Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

GM's should encourage RP by removing name change rule.

If GM's want to encourage RP then they must remove the friction that prevents players from joining an RP guild.

The current policy as I've been told by a GM is that name changes are only allowed in rare cases and players must write a story to get a name change. I can see having a player write a story if he is interested in RP items. I don't however see the point to it when a player named Phil McKracken has a change of heart considering his doodness and wants to change his name to something more RP oriented in order to join an RP guild. Asking such a player to write a story is just pointless red tape and prevents the growth of the RP community.

There is the argument that someone who chooses a silly name in the first place cannot be that serious about RP. My experience is that this is not always true. I've seen players become really good RPers after receiving a name change and joining an RP guild.

There is also the worry that player X will use the guise of joining an RP guild so he can get a name change because he has a poor reputation with his current name. Once player X receives the name change he will then quit the RP guild and no longer RP. This will likely happen but I think it will be a rare occurrence. And when it does happen the end result would still be a positive one anyway. Player X whose name was something silly like PooperScooper now has a more respectable name like Nym, and thus the status page has one less silly name on it. When potential RP oriented players think of joining a server they will check the status page. If they see too many silly names they move on.

One other thing to worry about is players seeking name changes to join an RP guild when in actuality the guild is not RP and simply use the rule to get their members name changes. What I suggest is that RP guilds form an RP association (there may be one already). The association polices itself regarding who belongs in or not and only guilds part of the association have the perk of requesting name changes for potential members. This name change rule would only apply when a player has an unacceptable name and wants to join an RP guild.

Right now there is not a strong RP community on the server. I think this change would help to start to create one.