Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Change to Housing and Statics Policy

First off, I'm ecstatic to see the larger number of players we have now! I never expected this much growth when we started tinkering around with the shard for fun a year ago.

However, with this huge increase, we're seeing a lot more requests for custom statics or custom decoration in existing statics. Up until now, this has been fine as the requests were few enough that we could handle them, but there's no way to keep building custom statics at the rate they're being requested.

What we will be doing instead is offering a selection of pre-made custom statics instead. We have a lot of them to choose from and I'll be posting images of them on the Housing page as soon as I've got all the screenshots made and edited.

There is still the option of building your own static, then having us place it. In fact, we're hoping to add this as an optional profession for very talented builders. People who know their way around UOAR can offer their services as an architect either for free or for in-game compensation. You could either build custom statics to order, or build a bunch of statics and offer the use of the design for a fee.
(For example, you might charge 100K for a custom design, but only 10K to use a public design that anyone can choose from. Change the prices to match your business model.)

A second change is that we no longer add decoration or items outside what is listed under Addons on the housing information page: http://in-uo.net/info/housing-information

The reason is that this just takes up a ton of time to add, color, position, etc. Then, when a player decides that they want to move to a new static or house, GM intervention is required to move sometimes hundreds of items, which just sucks up hours of time that could be spent scripting or adding quests. If you build your own static though, you can add as much decorations as you want.

We won't be retroactively removing decorations, but we won't be moving them or modifying them, we can just remove things you no longer need.

Also, if you simply can't live without a specific item like a display counter or a bloody pentagram, let us know and we can either add it to crafting or as a nickel reward, depending on the item.

Hopefully everyone understands the need for this change. With less time being spent on menial stuff like house design, we can spend time developing features, quests, events, and improving.

Thanks everyone!

Just a note: Those that got promised a custom house or decorations up until now will of course get that.

Another note: This includes changing the colors of existing statics, or custom ones after they're frozen. This usually takes an hour or more of unfreezing, patching, changing hues in a way that don't screw up the house contents, making sure the colors are all correct and there aren't any missed spots , refreezing, patching again, then realizing there was a spot missed now that you can use circle of transparency, and so on.

We may start offering a paint jjob service for gold later, but its low priority.

That's my character's job!

I can guarantee a professional approach, starting with an interview with the client, his interests, passions and all the other emotional aspects that combine to create a perfectly designed production around him, to meet their needs.
This is also my job in real life!

Contact me here or in-game using the chat!
Ed the Architect

so guild containers and bank boxes are no longer being added?

kyleus3 Wrote:so guild containers and bank boxes are no longer being added?
Yes, we still add bank boxes. You can place your own guild container with a deed.

The decoration I was talking about was changing statics colors or adding things like tables, lamps, braziers, rugs, etc. It takes hours of GM time to decorate a private house that noone else but the owner will really see.

Eru Wrote:Yes, we still add bank boxes. You can place your own guild container with a deed.

The decoration I was talking about was changing statics colors or adding things like tables, lamps, braziers, rugs, etc. It takes hours of GM time to decorate a private house that noone else but the owner will really see.

Nice to hear!!!