Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dropping Weapons When Casting

Is this just a part of the combat system? I keep dropping my weapons when healing and casting spells. Is this the preferred way for pvp to be conducted?

Just curious.

Wondering if we could do a vote on it, I like being able to keep my weapons and shield up or at least a shield and spell book?

I have already raised this dispute, i personally have never played a sphere .51a server with disarm while casting and healing...

I consider it quite the joke. but really you get used to it here.

Considering, weapons aren't really needed for pvp lol...

And if need be, just make a quick Hotkey/macro to rearm your self pretty simple, using the in game UO options hotkeys section, or razor or injection ect...

But no point in raising a dispute about it, it won't be changed..

I haven't even seen a gm on in weeks.if that tells you anything.

Im pretty sure disarming on casting was hard coded into sphere 0.51a. I think 55i allowed casting with things in your hands.

there are GMs on. and with .51a it was like this. weapons are needed too in pvp 1v1

I was hosting .51a servers for ages back in the day.

It was hard coded, but it had a boolean on/off 0/1 option in the ini file, for disarming with casting.

as for the using the aids or bandages, it was hard coded to NOT disarm.

But again i just never really played any popular sphere server with disarmings for either, but then again i haven't played much in 10 years so who knows lol.

either way get used to it here i suppose, what are ya gonna do.

Disarming when casting makes great sence and have always been a part of the IN PvP for the 10+ years that IN have existed.
The reason and great idear with the disarm is that it makes room for a few more tactics and dimensions in PvP where you can paralyze your enemy with a weapon equiped, that way he can´t cast spells. All you then got to do is wall him on both sides cast a firefield and whack him to death.

I think if firefield still dealt as much as it deals here and it was impossible to interrupt opponent's spells like dispel field/GH, like we got it here then that tactic might've worked ten years ago, but now I barely imagine anyone dying like that. Paralyzing with weapon in hands is still useful though, but is very easy to avoid(it is also has to do with time, people who play uo mainly vet's), which makes it more or less useless too...
Since it's IN reacreation I understand why it's there, but if it was made this way mainly because of PvP tactic and not because of nostalgia I'd vote to remove it, because the tactic you described wouldn't work unless fire-field started to deal ~ 30-40 damage each time. But crosswalling/FFing never been interesting tactic, to me at least... And in my experience it was used only on fizzle PvP, and there it is really powerful.

I think FF did more damage and (like all spells in 51a) there was a chance to cause fizzles, but it was fairly random, you had to get the animation where the character goes "ahhh!" and waves his shield-holding arm in the air in order to cause a fizzle. I did a bit of checking on 51a and any spell could cause a fizzle this way but it's rare, like a critical effect, and because it is so random I'm not in favour of bringing it back. FF also did more damage, but couldn't be stacked up like it can here. So X-wall FF worked pretty well on the original IN, but it really doesn't bother me that it doesn't work so well now.

Personally I am indifferent about casting/bandages disarming weapons, I don't think it plays an important role since most people have auto-macroes for it. If there was enough player support to change it then I would also support a change. However, since it is a stylistic thing and (because of auto macroes) has little effect on PvP then that sort of decision is not mine to make.

Just want to add that if such a change was made then paralyze may need some sort of buff because it would be a lot less useful. I am not sure what though. How would people feel if paralyze was restored to its original mechanic - locks spell casting, but leaves you able to use items (the opposite of what we have now) and a very short (under 8s) duration?

When I say original mechanic I mean the runUO one, it's not very sphere-like though, so I expect it probably won't be a popular idea, and I'm not really suggesting it, just flagging up the fact that I don't want a change that makes a spell (paralyze) completely useless so if we changed disarm on cast then we'd need to find something for para to do.

Loki Wrote:How would people feel if paralyze was restored to its original mechanic - locks spell casting, but leaves you able to use items (the opposite of what we have now) and a very short (under 8s) duration?

Would be neat to see people carrying trapped pouches for use when paralyzed.

I don't think paralyze needs a buff, though. It is indeed easy to avoid being paralyzed with weapon in hands, but thats because the penalty if you were is great. If somebody paraed you this way out in the wilderness while having explosion potions with him, then you will be having hard time trying to survive. And if hes not alone to follow ya, then he don't need anything, only to gather his friends around you and time their FS...
And even when it's 1vs1 - the guy can crosswall you, drop explosions on your tile and so on. I know theres a limit on how many explosions can be exploded in same time, but that was made exactly because this tactic was like insta kill... I used it for a while, and it really was. As well as paralyze wands removal, it was made just so people can never get paralyzed with weapon in hands without having only themselves to blame.

Paralyze might have not so big use in 1vs1 and would do with a buff, but it certainly doesn't need a buff in ganking... Although, if paralyze would finally start fizzling recall - that would be helpful ;p

Buff was the wrong choice of word, I just mean an alternative mechanic which prevents it from becoming useless. That is if anything changes, which it may not, like I said not really my decision and unless there is a lot of player support for it I wouldn't want a change either.