Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Auto-Greeter

I always thought about scripting something like this when I ran a forum but I have a tendency to be lazy, and thought I might bring up the idea for these forums.

I wanted to be able to make a dummy account (let's say Greeter for this example) who makes a post in a certain forum section (say "New Players") that automatically creates a thread when somebody creates a forum account. So you make an account and immediately see your name in the title of a thread posted by Greeter, which basically would welcome them to the forum and explain a little bit about the website, or in this case the shard. It could provide links to helpful guides for new players, rules for the shard and forum, remind them to vote frequently, even ask them to describe themselves a little if you want.

I ended up scrapping this idea because my host was a real nut-buster and it was a pretty large forum to begin with so I didn't want the extra clutter but I figured I'd toss the idea out here see what people think. It may even spark a little more activity on the forums making people feel welcome here. I know the shard is aimed at being non-carebear but no reason why we all can't be friendly on the boards. Smile