Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Swiss Army Knife to Reduce Tool Clutter (I challenge you!)

I have a challenge for a someone who thinks they're a scripting bad-ass. A Mount Everest for you to climb: I was thinking about the tools and how there are so many of them that they start to get cluttered. It may be nice to have something like a swiss army knife that can function as multiple tools. Here's how I imagine it working:

Double clicking the tool will bring up a menu with buttons for the list of tradeskills.
*Blacksmithing
*Carpentry
*Bowcraft/Fletching
*Lumberjacking
*Mining
*Tailoring
*Alchemy
*Weaving (see below)
*Stone Crafting
*Glass Blowing
*Clay Crafting
*Clay Digging

Select the tradeskill that you want the item to function as, and it will turn into that item.

IF the item is something that you can double click to target something (mining pick, etc), then you must target itself to bring up the menu to change its function.

IF the item has no target on double click, then double clicking it will bring up the craft-select menu.

About Weaving: Since the weaving skill consumes the weaving, the knife has the same number of charges as a normal weaving tool. If you select weaving after you use all the charges, it will ask you to target a weaving tool to recharge the spool.

=============================================================

The question is: What happens to GM Rewards? Well, one option is to have this be a separate item that is non-newbied. If that's the case, here's my suggested crafting materials:

Spring (13)
Hinge (13)
Log (5)
Iron Ingot (10)
Smithing Hammer
Saw
Fletching Tools
Hatchet
Mining Pick
Sewing Kit
Mortar and Pestle
Scribe's Pen
Cartographer's Pen
Weaving Tool
Stone-Crafting Tool
Glass-Blowing Tool
Clay-Crafting Tool
Clay-Digging Shovel

The second option, the one that I like, is to make this thing something bad-ass to work for that will absorb your existing tools into itself. Here's how it'd work:

Quest Reward from Master Tinkerer. (newbied)
Quest triggers if you have more than X amount in all craft skills, (lets say 75 in each).
He'll compliment you on your dedication to crafting, then offer to make you a the knife if you bring him materials:
Adamantium Ingot (10)
Frostwood Log (20)
Dragon's Blood (10)
Daemon's Heart (10)
Gold (50,000)
(Possibly items from killing certain monsters that he'll point you to.)

After you receive the item, it will function as mentioned before, but it has an extra button to add/remove your rewards from it.
You can add your custom GM rewards, then when you turn the tool into that item, it will have the same color and name as the reward.
You can use the same menu to remove your item from the tool and have it go back to looking normal. (e.g. from r/r pickaxe to a blank pickaxe)

Awesome ideas! Wish I could help script it :/

newbied? never!

The only way I'd want to see such a tool is if it increased crafting possibilities. It would require high skills to craft but not too much in cost, though I think it should be slightly more then suggested or at the very least a quest needs to be completed to unlock it. Or maybe two different ones, one for crafting and one for harvesting. I know that almost defeats the purpose but I think it'd be a bit more logical. The harvesting tool would be the swiss army knife and the crafting tool would be something like a toolbox.

Well, just trying to broaden the options with this. If none of the other leet scripters want to do this, I will once I get back into scripting mode.

This sounds ****ing great.

[Image: 2cn76h2.gif] [Image: avatar20124_12.gif] If you liked my posted, dont forget to thank me Wink!

Best Regards,
Hiroshima.

It'd be nice to have a low weight jack-of-all-trades tool so that I don't have to keep unloading all my ****ing newbied GM items every single time I want to go do something different :x. There are more and more of us that are 49x chars that this would help a lot.

Shade Wrote:newbied? never!

The only way I'd want to see such a tool is if it increased crafting possibilities. It would require high skills to craft but not too much in cost, though I think it should be slightly more then suggested or at the very least a quest needs to be completed to unlock it. Or maybe two different ones, one for crafting and one for harvesting. I know that almost defeats the purpose but I think it'd be a bit more logical. The harvesting tool would be the swiss army knife and the crafting tool would be something like a toolbox.

Well, just trying to broaden the options with this. If none of the other leet scripters want to do this, I will once I get back into scripting mode.

why not newbied r/r rewards are and so are keyrings

Because they would be craftable and therefore would have somewhat of a market value. By making them un-newbied there would be a little more demand for this type of item and it would be a plus for those who crafted and sold them and if they cost a bit, it would be beneficial to kill someone who had one on them.

Maybe make them newbied if you GM all the craft skills and link your reward items to them. *shrug*

imo it's not worth scripting if its not newbied

Well while I agree that this is a good idea and would be a nice add if it was newbied and all, I just think that this would diminish the effort of earning a newbied reward.
I'd be fine with it being newbied if it required a quest to be done or some goal needed to be achieved in order to earn it but if it was to be a craftable item I wouldn't want it newbied.

or you could just add it in without a quest? yknow, as more of a gesture than "GMed everything, got the Tshirt" Wink

you should require every skill in the game to make the knife and it should be noobied imo, then the price wouldn't go for cheap and the purpose wouldn't go bad