Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Suggestion on Signs for new players

I've notice that a lot new people don't even know about the merc camp grounds. Even I when i started had no idea about it till a few days later. Some just macro at the bank. Anyway, i think there should be a sign at the sign post with hops on it currently at the britian bank directing new players to the merc camp grounds. "If you are new to this place please report to the merc camp grounds. You can get there by speaking to the portal mage in the building to the south west". Not the best but something like that. Also there needs to be a sign for the Training weapons area in the merc camp grounds. I honestly had no idea about them till someone told me when i was just starting. I was still getting daggers and skinning knives Tongue. Maybe another sign at the bank to clue people in on a full spell book at the mage shop. It really shouldn't be a mystery on how to quickly get started here :confused:

[COLOR="green"]Actually my red devil friend.... when I started I had a book entitled "Player Guide" that listed a lot of good info... When ya dbl clicked it a gump opened up and gave ya choices and one of the choices was "Getting Started" and when ya selected it the second sentence speaks of going to Britain mage shop for a full spell book. Wink It also speaks of the Merc Camp! hehe

But I suppose a few more signs would help some folks in some of the area's you spoke of...

:twisted: [/COLOR]

yeah i know about the book, im sorry but the book i never even noticed as well till later on lol, something i over looked so im thinking other people may also make that mistake

[COLOR="green"]I agree that the book does look a bit "plain"... maybe the color of the book could be changed a bit more to catch folks eyes. Or maybe some folks misunderstood what Merc Camp meant. I know that when I first read it in the book I was thinking of like a bandit camp.

Big Grin[/COLOR]

Thats the different on men and women.
Men starts playing without reading anything while the women always reads the manual ;-)

On a serious note, there could be created a starting area where some text info from some NPC, tells you what you need to know.
Perhaps even combined with teleporting you some places for a few sec´s so you can see it for your self

yeah lol, if i see a book in my pack I'm like ugh books, but for some reason if i see a uniquely colored sign on a post or building I'm curious to what it says. I dunno if anyone else is like that but i click on a sign at least once to subside my curiosity lol

Uhh what dungeon was it back on in that had that room you couldent enter with a sign saying
Curiosity killed the cat.
Allways wanted to get into that room, don´t know why cause it was empty. But proberly because it was there.

i remember the sign but not the dungeon Tongue

Maybe Eru can make a spawner that checks the gametime of a player and if it's less than 1 day an NPC can direct them to the Merc Camp or something like that. Some signs wouldn't hurt either.

Taran Wrote:Maybe Eru can make a spawner that checks the gametime of a player and if it's less than 1 day an NPC can direct them to the Merc Camp or something like that. Some signs wouldn't hurt either.

Yeah something like that, it will definitely help the new players. I am seeing new ones come almost daily for the past few days it seems. hope we get more Big Grin

Personally I enjoy discovering things on my own. Any idiot can take directions but when you stumble upon something using nothing more than your wits and curiosity it makes the discovery all the more rewarding. Posting signs everywhere and making objects bright red so they are more noticeable takes that element away from the game. Having said that, if there is going to be a change, maybe it would be a good idea to just have newbs spawn in the merc camp itself and then just sick a sign saying "Brit ->" next to the sparkly gate thing.

Considering that newbie information should be more disclosed to new players to get started doesn't make it necessary for there to be no other guidance besides the player guide. Sure it's great discovering things on your own but newb information shouldn't have to be one of them and there is plenty more rewarding stuff after the Merc Camp to discover. Even IN1 had in game help directing new players to newbie dungeons,mt kendall, and the dangers of certain unguarded area's even tho only thing they were able to do were to place signs. What i mention before isn't gonna require a huge amount of signs/NPC's to help nudge new players along. Rather to help them have multiple ways of obtaining newbie information on their own beside a book that "could" be overlooked. One example is the Training Weapons at the Merc Camp. There no indication of it in the player guide and the area can be mistaken for just deco and be easily overlooked. Hell i even overlooked it till Atlas told me when i started lol. Anyway, a few tweeks isn't gonna harm anything and will only help to give newbie information that new players need