Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Why the Taming system is flawed.

Bane Wrote:I cant really remember any spawns from IN1 that were out in the open. Most spawns had uber tough monsters guarding them, and there were a lot of times the mount died before you could tame it.

The first year or so mounts were out in the open and not guarded by dungeons. The monsters guarding stang spawns were added later to make things more interesting.

Vulcan Wrote:The first year or so mounts were out in the open and not guarded by dungeons. The monsters guarding stang spawns were added later to make things more interesting.

Ah, well I only started IN1 in Fall 2002, so all I knew of the mounts they were guarded.

On IN1 taming was interesting, dangerous and required skills. It was like a little quest. As example to tame deamon stang, you had to go to destard level 2, where it spawned. Wasn't a problem since you can mark there, but.. there were those little rooms with guardians. You had to teleport to small room and walk in stealth till another teleport tile. Took some time since stealth always failed when you needed and guardians insta-killed you. Plus, there were some invisible teleport tiles, which brings you back to the beggining. So for the first time it used so many nerves.. :mad:. Anyways when you "beat" the first room, you got into bigger area with guardian with eithka, if im right, and stang of course. So you had to go hidden till bridge, herd the mount near you ( you could herd invisible on sphere lol ) and cast wall of stone every 10 second lol to block the mobs away. Then tame and repeat walling. Was awesome Smile. I hope gms will add something similar here too in future.

I'm working on a spawn in a dungeon. Hopefully will be open end of next week. There is also one other spawn I know of that is in a dungeon. We're trying to mix it up more.

Bottom line of that Magus is saying, is the current system is unfair to those who are behind the curve. One guild controls a majority of spawn points and farms them.

Easy fix, make them random spawns. Its not hard, thats how it was on INR and best of all ANYONE can profit this way, if some newbie finds a spawn, he sells the spawn to a tamer, who in turns tames and sells the horse. WIN WIN WIN everyone benefits from this

the spawners are also random so a mount can spawn at any given time between x and y hours, so you can still find them its not impossible.

Cyn Wrote:Bottom line of that Magus is saying, is the current system is unfair to those who are behind the curve. One guild controls a majority of spawn points and farms them.

Easy fix, make them random spawns. Its not hard, thats how it was on INR and best of all ANYONE can profit this way, if some newbie finds a spawn, he sells the spawn to a tamer, who in turns tames and sells the horse. WIN WIN WIN everyone benefits from this

Behind the curve. Sounds like a static house and skills post could form form this.

They're rides. Good god. Bank hugging douche

Cyn Wrote:Bottom line of that Magus is saying, is the current system is unfair to those who are behind the curve. One guild controls a majority of spawn points and farms them.

that point is pretty flawd as anyone who is behind any "curve" is at a disadvantage, spawns will become common knowledge in time just as they did on in1.

Spawns are already random within x amount of tiles in certain locations. It could be everything from 200 tiles to 1000 tiles, depends on the location of the spawner. The respawn timer is also set pretty high, could be everything from 10 hours to 30 hours.
We also have a horse-spawn in a dungeon that spawns at the same place everytime.

As someone said, it seems we're having issues with the taming chance though. According to the script I have set it to 1/1000 chance to tame if you have less than 20% taming than mintameskill on the animal. Guess it's not working very well...

Taran Wrote:Spawns are already random within x amount of tiles in certain locations. It could be everything from 200 tiles to 1000 tiles, depends on the location of the spawner.
Thats not very random O.o

What duke said. That is not random at all.

[Image: sigpicc123.png]

After 1 hour of intense debugging and cursing, I found the problem.
I changed one line of code:
double tamerSkill = m_Tamer.Skills[SkillName.AnimalTaming].Base;
to
double tamerSkill = m_Tamer.Skills[SkillName.AnimalTaming].Value;

When I had the basevalue the algo got completely messed up. Amazing how such as small change can matter so much...

Will take effect after next reboot, then it will be A LOT harder to tame if your tamingskill is below the animal's mintameskill.