Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AFK Resource Gathering Punishments

The only problem as far as I can see, is that the staff is trying to force their idea of how UO should be played on the playerbase

They're spending time looking over our shoulders and nerfing every ****ing thing that people seem to enjoy, all in the name of protecting their precious economy.

Someone needs to remind them that it's a ****ing game, let the people do whatever they want and let the chips fall where they may

The only thing they're accomplishing with all these bullshit rules is making everyone miserable ; The players and the staff.

On XUO or INX, everyone had a shitload of cash and nobody complained.

Makaveli admits he automined on XUO and did that hurt the economy in any way ?

My answer is no since the economy was even stronger and present, people was running with good armors and we had fun looting them, that's what made Ultima Online come back years after years, even if it was not the same shard.

This is a part of Light's opinion and I'm totally agree with him..

... anyway, going back to macroing.

you are right about one thing. It is a game. But games need to be built with intelligence. Economy is a big issue with all games, it truely makes or breaks a game. We have to change some aspects to balance more aspects of the game. Shoving this issue away because it may seem heated, complicated, or beyond an individual's thought process, is not helping. Taking a moment, maybe 30 minutes before you reply, giving you long enough time to think about how you can give a constructive answer that helps move the shard into a newer and better situation. This will not go away until a resolution has been made, and leaving the economy alone, is not going to make the shard better.

Smurtle Wrote:A real solution is that AFK means AWAY FROM KEYBOARD.

I don't care if you're watching TV ten feet away and have a script running that warns you.

That's AFK macroing. Anyway you put it, it's not going to change that it is AFK macroing, therefore the punishment should be what was listed.

That's like me killing someone to prevent them from hurting someone else when they haven't even done anything. The fact of the matter is I took a life and therefore should be punished, in some way. Key words: some way.

Christ, way to overstate and misconstrue yourselves.

Whoops, my mistake. You DID have a suggestion buried in there. My apologies Smurtle.
You better call the engineering firm I am scheduled to start working for in January and tell them I'm too stupid for it. I'm sure they would listen to you seeing how absolutely compelling and persuasive your posts have proven you to be Rolleyes

edit- also, this bickering has gone on long enough so I'm done with it. See you in the next thread.

So it is true. Engineers are only good with math. Enjoy getting fired in a few months, dipshit. Rolleyes

Smurtle Wrote:So it is true. Engineers are only good with math. Enjoy getting fired in a few months, dipshit. Rolleyes

i'm a future engineer.. all i know is math :o

wot if i put my laptop infront of my bed whilst i sleep? im still infront of the keyboard and its still reachable. is that considered "away from keyboard"? because obviously it aint

Hey what is wrong with engenires i am one :icon_twisted:

About this topic
This game was made a long time ago, and was meant to be played by the players, it was not meant to be played by 2nd or 3rd party programs like UOassist that will do all the work for you. Thats why AFK ressource gathering should not be allowed, if you do alow it, then you have to build in a whole new and way more strict ecomecial system, that takes into account that players can play this game 24/7 and not just some houers each day.

Need pots or stangs drop me a PM, i got it all.

Ingame char: Es [SIN]

I bet a lot of the players that are in favor of harder rules on afk macroing already have their characters fully macroed and have their banks full of gold\ingots :lol:

Nex Wrote:The only problem as far as I can see, is that the staff is trying to force their idea of how UO should be played on the playerbase

They're spending time looking over our shoulders and nerfing every ****ing thing that people seem to enjoy, all in the name of protecting their precious economy.

Someone needs to remind them that it's a ****ing game, let the people do whatever they want and let the chips fall where they may

The only thing they're accomplishing with all these bullshit rules is making everyone miserable ; The players and the staff.

On XUO or INX, everyone had a shitload of cash and nobody complained.

Makaveli admits he automined on XUO and did that hurt the economy in any way ?

My answer is no since the economy was even stronger and present, people was running with good armors and we had fun looting them, that's what made Ultima Online come back years after years, even if it was not the same shard.

This is a part of Light's opinion and I'm totally agree with him..

... anyway, going back to macroing.

Holy snapper shrimps with extra butter sauce!
Obviously it did, rofl XUO = dead..

this is what i do and probably will continue to do for a while Big Grin

people know that afk harvesting is ilegal. yes we do have a antimacro gump but this is only for xtreme security so people dont cant make really awesome macros mining recalling restocking etc etc for days or weeks off.

but with that in mind afk harvesting is still illegal. for several reasons a few of them has been brought up already in this post and several others.

if i see a guy using a script to harvest (fishing,lumberjacking,mining,cutting sheeps or picking cotton)

i pop up says hi, if he answers i ask a few other questions so i know its not a script that answers me. then i follow this guys "spamming" somthing to make sure he will answer if hes there i usually put a script to type somthing over and over every 20sec or so and then i follow him for ~5mins then i jail him.

now... i let him be in jail till he gets back. when he gets back he pages for a staff member and i add signs next to them in jail some visible some not (for staff to read)
now if the player gets back when im online i tell him "please do not do this i will be more strict to you next time and i will be wtaching you and your account more often"

then i release them. But they will be jailed untill they get back so they dont gain any profit for the time they are afk.

Somthimes if i see they have a "dumb" macro that goes from one spot to another i send them a message "you were moved due to afk harvesting" and then i put them in like minoc or britain bank (ofcourse only if they are blue) and they can stand there till they get back instead of in jail.

this prevents them from gaining anything.

[Image: ginzodium.jpg]
holding hands <3

MoustaxeOfVanquishin Wrote:Holy snapper shrimps with extra butter sauce!
Obviously it did, rofl XUO = dead..

It died not because people was resource gathering afk'ing, it died because got bored.. it was always the same routine.

you can't do much with Sphere 51a.. but you can do a shitload of things with RunUO.

Odium Wrote:this is what i do and probably will continue to do for a while Big Grin

people know that afk harvesting is ilegal. yes we do have a antimacro gump but this is only for xtreme security so people dont cant make really awesome macros mining recalling restocking etc etc for days or weeks off.

but with that in mind afk harvesting is still illegal. for several reasons a few of them has been brought up already in this post and several others.

if i see a guy using a script to harvest (fishing,lumberjacking,mining,cutting sheeps or picking cotton)

i pop up says hi, if he answers i ask a few other questions so i know its not a script that answers me. then i follow this guys "spamming" somthing to make sure he will answer if hes there i usually put a script to type somthing over and over every 20sec or so and then i follow him for ~5mins then i jail him.

now... i let him be in jail till he gets back. when he gets back he pages for a staff member and i add signs next to them in jail some visible some not (for staff to read)
now if the player gets back when im online i tell him "please do not do this i will be more strict to you next time and i will be wtaching you and your account more often"

then i release them. But they will be jailed untill they get back so they dont gain any profit for the time they are afk.

Somthimes if i see they have a "dumb" macro that goes from one spot to another i send them a message "you were moved due to afk harvesting" and then i put them in like minoc or britain bank (ofcourse only if they are blue) and they can stand there till they get back instead of in jail.

this prevents them from gaining anything.

There are scripts that can detect a GM's presence and that can auto respond. We saw this on INR. I know several ways to verify if someone is AFK and we can discuss them in the Staff forum. I personally am for zero tolerance. The rules say "no afk harvesting" and that's that. If you are caught, you should be punished accordingly. We deleted all the items off the player and sometimes from the bank or house, depending on where they drop it off. Players will do what they can to cheat. That is why everyone is getting all pissy about this. I saw players drop their logs off in a small house somewhere cause they knew GMs would check their bank. I've seen players make a 2nd account and harvest all day, and if they were caught they wouldn't care cause they just make a new account. In the end, we ended all this by logging IP's, watching players closely, etc.

I really think it would be best if you all would just follow the rules. If you know something is illegal, why even try to justify it in the forums? Rolleyes