Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Give the shard to the players

There was many things that could be done and wasn't. Players and admins. The fact that people just let go and give up even after going so long. This is the most busiest I have seen the forums in a while... cause the server is going down. Funny how we are told no one has time and yet they can post about all of this no problem. Both admins and players.
We all hate to see it go down.

Mito Wrote:It would be nice if someone like Nasir, Eru or even Overdose(xd) would continue with the shard

To be honest, I'm pretty flaky with personal projects. After we merged with XUO I would come and go at random. Every time a vagina comes around, I pretty much drop everything. At best, I could host the shard, but I wouldn't pay out of pocket and keeping the server up would be 100% out of donations. It would be bound to go down. Taran was in a good position by using a server at his house with an awesome Swedish internet connection. That kept bandwidth costs down.

I'm also not really interested in emulating Sphere anymore. I never was, really. I started IN:Reborn because I wanted to keep IN alive, not sphere gameplay. If I ever create another shard, I might use the IN name and IN statics, but I'm 99% certain it would be more like IN2 (>= AoS). A lot less focus on deviating from stock RunUO and more focus on entertainment and website integration. It would need to be something new, not an attempt to recreate a nostalgic feeling.

Don't fret though. Many people have the code for this shard (although not the worldsaves). I'm pretty sure someone will, eventually, use IN code (or parts of it) to create something new. UO interest goes in cycles.

Only a few have the code from this server though, so I'm pretty sure I would know who leaked the scripts if a server comes online with the scripts we used. A bunch of people had access to outdated INX scripts though.
But I doubt anyone will use it.

Well, I placed this on the thread where Taran announces the shutting down of the shard, "We had a good run (shutting server down)", after reading this, one I decided to copy my contribution over to this one:

Quote:First of all let me say that I really appreciate all the effort that Taran put up running Imagine-Nation once again.

I am proud to say that I am an old veteran of the IN Community! I am proud to say that in a given time I have also give and gave up certain things for this game, being a grandmaster, seer, admin... on IN servers alongside with Krystal Myth a.k.a. Coldrake, Arya, Carding, Aed, Raven, and several others and also working with Wiz, Carding and Arya creating Phantasya that is now run by Pegaso, (I believe that it's still running...)

I have made many friends and some enemies along the way, but one thing is certain, the community grew, almost all the players grew up, got a degree, married, got kids, started working, et caetera... the IN Community while banded together by a bound that only IN could create exists in the spirit of those that played on any given rebuilt shard that is a part of the Imagine-Nation memorabilia.

With this said, my list of characters from over the years:

IN1: Rackull [DoD] / [CoD] / [Obscurum], Salarth Uriel
IN2: Rackull [DoD] / [Celestia], Legion[Obscurum]
IN:R: Rackull
IN:X: Rackull
Phantasya: Rackull
Imagine Nation: Rackull

I enjoyed playing on a role-play environment, in the good old days, I enjoyed to have the possibility to extend the experience to others while I was given such a chance, but most of all what I really enjoyed was the people behind the chars, many friends where created, that surpassed a game to real life, many of them exist now as professional connections on LinkedIn and some others remain trustworthy friends on Facebook. People I could always count on as friends. I have seen marriages, I have seen births within this community, I have also seen drama and got burned out by the time that running or staffing a shard/site requires, as so I understand and highly respect Taran decision, a hard one to make from my experience...

This brotherhood created by the many generation of IN followers, is what defines us as a Community and not the shard itself, of course that I would be more than happier to have IN1 online so that I could come to as an escape of my day to day work and fathering my only and most desired child, to play with some old friends, but even then, most of us have life's that do not comply with the excess of youth and most of us could not be reunited in-game even if we tried to.

Such is life, and within a persistent world as Ultima Online, in-game encounters are difficult for those that have a IRL life to manage.

With this said, Kudos to Taran and all the staff, but most of all KUDOS to all the people that made and still make this Community the best ever on the history of Ultima Online experience.

Taran Wrote:Only a few have the code from this server though, so I'm pretty sure I would know who leaked the scripts if a server comes online with the scripts we used. A bunch of people had access to outdated INX scripts though.
But I doubt anyone will use it.
My niece asked me to run it at our house and give them lots of free stuff so that's about the extent of what I'll do with it. Big Grin She was the one that ran around britain for like a week taming stray cats and had like 100 cats/horses/dogs following her around.

My nephew is wanting me to give him lots of items or something so he can kill dragons. He's 10 and very excited by the idea.

Anyone heard anything of Yanko lately? Do they still have that ownage old-ass server on xs4all? xd If they didn't junk that PC yet , Mita why don't you put XUO files from 3 years ago on there? Few event supplier and XML spawners and we have autosupplied area, and I'd be able to kill ya few times if you feel like XDD

Like this arena that Eru made on INX ;p

[Image: main.jpg]

Edit: P.S. I know these scripts are from INX but I thought making world as big as 10x10 tiles can't be considered as running a shard? ;p I just know that if host is still there then it's most likely isn't used, and this way I myself(and maybe other people) definitely would hit up few people at msn to log in for a few fights, once in a while at least xd Plus these scritps were located on that host for ages, so well not like anybody new will get their hands on it.

And dunno why you guys (Loki & Nasir) are into AoS so much XD. I mean yeah we had a situation with items when eventually everyone could craft everything, but does it have anything to do with sphere? I mean we could limit the recepies amount one character can learn and so on. Although I think we never had too strong economy because items weren't worth the effort/the resources that are required to craft it. I mean, nobody could allow themselves to run with top armor and so on, because two naked gankers(or even one) could kill practically anyone, and regardless how expensive items were, we had no single item that would somehow reduce the incoming damage, and I'm not sure how good that is for MMORPG where items take a long time to find/create.

Not that I have anything against AoS, but I just think that UO is bad basis if you want to create something new. UO would be last place where I'd try to find something I haven't seen, so I'm with nostalgia feeling XD

You really gotta try AoS to see why it is so much better. Every single IN1 player freaked out at the changes between Sphere and runUO, but the ones who stuck with it realised why it (IN2) was so much better.

Skill cap = classes, working economy, more player interactions, reasons to hunt in parties, more varied and dynamic PvP, more skillful PvP (you need to learn how to fight many types of opponent) in some respects (Sphere PvP also has other types of skill, all UO PvP does, but the AoS way is a lot of fun in itself). Also trades have value because they are inherently rarer, rather than just a ball ache to train. Things can be balanced and not break the server without being a soulless grindfest.

That's one reason, then there are:
Better monster AI, champion spawns, more types of equipment, more useful craftables (again better economy), some actually good new skills (Necro and Chivalry work pretty well, not a fan of the newer stuff)

There are some things that suck (and would need disabling): Insurance, artefacts, stat powerscrolls

But relatively it is easier to balance and perfect than Sphere-style is. Sphere is like trying to make your Ford model T run like a modern car, AoS is like getting a 911 and just adding air conditioning.

Also AoS is less effort for the staff (and this is a BIG deal) because PvE is more fun, varies more and keeps players interested, also the economy works better and there are lots of anti-harassment and abuse things built-in (res confirming, gate confirming etc.) so staff time isn't wasted on crap and the pressure for non-stop events and economic fixing is less. Also champ spawns, champ spawn raids etc. are like free player-initiated events.

Anyway I ramble too much, but I do get the feeling that if someone could be bothered to try and run an IN2 or Phantasya clone that Nasir and myself would probably be willing to help with/provide scripts. I can't speak for him but I imagine Cana would probably also help, at least for fix my mistakes Tongue I personally think it would be a great idea but running a server is too much effort for me and also waiting for the playerbase to build up can be tough. It'd be great to have an IN/Phant server still around for the community and I honestly think the AoS-phobes among you would see the benefits if you tried it with the lame stuff (insurance etc.) disabled. That said, it would be a lot of work, like I said in another thread, which is why it's easy to burn out (I did with Phant) and it's tough to continue when after many years you lose your interest (like Taran), which is why I am skeptical there is anyone who is willing/suited to do it.

I feel that if I/we/someone started a new shard, I might be able to set up a process that could prevent getting burned out, especially if we didn't have to worry about tweaking every god damn aspect of RunUO. If we pushed out small, discrete features as opposed to giant systems.

I was also thinking that I *might* be able to apply a psuedo-CQRS architecture to a site for a shard where the entire state of the RunUO server is eventually cached in a Mongo database without effecting RunUO server performance. Would provide some pretty interesting/unique web interactivity.

Technically, if I pushed every packet (command) the server receives into a queue to be processed elsewhere for other purposes, I could use that same queue to do rollbacks to any exact period in time, not just the last world-save. Fuuck-me, that would be fun. Shit, I could even do a rollback that omits all the packets from a single person.... effectively undoing something bad just like punching a hole in a donut.

(if you can't tell, i love thinking of these sort of things :\ ...actually putting the time into implementing them is another story.)

Nasir Wrote:(if you can't tell, i love thinking of these sort of things :\ ...actually putting the time into implementing them is another story.)
ha! I have the same problem. If you open something up and need website stuff done, that's kindof my thing and I have a place for the site. Tongue

AOS without insurance and arties would be pretty epic tbh

Well somebody get to work !