Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How many are still here from IN1/2??

WHATS THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN .

start it up ill play SmileBig GrinCoolWink

Wouldn't be too hard to set up a distributed method of hosting. I'm sure everyone's heard of DropBox. It basically keeps files in a folder on your HDD synced to the internet and can be synced automatically across multiple computers.

You can also share a folder so that multiple accounts have read/write access to the files in that folder. If the server files were to be kept in a shared DropBox folder, multiple available hosts could host at the same time.

What'd be next is to come up with an order of preference. The host with the best connection would be the dominant host, but if that computer stopped responding to pings, then the next computer in the hosting chain would load the server from the latest save and update the DDNS address to point to their own IP address. All this could be accomplished using DropBox and a relatively simple AutoIt script.

When the other computer came back online, it would ping the current host via the DDNS address, if it's responding to pings and it's not the machine's current IP, it could create a marker file in the dropbox that would tell the current host to do a save and shutdown and then relaunch on the main host.
(This 2nd part would be bothersome however, and probably could be skipped since it would cause the server to go down more often.)

Point being, if people wanted to host from home, it'd be quick and simple to share the hosting tasks to drastically cut downtime. Smile

Again, I'd be happy to help with this.

====Edit====
The main problem with this is security, since multiple people will have full access to server files. I'm not sure how to get around this problem except to trust the people who are given hosting privs.

How big are the saves? Don't have RunUO right now.

I just checked my RunUO folder and it's less than 80 MB and your dropbox starts off at 2.0 GB (expandable up to 10GB through referrals). Doubt that HDD space would be a problem.

Lerri Wrote:AoS, no insurance, its a niche market, its good gameplay and it doesnt need epic amounts of tweaking and rebuilding the whole damn thing from scratch.

for the love of god!

I can't emphasize enough just how true this is. Just look at the success of IN2 and how long it lasted. I completely fail to see why "IN3" isn't launched using the same ruleset, skillgains, and vanilla gameplay that IN2 had that made it so fantastic. Myself and at least two other people would play again full-time if such a server would launched, and I would GLADLY donate to support it.

In summary, we need IN2 back. It's as simple as that. I guarantee it would be successful. The success that IN2 is self-evident.

MadTaco Wrote:I can't emphasize enough just how true this is. Just look at the success of IN2 and how long it lasted. I completely fail to see why "IN3" isn't launched using the same ruleset, skillgains, and vanilla gameplay that IN2 had that made it so fantastic. Myself and at least two other people would play again full-time if such a server would launched, and I would GLADLY donate to support it.

In summary, we need IN2 back. It's as simple as that. I guarantee it would be successful. The success that IN2 is self-evident.

If IN2 ever came back, I would have no problem donating every month. IN2 was, honest to god, the best time I have ever had playing an online game. Period.

Cool name:p

told you erzse -_-

Wow, amazing to still see at least some of the IN community alive and kicking. I have to admit.. I would play a no insurance AoS server.. If i could even remember how to play.

Not sure who'll remember me but I played as Tagg for a nice long time on IN1. No other MMO will come close.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog!"

block all old bugs make easy skillgain and open IN1 back with same items same citys same pvp style everyone ll be equal and ll love it im sure...
peoples not looking for new shits on UO
all the we IN *****s loves oldschool...

Maniac Of bLacK

Druid a.k.a Alper Tunga

Quote:Easy skill gain.
Quote:Old school UO.
What?