Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Imagine Nation shard is no more

As you already know I have been inactive for quite some time now. I thought I would have gotten my interest in UO back by now but unfortunately I haven't. There are several reasons for this but that doesn't really matter.

I first started playing Ultima Online on Imagine Nation way back when it was first created. Eventually I staffed there and helped out with scripting as well. I never played IN2 and didn't play UO for a long time. Not until I heard that Imagine Nation: Reborn was about to launch did I start playing again. I asked Coldrake if I could help out and started staffing there as well.
Unfortunately IN:R was too buggy and broken to succeed and that's when we got in contact with Maka from Xtreme Ultima Online and created the merge Imagine Nation: Xtreme after a while. I was a Seer there and when Maka eventually stepped down he asked me to take over for him, which I did.
The merge didn't go quite as well as expected though, so ultimately I decided to shut that server down. Which I now think was probably good.
After a while Shade (who helped me out a lot on IN:X) started talking about recreating another Imagine Nation clone based on the IN:X scripts. I didn't have the time to help him out at the time and I didn't think he was that serious. But I told him that he could go ahead and use the scripts and sure enough, a few months later he and Eru had done an awesome job recreating IN once again. By this time I could help out again and took a place next to Shade.
And while we are talking about Shade. I announced that he was dead, which is what I was told. But a while after I made that post I got told that he wasn't in fact dead. To this day I still don't know if Shade is alive or not, which is also why I never announced it.

Anyway, enough history lessons.
I've had a lot of fun recreating Imagine Nation and chatting with old friends again. To tell the truth I never thought we would hit 200+ players, but we did! I can't even begin to explain how excited I was when this happened and I think a lot of you were as excited as I was.
But, for several reasons the playerbase started shrinking. There's no way to tell for sure why that happened. I know a bunch of people think it's because of the lack of staff activity, but the playerbase started to decline when staff were still active. It didn't help that most staff went inactive eventually, but it wasn't the main issue.

So because of my lack of interest and Eru's busy schedule, and a few other reasons, I've decided to shut this server down. I will keep the forums open for the sake of the community though. Maybe Imagine Nation will live again in one way or another, but for now it's over. I will leave the server running until the end of the month, July 31st, and make a backup of the current world save. So take this opportunity to equip and brag about your items and mounts, hehe. Or just run around and say hello to old friends.

As I said, I had a lot of fun on this shard and I want to thank everyone, both staff and players, who helped this shard to grow and become a great place to play on. Smile

Oh and if you didn't already know, I had two playerchars, Saragok [Goblin] and Arthas [SIN]. Had some fun times with both of them as well Smile
Take care!

Say it aint so!

Well it was fun being in Goblin with you while it was around

Oh hey, everyone is posting their old chars!

Fulmanar IN1/IN2/INR SMS/BoJ/BoL/Woodland Merchants
Maga Thraka [Goblin]
And I was Xerxes

I guess nothing can change your mind and I understand lack of interest, but consider that the playerbase isnt that bad actually. We still have around 20+, which is more than most shards have. So just shutting it down would really be a shame and a waste of all the time and efford you put into this shard. If you do not wish to host the shard any further it is understandable, but maybe someone else wants to. IN could and should live until really all interest is lost, including the very last bunch of players.
Well just my thoughts and my request to not just give IN up. Smile If you do not change your mind or find any other way to keep IN going: Thank you guys for all what you have done. I have had a great time on this shard, even if it wasnt that long. I can really say it was the best shard I know (And i know quite a bunch).

I have to say I never expected any incarnation of IN to still exist in 2012, I think the server had a good run and perhaps it could have lasted longer but it didn't pan out that way. I've enjoyed playing and staffing here and it's been great to catch up with some of the old players who were around. All good things come to an end and I suspect the fading nostalgia and aging playerbase played a big part both for the staff and players in that respect.

I hope the community will use the forum to stay in touch, perhaps some other game, server or whatnot will come along someday...

- GM Loki IN1/IN2/IN, Carding [SIN] IN1, Garrik [S] IN2, Jacen [SIN] IN

Cue the posts about donations.

EDIT: oh, and Prototype

Does anyone have any ideas to keep the IN community alive short of building a new shard? If we could come up with feature ideas for a formal IN Hub that will keep us interested in maintaining contact, I'd be more than willing to put time into building that.

If we can get a few solid ideas down, it might be worth making a new thread.

*pouts*

I really wish you wouldn't shut it down but I guess the decision is made. Thank you to the staff and Taran for hosting/running the shard, it was fun while it lasted.

Thou shalt shut thine server downith not.

Would you be interested in selling the shard? Or distributing the scripts?

I'd continue to host Imagine Nation on my own server.

Don't give it away. You know you'll be back in another year or two!

Dragonfyre Wrote:Would you be interested in selling the shard? Or distributing the scripts?

I'd continue to host Imagine Nation on my own server.

I already asked if Taran would open source the scripts. He said no, but he's not closed to the idea passing them on with explicit permission. I'd assume you would probably have to be someone he knows/trusts, but I can't put words in his mouth ;\