Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Provocation

I am about to GM provocation and in my quest to become more effective with the skill I have a few questions. Also any tips or insight on using the skill would be grateful.

1. What is roughly the range on how far a mob can be from me before I am out of range to provoke? Is there a greater success to using the skill when I am closer to the mobs?

2. When I get the message that I am to preoccupied to use the skill; I realize that it is when I am in combat, but if hit tab and stop targeting the mob I can cast it....is that correct? I am trying to get use to the mechanics on how to really use this skill.

3. How long do the mobs fight each other. I realize it is not until one of them dies, but how many seconds are they focused on each other and does the level difficulty of the mob make a difference on how long they fight each other?

Any other insight, suggestions, tips or constructive criticism would be grateful. Thanks!

One recommendation is that you should always target the strongest monster first, doing it like that the % on sucess will depend on weaker monster. So more % to suceed =)

Hiroshima Wrote:One recommendation is that you should always target the strongest monster first, doing it like that the % on sucess will depend on weaker monster. So more % to suceed =)

Great advice, I had no idea about that...thanks!

Hey ambien, welcome hehe
Provocation is an awesome skill!!
well here goes your answers!

1. the range is almost your whole screen, if you can see the target you can provoke it... though some times if they are too far from each other the provocation may work but they wont attack each other.

2. when you get this message simply go out of combat and try to provoke as fast as possible since if the monster attacks you, even though you're not in combat mode it will count as if you were, so taping tab is a good way to avoid that!

3. the mobs will fight each other untill one of them dies! but if you move too far from them they will stop attacking each other.. so just stay close, by close i mean almost your whole screen is ok! And some mobs are harder to provoke... for example, provoking a dragon and a drake is easy... but provoking 2 dragons is almost impossible!!

i think thats everything you need to know about this skill...

Raziel_ Wrote:Hey ambien, welcome hehe

1. the range is almost your whole screen, if you can see the target you can provoke it... though some times if they are too far from each other the provocation may work but they wont attack each other.

2. when you get this message simply go out of combat and try to provoke as fast as possible since if the monster attacks you, even though you're not in combat mode it will count as if you were, so taping tab is a good way to avoid that!

3. the mobs will fight each other untill one of them dies! but if you move too far from them they will stop attacking each other.. so just stay close, by close i mean almost your whole screen is ok! And some mobs are harder to provoke... for example, provoking a dragon and a drake is easy... but provoking 2 dragons is almost impossible!!

Thank you very much! I was wondering why my provokes were breaking but it makes perfect sense now, because I think I went to far. Thanks again Smile

Raziel_ Wrote:Hey ambien, welcome hehe

Why is that? Does it have to do with the monster strengths being the same? I'm about to start macroing this skill so I was just wondering, don't mean to thread jack!

you can hide yourself after successful provocation too.

Catalyst Wrote:Why is that? Does it have to do with the monster strengths being the same? I'm about to start macroing this skill so I was just wondering, don't mean to thread jack!
some monster cant even be provoked... but those wuold be useless to provoke since they overwhelm the surround monsters easily...
the difference on provocation chance vary according to the monster... if its stronger, probably harder to provoke... also blade spirits are pretty hard to provoke, but evs are very easy...

One tip I can offer, is to set up a razor macro that automatically tabs before using skill...and assign that to a key for your provo. In hectic/tight spots when you're getting hit, you will constantly get the super annoying 'preoccupied with thoughts of battle' message. This cleared it up for me almost entirely.

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that the provo range was 12 tiles. But it seems to fluctuate. Sometimes I hardly move off screen and the provo stops......other times i'll leave mobs well behind and still find them fighting minutes later.

A question I had about this server, do exceptional instruments increase barding % chance?