Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SHoutbox

How about return the shoutbox to the forum if only to let GMs announce stuff like events that are starting?
Because that was a great way to find out whats going on or what went on in game. With the current chat you miss out on everything unless you are there when its being said...

Well I just added a recent chatlog to the chat system so when you join you will see what has been said recently. And a permanent chatlog is also being planned.

But I see your point, it would be really great for staff to have some sort of command that will display announcements both here and on the website. But for now we're going to have to use the chat system and also "Event and Happenings" forum.

It shouldn't be too hard to add a little include at the top of the page that loads the content of some HTML file. Maybe just have a command that generates a file with a small line, then that could be added via a php include, then I can just modify that div via CSS.

The problem with that is that since it would be loading at the top of the page, it slows down page load times drastically, and if the game server ever goes down or is IIS craps itself for some reason, then all the website pages would fail to load past that spot without having to wait for a timeout. Plus it adds a lot of PHP processes to the site.

Hmm, probably not worth it, actually.

It wouldn't slow down the page load time if you put it in an iframe, at least not noticably. And if the server would go down it would only display a white bar instead.

I could also get it to update the content after the page loads using JQuery. That's what I did for the mining status page here.