your computer every day to find yourself dead and 8 hours of macroing wasted. These people have to train somehow, we have jobs etc so only have so many hours we can actually play per week, macroing allows us to train while we are out etc so when we actually play we aren't useless. If i came back like that everyday, I would quit pretty damn quick myself.

Boomrak Brewforge Wrote:Ill support whatever decision the staff make but how many of you would enjoy coming back to your computer every day to find yourself dead and 8 hours of macroing wasted. These people have to train somehow, we have jobs etc so only have so many hours we can actually play per week, macroing allows us to train while we are out etc so when we actually play we aren't useless. If i came back like that everyday, I would quit pretty damn quick myself.

I'm all for houses that are dangerous but this is the exact problem. We're in a tenuous position right now, this is Ultima Online it's a nearly 20 year old game and most of the players are vets from a shard that we played 13 years ago. bad times are a cost we cannot afford right now. Once we stabilize and get a bigger player base and have not everyone be poor maybe this line of thinking will be better.

As soma mentioned, the only houses that are really dangerous are the small houses since Fire Field and EQ hit everywhere inside. I especially won't be making changes that allows griefing, AND limits that griefing to new players in the only house they can afford starting out.

Killing people is what some of us just love to do in general. It should be a risk going afk in the wild, in a house or not. If EQ cant kill, whats it good for?