Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rangers of the North

The morning breeze was fresh, the sun was getting up and it was a beautiful morning to finally take this journey. I was the first to arrive, to prepare the boat along with Crelak, my younger brother. He is an apprentice in learning, an excellent hunter in the wild. Not long after we had begun loading the boat with supplies, Myrial arrived along with Ghazul. Myrial was a higher ranked person in our society, and he was in charge of this trip to give a sealed note to a captain at a port far away. Myrial was a pleasure to be around, always knowing when to laugh and when to be serious. He was a formal person, not the fighting type, he enjoyed tradesman related professions like crafting, forging and alike. Ghazul was, like Crelak, an apprentice, but with a more specific area focus. Crelak was more of a survivalist, living alone in the wild, where Ghazul was less independent but more focused on making everything come together. Ghazul loves the entire scenario of epic battles, but also has a passion for crafting and learning material goods.
My name is Andrew, I’m a Ranger of the North, born and raised in a family of tradition and belief. I was put on this boat for pure protection purposes, as a guardian of Myrial, along with the 2 apprentices. I have my father’s blessing watching over me, guiding me. The three of us does not know what the sealed letter contains of information. Our only job is to make sure nothing happens to Myrial, carrier of the sealed letter. We are loyal to heart, and intend to fulfill our job to perfection. Our entire society of Rangers is loyal to heart. We believe in the good every person has inside, no matter their current standing and occupation. We are humble people living in harmony with ourselves, treasuring each and every day. We consider ourselves blessed to have what we have, instead of cursing at what we lack. Every day is a blessing!
As we had all, except Myrial, finished loading the boat, we set off into the blue. It was still early morning, there was a beautiful yet disturbing fog above the water. It was very quiet, barely a wind moved. I felt a strange feeling inside, as if something was not right. Yet trusting in my father’s blessing, I said nothing and pretended all was fine. We had barely gotten out on open water before Ghazul started getting bored. He was eager to see where we were going, but only Myrial and I could know. The apprentices were not given the information, fearing it would shadow the experience they were to get from this voyage. It was only for their own good!
Crelak was up front in the boat with me talking about what I’ve seen in the world. He was eager to go on adventures, see the world. He was smiling all the time, very curious about this adventure. Not knowing much about the dangers that lie ahead, the smile never faded and he kept poking me asking why I looked so concerned. As I finally gave in and told him I had a feeling something was wrong, he suddenly looked worried. Ghazul and Myrial stopped their conversation instantaneously, staring straight at me silenced.
“What?” I asked and looked around at them. They just kept starring at me silenced. Ghazul was about to say something but kept holding back. An awkward silent moment came, till I broke the silence; “Look, I have my father’s blessing and guidance, everything’s going to be fine”. Crelak and Ghazul started looking around nervously.
After we had sailed for a few hours, they had calmed down but were still very quiet. I tried talking to them, explaining to them that it’s a large and dangerous world we live in. There are very few places you can feel safe. We came from an already very quiet and safe society. I’ve heard stories of vile places in the world, stories of murder and violence. This is something we are not used to in our society, something that is new to these two apprentices.
As the day went on, more stories were told and the mood was getting better. After we got some food, everything changed. The mood of the apprentices rose to the sky, as if they had new energy. I myself was calming down too, I had trust in my father’s blessing and forgetting the bad feelings I had in the morning as we sailed off. Myrial was studying a book about some ancient crafts of our forefathers, and was deeply buried in it.
We were now all in the open. No land in sight, just the ocean. The sea was getting rougher fast and the waves were growing dramatically. As it was getting more out of control, and risky for the boat, I consulted Myrial about us having to move closer to land and find an alternative route to our location. As we were in a smaller boat, we changed direction towards the south in hopes of finding better water. Within some hours, we could see land again. But it was not familiar land. These were new lands. As the land came closer, I stood up to look for some signs. The water was now softer and it was safe to sail once again.
When we were merely a few hounded yards from the land, I got that feeling of something being wrong again. “Something’s wrong..” I said. The others looked at me worried again. I looked back at them and told them to stay on their guard.
Crelak started to look intensely at the land, as if he was sensing something.
“This land has seen many wars. There is something evil here. Something ancient” he said. His eyes suddenly grew, as he looked into the water.
“SEA SERPENT” he screamed, as he grabbed his bow. None of us got a chance to see into the water before the boat got struck by something from below. We all fell to the deck.
“Ready your bows apprentices” I said.
We got on our feet again, drew bows and spread out at the sides. Nothing happened.. There was a moment of silence, but then there was another terrible strike on the boat. We all fell down, but got up quickly again.
“WE CAN’T SEE IT” Ghazul yelled. We were all standing looking into the water on both sides.
Just as we thought it would strike again, it got silent again. The apprentices stood very confused looking into the water, as if they were waiting for another attack. The silence continued..
“Make for land” I said. The others looked at me as if I was crazy. I looked back at them and yelled “NOW! We cannot fight this thing out here, it has all the advantages”
Crelak and Ghazul looked at each other and changed the sails.
I went to Myrial, who in silent asked me “Why isn’t it attacking anymore?” “Its gathering itself for a final strike” I said back. Myrial’s eyes grew big, as he realized this might end up very wrong. The apprentices were keeping watch for the Serpent at the sides.
Just as it looked like we were getting to even lower water, the Serpent struck again, this time with such force, the deck of the boat cracked and water started to flow in.
“Get what’s necessary and get ready to swim” I said. We quickly gathered what was most important, some light weapons and provisions, and made ready. The water was coming in quick by now, and the boat was slowly going down. As it was about to give after, we jumped in and started to swim towards land. Just after we jumped in, the boat was pulled into the deep by the Serpent.
We made it ashore safe, and were lying at the shore catching our breath. We were all alive, but where were we?
We all got up and gazed around. “Ghazul and Myrial, stay here. Get a campfire started. Crelak, you’re coming with me, we need to know something about our surroundings!”
Ghazul and Myrial started gathering some wood for the campfire, while Crelak and I went off. We Rangers have always been excellent at staying hidden in the shadows and tracking other creatures. We moved around the area, and did not see anything special except an abandoned watch tower. It had clearly been the victim of some serious warfare, because the walls were cracked and torn. We moved onwards to the entrance of the tower, seeing bones lay on the ground with broken weapons and cannon balls. The door was broken, it looked like someone had opened it with force. We quietly moved inside and looked around. There was nothing left but some broken furniture and various metal parts that did not age like wooden materials. We went back to get Myrial and Ghazul, and brought them to the tower.

We now have taken refuge in this tower, waiting with hopes of our brethren finding us here. We carve our ancient runes in trees around the area, marking our existence. We know little about these lands yet, all we know is that we will take a careful approach in exploring the lands…

Requested RP items:
Old copper dyed clothing (not including leather)(bodysash, cloak, kilt/half apron & hat(cap for craftsmen - feathered hat for rangers))
Leather dyed hueid#2530? (would like to see, seeking a shadowy color) (different from class)(studded for rangers, normal leather for crafters/leaders)
Since the items are purely for RP purpose, we would like for the armor to be without any AR Bonus, so it is not beneficial.

IN1: Andrew / Andrew the Almighty (forums)
IN-X: Andrew, High Ranger [Rangers of the North]
[Image: siggie.jpg]

Despite his deepest desires to help these men who just went through a violent ship wreck, Atreides managed to convince himself that he must first find out something about them so he wouldn't be killed running a fool's errand. And so, with deep remorse at not being able to help them, Atreides watched them from the dark shadows provided by the thick jungle surrounding the area where they came ashore.

Atreides continued to watch these men for some time to try and learn their habits before approaching them to ask if he could be of assistance and what business they have here. More importantly he had to find out what distant land they came from dressing so strangely. Where they came from was the most important question because Atreides had to know if they could have been the ones that sent the monsters to destroy his homeland.

*Several hours later*

After having observed these men for several hours, Atreides picked up the names of the different men and was able to determine the ranks they each seemed to hold in their society; Myrial was a member of the ruling class, Ghazul and Crelak were apprentices of multiple disciplines, and from the way the others acted towards him, Atreides judged Andrew to be a teacher and a rather famed warrior.

Atreides continued to watch these men as he contemplated each of their roles in their society and tried making a comparison to those of neighboring provinces and even his own. After some time he couldn't think of any neighboring provinces with a similar culture so he began thinking of his own...

What he found strangest about these men was that one of their ruling class was traveling without a compliment of highly trained soldiers. This was unheard of in his society where even the lowliest aristocrat was commonly seen with an armed guard. Perhaps these men came from a much more peaceful society, surely a good sign.

More so then a teacher Andrew appeared as a warrior, much like Atreides so he thought this would be the best person to approach and Atreides decided to focus his attention on this man.

This left the puzzle of Ghazul and Crelak... Never in all his years had he heard of people being apprentices of multiple disciplines all at once. In his homeland it was tradition for each child to follow in the footsteps of their parents and thus each parent knew what their child would be. An aristocrat's son would himself be an aristocrat, a tailors daughter would become a tailor, a blacksmith would raise his son to take over his shop, and so forth. Everyone was content with their lives as they knew they were doing their share for their country. As a young boy, Atreides himself first spent several years in the stables getting to know different animals, then he worked in the fields for a short time to learn how to get the maximum yield from his crops year after year, and what wild vegetation was good to eat in case he were to ever be stranded. Finally Atreides spent many long hard years training to join the army so loyal to the king of his land that in all the years of his country's existence, no soldier had ever been bribed.

After coming close to drifting off and day dreaming of his homeland, Atreides heard one of the men, Andrew, say “Ghazul and Myrial, stay here. Get a campfire started. Crelak, you’re coming with me, we need to know something about our surroundings!”. Atreides took this as a sign to leave these men before they found him and thought he was spying on them. Hopefully, they wouldn't notice the bushes he disturbed by sitting in one spot for so long a time...