Imagine Nation Forums

Full Version: New server ordered
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

smoke

LudaKrishna Wrote:what about the char smoke from xuo2?

hmm that's a good question, would i be allowed taran considering that character got deleted all together?
Didn't you already transfer that char?
since it got deleted, it's like it never got transfered at all...
Or its like, it got transfered and deleted because of bad behavior. Cant get it back Wink!
deleted is deleted...

Eighty Swords

LudaKrishna Wrote:since it got deleted, it's like it never got transfered at all...

It got deleted because of someone's own stupidity (ie they quit and deleted it) OR they did something stupid and got it deleted as punishment.

Once again though... XUO2 is NOT the XUO we got transfers from... XUO2 was ran by Jakko, we get transfers from the XUO Maka ran.
Eighty Swords Wrote:It got deleted because of someone's own stupidity (ie they quit and deleted it) OR they did something stupid and got it deleted as punishment.

Once again though... XUO2 is NOT the XUO we got transfers from... XUO2 was ran by Jakko, we get transfers from the XUO Maka ran.

this is smoke at scarecrows house we playing some assains creed 2

but on topic i got my account deleted due to my own fault your right, no need to point out whats already said i'm asking a simple question no need to get defensive it's not like i haven't worked for everything i own

and with your xuo1 and xuo2 discussions you have no idea what you're talking about stop confusing everyone with incorrect information

tus nuclear fallout or failure (don't really remember the name) was OLD XUO
xuo 1 was ran by jakko
xuo 2 was makas remake
inx is what were playing today

maka didn't have 2 shard remakes..
ScareCrow Wrote:and with your xuo1 and xuo2 discussions you have no idea what you're talking about stop confusing everyone with incorrect information

tus nuclear fallout or failure (don't really remember the name) was OLD XUO
xuo 1 was ran by jakko
xuo 2 was makas remake
inx is what were playing today

maka didn't have 2 shard remakes..

So in other words you've decided not to count the TUS/Sphere-shards as XUO-versions, but instead start with RunXUO as "XUO 1", and Makas XUO as "XUO 2" ? Well that will confuse people considering most people would count the TUS-shards as XUO-shards as well, just like Mr Eighty is doing. It may be true that most people who is playing here now may not "know" about the TUS/Sphere shards, but still, there is really no reason in my eyes to say "XUO 2" if there has been several more XUO versions, because there will always be people who will get confused (the ones who did play), and to the ones who didn't it won't really matter, it'll just be easier to say "latest XUO" or "Makas XUO" or whatever works for them :]

The XUO-shards in line as I remember them:

XUO 1 (by Bakou and Mark, hosted when real n.o.v.u.s Opiate went down, ages ago)

XUO 2 (hosted by Jakko and Bakou after a merge between Jakkos old servers host and Bakous XUO-shard, mark got banned for cheating at this point. This is the most sucessful XUO version up to date in my eyes, not the best version but the most successful one, where we had over 250 players on at some times, it would be a shame not to count this version in as a XUO-version, since this is the version most old players remember when they think about how great XUO was back in the days)

RunXUO (XUO 3) (Bakou quit a while back on XUO2, so Jakko, Fallzone, Strife and a couple of other people decided to create a XUO version on RunUO cause it was safer against cheating, and you could script more advanced stuff if you knew how. A while into the creation of this shard Maka joined up to help them out). RunXUO went down cause of several reasons, but mainly (as I remember it) because the shard turned into too much of a AoS-shard, with modified weapons, armor, etc. It simply wasn't that much of a "sphere replica" anywhere, so I believe that plus some more stuff like economics for example was the reason why it closed down.

Makas XUO (XUO 4). Maka wanted to remake Sphere on RunUO the way he wanted it to be, so he did that, and this was the result. A very good, close to flawless XUO shard, safe from most types of cheating and not much bugs to be found, it was a great shard, but what it lacked was the none-PK players, the roleplayers, the real dedicated hunters, etc).

IN-X A merge between Imagine Nation and XUO, to get a higher playerbase and more roleplayers & hunters, plus a better world-feel to shard (better dungeons, better decorated towns, etc).

I would say that's about it, at least that's all I can remember at this point, it's been so long, but what we can determine out of this storyline is that unless we decide NOT to count the sphere/tus-versions as XUO versions there is way more than two XUO-versions to be counted :]

Anyways just had to write a reply there to end this argument before it got out of hand, we don't need anymore flamewars here, so lets just stop this discussion here and get back to the original discussion, shall we? :]

Regards,
Hate

Edit: Thanks to Maka for making a more detailed post about RunXUOs history lower down in this thread. Chro must've slipped by me completely, I can't even remember him but I suppose he was there if Maka says so [Image: eeksmiley2.gif] I guess it could be because I was hosting another shard for a while there in the beginning, and was not really that involved in RunXUO at that point.
Thanks for clearing that up Hate! I was getting a little confused myself, especially since I knew almost nothing about XUO's history.

Just so we all stay on the same page here, transfers will only be from Maka's XUO and IN:R. No other versions of either shard will have transferred characters.
Shade Wrote:Just so we all stay on the same page here, transfers will only be from Maka's XUO and IN:R. No other versions of either shard will have transferred characters.

And I hoped it to be a big christmas gift so I could transfer my old char from runxuo Sad

maka

Shade Wrote:Thanks for clearing that up Hate! I was getting a little confused myself, especially since I knew almost nothing about XUO's history.

Think there is a link somewhere on the page, it is how ever not all that detailed so I'll make an attemptTongue

This might be boring to most and it has no importance at all and it is definitely off topic, but this post has first hand information of how the [Run]XUOs started, ended, what grew from it/them and how. Its here to clarify some things, even if it doesn't really matter, just see it as a non-mandatory class of RunXUO history:p I just couldn't sleep and the feeling of nostalgia snuck up on me.

"RunXUO"
RunXUO was the baby of Chro, he created the foundation and concept and no one else. He went to Jakko with it and Jakko got impressed and decided to give it a try as injection and crashes were really a bother at that time. Jakko, Fallzone and Chro was in from the start, I think strife tagged a long a bit later (not 100% sure when). Only devs in the beginning were head dev Chro and Strife to some extend. Fallzone might have done tweaks but I do not think he was coding. Jakko (no offence) has never done anything for RunXUO but provide the hosting.

My story on RunXUO started as a player, then a helpful player [script wise], got promoted to Couns, then to GM, Seer, Dev and finally to [a coding machine] Admin. The reason to why I abandoned the RunXUO project however, was not cause it was too "roleplayish", it was cause we (Only me and Strife at that time, and long before that too) had no clear direction or goal in regards to where we wanted to take the server. We wanted different things and result of that were a major jumble and a shard that was beyond saving. There was a lot of stuff done that I didn't agree with and that stuff was done without asking me. Some of these things lead to major inflation in the game and essentially removed all the worth of items and skills.

That was actually one of the reasons things (skills/items) were so hard to get in the beginning of INX (no clue how it is now). I didn't want to make the same mistake that I saw happen with RunXUO, so, before I was sure that the balance was good, I chose too see it as this; You can save a server if loots are bad quantity/quality wise or if monsters are too hard, but If you've pumped in weapons, gold, items (but also items that are from a different era than the one you are trying to emulate) and all kinds of hunting and skill bugs, then only save is a wipe.

Therefore, the reason to why "RunXUO" died was due to inflation, an excess of random ML/Samurai items on a sphere lookalike, lack of development after I left and cause of poor scripts. RunXUO was kind of a learning project for all the coders, which is this case was Chro, Strife and me, in chronological order:p RunXUO was actually the first successful sphere emulation on runuo and we were kind of "stalked" on the RunUO forums:p

Anyways, Chro was not on the team for a long time (he was however the guy with the idea and he set the foundation), Strife went on to code on his ideal server, a AoS/ML mix (if I'm remembering right), and I went on to make mine, "Makas XUO".

"Makas XUO"
My server had good quality code and it was, according to me, the perfect shard of its kind. My reasons for closing the server down how ever, was not the fact that the scripts were bad, it was due to the fact that I believe it was slowly dying due to dwindling player population. The server was so niched at PvP that everything else got kind of discarded. The PvP part was wonderful (according to "us":p) and even though the [15~50] people playing might not have seen it, or even agreed with me, I was sure that a pure PvP server is going for certain death in the long run.

There are not enough people that play a server solely for the "XUO PvP" and that leads to low population. Low server population leaves you with a lack of "free world" PvP that leads to boredom, even for the 1337 pekayz. PvPers often forget that they would probably enjoy playing a server that is a little bit different from their niche if there were 20 people in destard every time they recalled.

So, my attempt at saving the old [PvP] play style and feel, as I do not believe in sphere, was to go back and fiddling with the recipe. I knew that what a PvP shard needed was players, but I also knew that a PvP shard wouldn’t attract any new ones. The perfect answer was a merge.

The beginning of the merge and the end of "Makas XUO" For a merge to work I needed to find a server with a high population, Sphere style game play and *cough* lack of developers (so that I actually have something to offer, as a maximum of 50 players isn't that great). I found IN:R, started "spying", and noticed it had all of that. IN:R (or rather, IN) even had something more, it had a working non-PvP concept. (Please, I'm not talking bad about the PvP "you" guys had, what I'm trying to say is that you had so much more than just PvP.) I tried to get in touch with Coldrake and Rob (?) but got discarded, not sure why, but I guess that what I said I could do was considered bragging/lies.

At some point, while playing other servers, I got in touch with slaquer (I think it was cause he ran a server and I was considered a bugger). We spoke with each other on MSN but nothing more really. Some time later, he found out of what I was trying to do (which was "save" Sphere game play and XUO). He then referred me to Coldrake and I then managed to get an "audience". I think he got it by testifying that I could do what I told them I could, and he got that by being on my server (or by knowing people on my server). Coldrake, Rob and then some others logged on to one of the XUO versions and that is kind of where the real deal began.

We started talking and arguing, both "sides" wanting to save what we held dear. I did how ever not want to work for "a server", I wanted to work for XUO, and as the essence of XUO to me was the PvP, I was kind of rock solid on that point (IN:R was in REAL need of developers). I think these discussions were going on for like two or so weeks on the less famous "staff merge forums", where Taran, even then, was a front figure for the IN "side". We essentially "agreed" (this is something that was still a big issue when I left) on a concept we thought could work: IN with XUO PvP. We figured that if we had something to attract players that felt the game was more than just PvP, the people burning for PvP would benefit too however, even if they might not see it as such. We also thought that the players coming from the stripped down and niched XUO would grow to enjoy the new aspects of the game too.

Anyways, back to the topic, the closing of "Makas XUO". After those two weeks, when we at least had a plan, I announced that I would be closing XUO down for a new and better server. People were informed of our plans from the merge forum, but some disagree. They were sceptical to the idea but I gave them the promise that I would not change the PvP aspect of the game, even thought we might have a lot of people against us, and that a lot of players benefit the PvPers too. "Makas XUO" finally closed down, with players still playing, and we started working towards something bigger.

The End
As a little ending of this story I'd like to say that I still believe in the IN-X concept. If there is a UO shard that should work and bring joy, it is this one.

Bye again:p?
Nice explanation, good to hear from you Smile!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5