Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

thoughts on developing an RP community and the need for an Order RP guild

I noticed that there are several RP chaos guilds as well as a lot of red PK types that like to hang around Britain bridge, but i haven't noticed any RP guilds that are order. I also haven't noticed a lot of RP, but I am new to the server, and have mostly been hunting graveyards and banking in Britain.

This server is getting more popular and the opportunity is here to create an RP environment with an RP narrative that gives players who are oriented towards RP to join in. From what I've observed and from just looking at the status page and names of characters I would say the server is about evenly split between players that are oriented towards RP and those that are what are commonly referred to as "doodz." I use this term not to disparage anyone who may fall under this category but to show the dichotomy that exists on the server.

Well what is RP you ask? RP differs for every individual. Some enjoy creating story-lines and background to their character while some prefer to give their character a personality and stay within that character. There are some basics though which are essential to RP. To RP you have to accept the fictional setting of your environment. UO is the setting and your character has a role to play in it. In other words your character is not an extension of your real life identity, he or she is a living breathing character with a personality in a fictional setting.

This is the view of the Rper. This is not the view of the doodz, who do not consider UO to be an environment that is restrictive to UO. What I mean by this is they don't consider the toon they are controlling to be a character. Instead it's just an extension of their real life identity. This is a major difference in game styles and they can have a major affect on each other. If you are in an environment where 80% of individuals are acting one way it is only natural that you will slowly evolve (or devolve) into similar behavior patterns. If you play on a server with the intent to RP your character but find you are drastically outnumbered and that the dominant community acts a certain way that is contrary to how you intended to play your character, you are likely to mimic the behavior of the accepted community.

When a new player goes to Britain and all they ever see are doodz using acronyms and abbreviations like: lol, ur, np, ty, lmao, they may reject this in a conscious way, but subconsciously they may feel less comfortable to RP. I'm by no means suggesting doodz should not be aloud on the server. As an Rper it is very easy for me to inject dood behavior as well as PK types into an RP narrative; they are simply the gadgies, hoodlums, neds, villains, etc. And I think that quantity of player base is important and thus Taran should allow all comers. I am just saying that the RP oriented players on the server should do our best to foster an RP environment. It's not enough to just write an RP storyline and get your RP items. You have to do more.

Now let me get back to what I think Order needs to do to establish itself and do its part as it concerns RP. Like I said, as I see it now, it is the chaos guilds that are more RP oriented. Chaos is naturally fragmented because part of chaos is a rejection of authority, but also because the criminality element of chaos lends itself to being efficient in small groups. Order on the other hand is most effective with a good structure, with a hierarchy, and with rewards that do not always bring instant gratification. This is similar to real life where criminality brings instant gratification while honor is often delayed.

So my idea for a strong RP order guild is this. We create a guild based on honor, on delayed gratification, on developing relationships and story-lines, and on helping the innocent wherever it is they need help. We hunt PK's as well as put our efforts towards fighting red RP guilds. The latter we do respectfully and not wade into the gluttony of instant gratification to which they cannot help themselves. If they kill us in our sleep we will refrain because we are honorable and they are not.

We will be more than a guild. We will be a Kingdom. We will pull our gold together and create this Kingdom . It may be on an island or on the mainland, but wherever it it will be home to all of those who wish to fight for honor. We will be governed by a sovereign, preferably a Queen and we will be loyal to her and to each other.

I have been in such guilds before. I was the King and GM of a similar guild on my last server. For this kind of guild we will need 10 people in the beginning. We will set up the structure: the Queen, the Queens Council, the Captain of the Army, and the Army.

Well this is what i feel order needs. A strong presence and a strong guild. PM if you want to help put this together.

Sounds like a great idea to me. One thing I've noticed is a ton of people running around with highly customize clothes / gear / skin and barely anyone is RPing or speaking when around large numbers of people. I'm sure they RP just fine around their friends and guilds, but in order to foster a more RP environment I agree that they should probably do it more around others as well.

Anyway good idea, I would be interested in something like this. Though I'm not sure my character would be Wink

Good initiative Hal.

I'd also like to input that everyone that has RP rewards such as special items or skin are required to RP at all times when speaking in public. This does not include partychat, guildchat, alliancechat or public chat. But when speaking in the game they must always RP. If you see someone with a skin color or RP items and they are not roleplaying please send an "Another player is harassing me" page which will include a speechlog for staff to view.

This is a tiny thing but something missing to me is Hail. When I was playing IN1 it was the greeting of choice by all, and it set the tone for any new player that people on this shard like to RP a little, so please respect that. I never see it nowadays, so I'll try to use it more on this iteration of the shard, maybe it'll catch on.

On the topic of order and chaos, are there any 'rules' for joining a faction. E.g., are order players allowed to PK at whim or is it anything goes and you just affiliate with whatever floats your boat. I'm not saying I think they should, I'm just wondering if that's a thing or not.

Hal's idea sounds great. if this type of guild would be but up, im sure there would be no problem getting huge amount of people joining. most difficult part is to get person who everyone respects as a king. if that type of person is missing, people will leave the guild.
still im found of this idea and it would be great thing for the server.

-Bartyboy

Taran Wrote:Good initiative Hal.

I'd also like to input that everyone that has RP rewards such as special items or skin are required to RP at all times when speaking in public. This does not include partychat, guildchat, alliancechat or public chat. But when speaking in the game they must always RP. If you see someone with a skin color or RP items and they are not roleplaying please send an "Another player is harassing me" page which will include a speechlog for staff to view.

How can you tell the difference between a rp item and donation reward?

I admit that's a bit difficult... but everyone with skin colors are supposed to roleplay since you can't donate for that.

I like the idea very much. Following Taran speech I will also want to say that If I get any page or I see any roleplayer being harassed because of his roleplaying, that won't be tolorated.

It's a good idea but it will take time, like Bart said you have to earn the respect of people in order to pull it off and that can be a lengthy process. I think if you stick with it and set a good example it will be good for the server.

Carding/Garrik/Whatever

You have my blessing.

It would be nice to see more roleplay but for that to happen there has to be naming and speech rules. Sadly i doubt we will see that so i wont be trying to do roleplay.

Venos Wrote:It would be nice to see more roleplay but for that to happen there has to be naming and speech rules. Sadly i doubt we will see that so i wont be trying to do roleplay.

What do you have against BoBdaSmoker?