Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Return Of Lord Blackthorn

Quote:As he sped through the darkness of the backaley, Jerek heard someone shouting towards him. He couldn't clearly make out what he said; the adrenaline still rushed through his veins and told him to keep moving.
This was not a night for fighting Baron Le Carde's men and trusting strangers

As his noiseless steps reach the woods, Jerek disappears into the black night.

Continuing...

As skilled as a woodsman can be, the depths of the forest is dangerous for normal beings to wander in. What kind of creatures lurked amongst the ancient roots of the first oaks? If one get lost in the forest, the answer may come with the sight or sound of such wonderous beings who make home beyond the eyes of mere men.

But Odeanir was no mere man. The forest knew his magic; it's creatures feared it. Faeries wouldn't try their pranks on him, devils of the mist wouldn't cover his path and snakes would keep their fangs far away from his enchantments.

A good friend for a woodsman, Odeanir would be. And he was. If Jerek feels at completely at ease when sleeping under a tree of the forest during the night, it is part because of his knowledge of the ways of the wilderness and in no small part because of his friendship with Odeanir...
A friendship that started out of Odeanir's love for good beverage; probably his sole reason to mantain contact with the outside world. Still, better ask the forest boy to bring the alcohol in exchange for some gold rather than going to town himself. Still, solitude did make the old wizard appreciate the little conversation that Jerek provided, and soon enough the two would trade words during a whole day. Jerek no longer brought beverage in return to gold then, but out of friendship for the old man who, in turn, decided to teach him some of his arcane magic. Too bad Jerek is rather impatience when dealing with arcane matters, but he managed to ''pick a few tricks along the show'', as Odeanir says...

After fleeing from Baron Le Carde's men, Jerek sneaked his way towards the old wizard's tower. It certainly had seen better days; vines could hide the gray stone of the tower's wall and the roof had a dramatic hole, probably derived from Odeanir's experiments with alchemy. Jerek looked at the old, unlegible sign in front of the door - more precisely, looked at Odeanir's pet crow standing in it. Certainly, through the eyes of the bird, Odeanir knew of Jerek's presence.

After many knocks, a familiar voice was heard...

''Hold your horse, guv! Trying to bring down me old gates, aren't ya? No respect for the elders, no sire...''

With a smile, Jerek removed from his backpack a full bottle of the drink of drinks: Grog. Surely Odeanir would be pround of his both friend and clumsy apprentice.

''Good to see you, old man'' - Jerek says, offering the bottle of Grog to the wizard.

''Always aiming to please, eh guv?'' - Odeanir grins as he takes the bottle off Jerek's hands ''What can old me do for 'ya?''

Jerek sighs.

''That despicable Le Carde is on your trail again, hm? Not a hard thing to guess nowdays'' says Odeanir.

''You tell me, old man? The price on my head was brought up a little, or so the gossip says...That fat pig must be getting bored up in his keep''

''Well well, guv, in a while maybe your head will be worth a couple cows! Har har!'' said Odeanir as Jerek laughed at the now familiar dark humour of the wizard.

For an old man, Odeanir is surprisingly fast. He could leep through the stairs of the ruined tower like he was still a young lad, like Jerek is. After many conversations about the nearby mountains and many debates over the merits of black haired women over blonde women, Odeanir's expressions becomes darker with every passing moment.

''Something bothering you, old man?'' Jerek raised his left eyebrow.

''There...there is a more serious matter I'd like to discuss with 'ya, guv''

Jerek nods.

''I've...I've had this tingling feeling behind my skull ever since I saw...since I saw that man!'' said Odeanir as if his tone of voice could not catch exactly what he really meant.

''What man?'' Jerek asked with his left eyebrow still raised.

''An old man, with a long beard...Looked like a magician, he did!''whispered Odeanir.

''Did you look at yourself in mirror?''

''Very funny, guv! But this ain't a joke. I did not like what he said, not one tiny little bit, I did not...

Tell me one thing guv, have you heard about Lord Blackthorne?''

''Hmmm'' Jerek scratched his chin ''Some insane noble who meddled with dark magic, devils and such? Aye, I've heard this tale before. Got a sword run through his ribs in Yew, isn't that right? So, what about it?''

Odeanir repeated the apparition's to Jerek...

''Hum...did not know you had a perchant for ghost stories, Odeanir''

''Me neither, guv. What worries me is who was that black bearded man. Where did he came from, guv? It's nor right. I've been noticing some weird behavior in the forest's natural cycle for some days now, guv. That doesn't happen at random, y'know. Even if this has nothing to do with Lord Blackthorne...there's still something weird lurking around, guv. Something sinister, I would also add''

''Maybe. But really...There's no reason to believe that this Blackthorne chap is pulling the strings in this one. He got introduced personally to a blade, so he should be dead...right?''

The howl of a wolf is heard as the red sky introduces the black night...Staring through the window, Odeanir says in a serious tone:
''You should be going now, guv. I wouldn't want you wandering in these woods after dark...not under the, uhm, present circunstances.''

''I'll stay alive out there, old man. Always did, remember?'' Jerek smiles to ease Odeanir's worries.

As they step outside, Odeanir emits a loud whistle. After a few seconds, a mare runs through the trees and stop at the tower's gates.

''Edris, take good care of guv here''Odeanir pets the animal's face.

After saying his farewells, Jerek mounts Edris and charges through the old dirt road towards the nearby village; the local inn will provide the good night of sleep in a bed that Jerek hasn't experienced in ages. And that is something he'll need to face the dangers ahead of his path...

Messages In This Thread
The Return Of Lord Blackthorn - by imported_Horacio - 09-04-2007, 06:01 PM
The Return Of Lord Blackthorn - by imported_Horacio - 09-04-2007, 06:05 PM
The Return Of Lord Blackthorn - by imported_Horacio - 09-04-2007, 10:45 PM
The Return Of Lord Blackthorn - by imported_Jerek Stormgard - 09-05-2007, 05:02 AM
The Return Of Lord Blackthorn - by imported_Fable - 09-05-2007, 09:03 PM
The Return Of Lord Blackthorn - by imported_Fable - 09-06-2007, 04:38 PM
The Return Of Lord Blackthorn - by Atreides - 09-07-2007, 06:08 AM
The Return Of Lord Blackthorn - by imported_Fable - 09-07-2007, 05:20 PM
The Return Of Lord Blackthorn - by Atreides - 09-08-2007, 07:26 AM