Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to GM Tinkering

Explanation of skill gain:
INX skill gain is repetition based and not difficulty based, which means you can make the easiest item over and over and gain skill whether you have 40 or 90 points in that skill. As you gain skill it gets progressively longer to gain each .1 skill. You will probably get lucky sometimes and gain .1 in only a few attempts and other times you might get stuck for a while. Don't worry too much about getting stuck, it will average out.

Suggestion on what to make:
All the basic items you make with Tinkering require iron or wood. But unlike Blacksmithy you have to use regular iron to train Tinkering, you can't use old copper or some other ore. We have a few different types of items we can make to GM Tinkering and it depends what resource you rather collect or buy to train Tinkering. Personally I wanted to GM both Lockpicking and Remove Trap so first I trained Remove Trap by putting a bolt trap (crossbow bolt) on a chest and using the skill to remove it. Once that was done I made a bunch of lockpicks to train lockpicking and sold the leftovers for 6gp each. You can find my macro to train lockpicking here once you think you have enough lockpicks. Since i took tinkering as one of my starting skill I got it at 95, if you didn't you might need to raise lockpicking some before you can make lockpicks or traps, I don't remember the skill requirements for each.

If you want to do these two skills, once you're done them you should probably keep making lockpicks since they require low skill and they sell for 6gp per ingot used. The highest gold to ingot ratio I found. I didn't try different wood items since I was happy with this.

Why would I GM Tinkering?
1. Tinkering alone won't let you make any cool items, but combined with some other skills you can. For example you can make potion kegs, some of INX's custom armors, and you can also make lockable chests once you get the skill high enough.

Sorry, there's no bonus GM reward item after GMing tinkering.

My results:
Since I took one of my starting skills as Tinkering (you get 95 points in the skill!) I don't have as complete or as accurate a table as with the other guides I made. I estimate it took about 4k lockpicks, 2k bolt traps, and maybe 500 of a variety of other items to go from 95 to 100 Tinkering.

Tinkering Mass Production Macro:

Here is the macro I used to GM Tinkering from the safety and comfort of my own home and by making the same item over and over

Quote:!Loop
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickAction|1075052427|7868
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01
Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|21|0|0
Assistant.Macros.WaitForGumpAction|2002155655|False|300
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Organizer Agent-5
Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1073808184|59|35|0|3702
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|5|0|40
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Restock Agent-2
Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1075874684|1731|982|7|3650
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:02

Notes:

1. When you open this macro in Razor, on the line that says "if weight <= 40" right click this, select edit and change this to whatever your weight is without any iron on you.
  2. Before starting the macro simply double click your tinkering kit and make one lockpick.
  3. Add the lockpick to organize agent 5 and set the hot bag to a chest on the floor or in your bank.
  4. Add iron to restock agent 2 and set the hot bag to your backpack. You want to set the amount to 100 or so.
  5. Right-click the "absolute target" line after the restock agent and select 're-target' and target your container with your ingots.
  6. I suggest you keep everything in the top level of the container and not in a bag in a bag ... in a bag in the container because sometimes it wouldn't restock for me and ended up getting stuck.
  7. If you are going to do this at a bank instead of a house add a line in before the organize and restock agents where you say bank in case your guy turns and closes your bank while the macro is running.
  8. For some reason this message keeps getting posted with a space in the word false on the fourth line of the macro. Make sure it's not there when you copy over the macro to a New Text Document.

Remove Trap and Tinkering Macro:

Since you can only apply 1 trap per chest at a time, your best way to do this is to make a trap, remove it, and repeat. This macro will do that for you and retrap a chest as you remove the trap.

Assistant.Macros.IfAction|0|0|99
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3617|True
Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|30
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1059|
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:02.5000000
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3616|True
Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1081815935|1725|997|7|2881
Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction
Assistant.Macros.ElseAction
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|0|1|100
Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|48
Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1075874946|1738|979|7|3651
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:06
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|that doesn't appear to be trapped.
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickAction|1075052427|7868
Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1075874946|1738|979|7|3651

Notes:
  1. The first part of the macro is to heal just incase you set off the trap when trying to remove it, but I don't think it happened even one time for me!
  2. The first absolute target you want to change to target a water trough or glass pitcher, etc.
  3. The second absolute target (after useskill Remove Trap) you want to right click, select re-target and target your chest
  4. The last absolute target you want to right click, select re-target and the container you will trap.
  5. For some reason this message keeps getting posted with a space in the word false on some lines of the macro. Make sure it's not there when you copy over the macro to a New Text Document.

Let me know if you have any trouble with the macros or suggestions.

To copy these macros, go to the Macros folder in the Razor folder (a common place for Razor is C:\Program Files\Razor), make a New Text Document and copy the macro above in the quotes into the new files and save and close the file. Restart Razor and your new macros should be there.

Nice, will try this out when i get home... will see how it goes getting me from 90 to GM Smile

eighty, got a macro for doing remove trap and lockpicking, instead of remove trap and tinkering?

- regards, Fable

Here's the macro fable! To answer the question you asked me on MSN of why I made a Remove Trap & Tinkering macro both in one is because making a trap and putting it on a chest uses Tinkering Wink so you will gain a bit of tinkering, but mainly that above macro is just Remove Trap. I didn't make a Lockpicking & Tinkering one since you can buy the lockpicks and you won't gain Tinkering skill just by locking the chest. Hope that made sense for you Smile.

Lockpicking & Remove Trap & Tinkering Macro

Here is a macro to train Lockpicking & Remove Trap at the same time. It will also train Tinkering for you since when you make a new trap to put on a container you are using Tinkering. There is some optimizing you can do to make the macro a bit faster but I just wanted to get a good working macro out for everyone.

Assistant.Macros.IfAction|0|0|99
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3617|True
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1059|
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:02.5000000
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3616|True
Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1092826754|73|73|0|8093
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|0|1|100
Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|48
Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1075875091|1735|976|7|3651
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:06
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|that doesn't appear to be trapped.
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|5372|True
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:04
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|5|0|40
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Restock Agent-4
Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1081796680|1736|976|7|3651
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|this does not appear to be locked.
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|7868|True
Assistant.Macros.WaitForGumpAction|949095101|False|300
Assistant.Macros.WaitForGumpAction|949095101|False|300
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|4110|True
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:02

What the macro does:

Basically, this macro will use the skill Remove Trap until the trap is removed from a chest, then it will use Lockpicking to pick the lock. Once you have removed the trap and picked the lock the macro will trap the chest and lock it for you. Some bonus features: it heals you in case you set off the trap and get hurt, and it restocks on crossbow bolts and lockpicks for you if you run low on either of them. For this to work make sure you follow the notes below.

Notes:

1. Make one bolt trap yourself before starting the macro and trap the chest you are training these skills on then start the macro.
  2. Make sure you have the key to unlock the chest in your backpack and not in the chest you are locking.
  3. Add lockpicks and crossbow bolts to restock agent 4, click the 'set the hotbag' button and target your backpack.
  4. The line that says If (Weight <= 40) you want to change to whatever you weigh without a bunch of lockpicks and crossbow bolts on you.
  5. For some reason this message keeps getting posted with some extra spaces so make sure they're not there when you copy over the macro to a New Text Document.
  6. The first part of the macro is to heal just incase you set off the trap when trying to remove it, but I don't think it happened even one time for me!
  7. The absolute target after double click dirty bandaids you want to right-click, select re-target, and target a water trough or glass pitcher, etc.
  8. The absolute target after useskill Remove Trap you want to right-click, select re-target and target the chest you are training these skills on.
  9. The absolute target after double click lockpicks you want to right-click, select re-target and target the chest you are training these skills on.
  10. The absolute target after Restock Agent-4 you want to right-click, select re-target and target a chest that has more crossbow bolts and lockpicks in it.
  11. The absolute target after Double Click tinker's tools you want to right-click, select re-target and target the chest you are training these skills on.
  12. The line that says Double Click copper key you want to right-click, select re-target and target the key to unlock the chest.
  13. The absolute target after double click copper key you want to right click, select re-target and the container you are training these skills on.

If you have any issues don't hesitate to ask me.

thanks alot mate! Big Grin im going to start off right away Smile

- regards, Fable

No problems dude lemme know if you have any issues with it!

no issues yet! only thing is that i keep failing to remove the trap so the bolt hasn't been removed and i've only gained skills for remove trap so far :p but i was thinking maybe i can remove the remove trap lines if i gm it later and just continue with the lockpicking Smile

- regards, Fable