Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Banking Without A Bank?!

Hello,

I just have something that I have heard is causing somewhat of an issue on this shard and I saw it with my own eyes today so Im going to just let the staff know that this is something that needs immediate resolution.

As you know, vendors are a place to sell things to other players on the shard and a money-making scheme to increase profits and monopo.ize certain items.
Lately... the vendor mall is used as two things... the regular "selling" proccess and as a BANK.
As you know.. the upkeep of a vendor is very cheap and easy to pay for anyone and... ANY ITEM at ANY PRICE can be added to the vendor. As you can probably see where this post is going... there are players whom now use this as a personal banking spot.
Example: Player X is in a Chaos guild and just stocked up with tournament gear and decided to go duel for a while for money and meanwhile there are enemies near-by awaiting the player to take the chance of returning to a blue town. BUT instead of having ANY worry whatsoever or any challenge... Player X decides to walk up his vendor and place ALL of his rare gear in his vendor for a price of 9999999999 so that he has easy access and may pick up his gear WHENEVER he wants to use it. If this is going to remain like that.. we should abolish BAnkers and just make vendors... we cant lose any items that way and it literally down-sizes guild wars and gank.
I see this as a VERY seriouse problem to the economy and should be looked at very seriously because this is a factor that may change the way players see the shard and the way the shard is run.. Please look into this and keep us updated.

Regards,

Scarecrow [Prototype].

Bow Down To The ScareKing! jeje

[Image: scarecrowinxkd2.gif]

I have seen some items at ridiculous prices like a sup vanq bard at 99999999 but I just took it as the person saying 'look at me, I have a sup vanq bard I don't even use and just want to show it off'. I never really thought of it this way and it does present a problem.

As Shade explained to me when I was complaining about the guards, the messages when entering a town from pits are 'you lose your feeling of complete safety' and 'you are now under the protection of the town guards'. UO isn't meant to be played in complete safety as Shade explained so this vendor system some people are exploiting shouldn't be possible.

I think the only solution is to make a vendor mall not directly connected to the pits because I just don't think it's plausible to limit what kind of items are placed in a vendor or what prices can be set. How do you tell someone they can't sell a really rare set of armor for 1 million gp?

me and monk told jackal about this yesterday when we saw it happen

lol theres nothing really that can be done about this because the vendor mall is a free area, unless its made a portal like a pits rune that counts down in towns (ocllo and brit) which we use to have like that but it was moved to pits to make it easier to load up the vendor. but if people are abusing it then it's going to have to be in towns again..

Eighty Swords Wrote:I have seen some items at ridiculous prices like a sup vanq bard at 99999999 but I just took it as the person saying 'look at me, I have a sup vanq bard I don't even use and just want to show it off'. I never really thought of it this way and it does present a problem.

Yeah, that's mine. I don't use it and it's there for the reason you thought it's there for. I didn't even think to use it as a bank. 0_o

This could cause problems, but how could it be fixed without having it monitored by GMs (time consuming) or getting rid of the vendor area?

What about letting the vendor get 5% of the price you want to sell the item for. That will cost you 50k when you want to sell something for a million. but only 1000 gold when you want to sell something for 20000.

I think that would people only use a vendor if they really want to sell the stuff.

As someone who sells a lot, I don't like that. Also, you end up paying the price multiple times if you mistype the amount or if you decide to change the price on things.

Maybe if it's above a certain amount then you'd have to pay that price for it. Like 100K or so. Also, if the item is purchased normally it should refund the price.

Either move the vendor mall to an unguarded town

OR

set a "max price" that u're able to sell your items for (then ppl won't be risking adding their "important items" to the vendor, cause they may get sold.. however if the max price is too low then ppl won't be able to sell their "best stuff" unless they want to underprice it, and if we make the max price too high then ppl will still find it "worth it" to put the items out for that price.),

OR

we could just do Yankovics version and add a lil cost depending on how much u add the item to the vendor for, which will cause ppl selling items for 99999999 cash to .. well.. loose a lot of cash fast Wink .. people who use the vendor in a more serious way may not appreciate this suggestion as much tho. I like the idea Sindern had about refuding the buyer if the item is sold in a normal way tho, and I like the idea about not adding that cost for items below 100k or whatever, so perhaps this is the best idea after all?

Anyways, keep thinking guys, if u can find a good solution that most people agrees on then woho! :]

Regards,
Hate

I'm actually glad to hear this :p

The first thing I want to say is that no matter what fee or cost that is tacked onto the vendor, it will only hurt the honest people. The only true way to fix this is by removing the vendor mall all together. Now before I need to hand out tissues, lets keep in mind that including the mentioned reason in this topic, the current vendor mall is actually bad for a server that has pvp.

Well, I would say that we can have vendors work like the good old days, slap them in a empty house or on your steps. This spreads out the vendors quite a bit and causes a need to advertise them. That isn't necessarily a bad thing as it causes people to camp gates and vendors or even follow people through gates, really its just a plus for any sort of pvp, even if its lame ganking.

Another option, which has my vote, is that we take a select part of a town (or town we aren't using) and make it unguarded. For instance, we could unguard the eastern half of Britain and allow maybe a third of the building there to have vendors. This would spread them out a bit but not too much as to where players wouldn't bother checking them. Meanwhile the eastern half of brit is practically its own little town, it has a bank and shops so it could easily inspire regular activity/pvp.

I am totally against any suggestions that will penalize those honest traders who actually stimulate this economy just because one or two kids wanted to abuse the newbiness of a safe vendor. Safe zones are for newbs anyway.

if an item of 20000 gold would cost you 1000 gold. You make it 21500 gold? Honest sellers wont notice as it will still be bought (people need stuff anyway) so they will get the investment back.

Except for the fact that they are hiking up the price and making people second guess buying off them. I notice on vendors people compete alot with each other, dropping prices often and I think doing this would really hurt the economy. It would be much better all around for the shard to have the vendors unguarded.

I've always prefered old style, without a mall. When people used to have the vendor on their house and had to travel around the world in search of them or recall of a rune to their location.

If it ever goes into discussion , I vote for completely remove the mall for ever and stick with vendors for houses or specific locations