Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to GM Alchemy

Explanation of skill gain:
INX skill gain is repetition based and not difficulty based, which means you can make the easiest item over and over and gain skill whether you have 40 or 90 points in that skill. As you gain skill it gets progressively longer to gain each .1 skill. You will probably get lucky sometimes and gain .1 in only a few attempts and other times you might get stuck for a while. Don't worry too much about getting stuck, it will average out.

Suggestion on what to make:
If you don't want to GM poisoning you can make any of the following potions and sell them back to vendors for the least gold loss; refresh, agility, nightsight, lesser heal, lesser poison, or lesser cure. I say to make these potions since it costs 9gp to buy the reagent and bottle and they all sell back to NPCs for 7gp. I'll let you do the hard work and find the vendor that buys the potions back :icon_twisted:

If you want to GM Poisoning make a lesser poison potion, use the Poisoning skill to apply it on a weapon, and repeat. This way when you apply the poison potion you get the bottle back so you can use just 1 bottle for a long time. If you want to do it so you use the poison potion as you make it, you'll have to make the macro yourself since I could never really get it working how I wanted. What I did was make a lot of poison potions in one shot and then did Poisoning when I had about 1-2k potions ready. Since you will GM Poisoning before you GM Alchemy you can keep re-using these bottles you get back from applying the potion until you GM Poisoning or you can use them to make potions and sell them to NPCs or other players.

Once you GM Poisoning I suggest you stop applying the lesser poison potions to a weapon because doing this is a 4gp loss (for the reagent) for every potion you use with Poisoning and you can sell them to vendors for only a 2gp loss per potion.

Why would I GM Alchemy?
1. If you can leave your computer on overnight or when you're not home, GMing Alchemy saves you money in-game (enjoy your electricity bill!) because you buy the reagents and bottles and make potions for yourself instead of buying them from someone. For example: 100 mana potions sell for about 8-10k right now but would cost you 6500 to make them. In the long run that really really adds up!
2. You can sell potions too and make some money if players find your vendor first or if you're a bit cheaper then other vendors people will probably buy yours instead.

Bonus: You get a noobied mortar and pestle you can rename and recolor to whatever you want.

My results:
Here's a table of how many potions I made GMing Alchemy. The stages are a little uneven because sometimes I was able to keep my computer on overnight or for 2 days straight, etc. Remember that you can buy up to about 40 skill from a vendor.

Starting Skill Level.....Ending Skill Level.....Potions Made

Total gold spent: 456287gp
Totale gold lost: 117128gp
Total potions made and reagents used: 58758

What does this information do for you? Unfortunately it doesn't tell you that for exactly 117128gp or with exactly 58758 reagents you can GM Alchemy, but it should serve as a reference on what this will cost you or how big of a stockpile of reagents you need if you want to GM Alchemy in 1 very long run.

While GMing Alchemy I also GMed Poisoning which took about 14k potions. If I didn't GM Poisoning and instead sold these 14k potions I would had saved about 30k training alchemy. I also made some potions to take care of plants and didn't count these.

The Macro:

Here's the Razor macro I used to GM Alchemy from the safety and comfort of my own home. This macro will make potions for you until it runs low on supplies and then it moves all finished potions to a container and grabs more supplies from a container.

Quote:!Loop
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3739|True
Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|21|0|0
Assistant.Macros.WaitForGumpAction|2002155655|False|300
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|50|0|5|Ginseng
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Organizer Agent-6
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Restock Agent-2
Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1075875020|1728|988|7|3650
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:03
Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction

Notes:
  1. When you open this macro in Razor, on the line that says "if ginseng <= 5" right click this, select edit and then from the first drop down list choose whatever reagent is needed for the potions you will be making.
  2. Before starting the macro simply double click your mortar and pestle and make one potion that you want to mass produce.
  3. Add this potion to organize agent 6 and set the hot bag to a chest on the floor or in your bank.
  4. Add the reagent for whatever potion you want to make to restock agent 2 and set the hot bag to your backpack.
  5. Right-click the "absolute target" line after the restock agent and select re-target' and target your container with your reagents.
  6. I suggest you keep everything in the top level of the container and not in a bag in a bag ... in a bag in the container because sometimes it wouldn't restock for me and ended up getting stuck.
  7. If you are going to do this at a bank instead of a house add a line in before the organize and restock agents where you say bank in case your guy turns and closes your bank while the macro is running.
  8. For some reason this message keeps getting posted with a space in the word false on the fourth line of the macro. Make sure it's not there when you copy over the macro to a New Text Document.

Let me know if you have any trouble with the macro or suggestions.

To copy this macro, go to the Macros folder in the Razor folder (a common place for Razor is C:\Program Files\Razor), make a New Text Document and change the extension to ".macro" instead of ".txt". Copy the macro above in the quote into the new file and save and close the file. Restart Razor and your new macro should be there.

Eighty Swords Wrote:Starting Skill Level.....Ending Skill Level.....Potions Made

Total gold lost: 117128
Total potions made and reagents used: 44923

I like that graphic alot, its very helpfull, you should make a thread with all graphics you made to all craft skills you gmed (Unfortunately you probably dont made one for all Sad ) .
I already gmed all my crafts but its good for newcomers.

Oh well just cartography missing what take around 50k scroll (seeing the amount Theo used).
I have the scroll but im lazy to do the macro and spend 50k scrolls on cartography is lame, BAH!

This is the second thread I make like this for crafts. I did one for tailoring already and when I finish more crafts I'll post threads on them too Smile

i think i'll list a mining one but i started already and im at 60, but i'll post the total ammount of iron i recieve from mining because i haven't touched it yet

http://www.in-x.org/forums/showthread.ph...light=dead

we can't sell poison pots to vendors anymore :S

I suggest making a macro that makes poison potions and nightsight potions. Craft and drink a nightsight whenever your potion timer is up and GM poisoning from making poison pots. Most people when they are 90+ just make manas until GM.

why all using gensing or ss for alchemy, i trainig it on poison potiion(gtrain poison and alch, and other think need only 2-3 empty potion) . when i have 92-94 i make mana pots.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yes i also do that gatin, and his graph doesn't make sense either

it says hes made a total of 58758 potions if you add them all up but he only used like 44923 regs and its 1 reg per potion so that doesn't make sense

also he said he spent only 117k when if you do 44923 regs alone x 4 the npc price for regs it's 179k and that's not including the empty bottles (bottles are 3 gp if i'm correct and 3x 45k is another 135k lol)

this graph is wrong it doesn't make sense i don't suggest to follow it :p

Quote:What does this information do for you? Unfortunately it doesn't tell you that for exactly 117128gp or with exactly 44923 reagents you can GM Alchemy, but it should serve as a reference on what this will cost you or how big of a stockpile of reagents you need if you want to GM Alchemy in 1 very long run.

yes it does, the skill gain is based on repition each character has to create a certain amount of x potions until you GM your skill so everyone pays and uses the same amount of resources when gming skills lol..

Luda, there is a vendor you can sell them to. I didn't post the vendor's name because I don't know if the staff want us to be able to sell potions to NPC's, and since it doesn't seem like a bug to me I don't feel I'm exploiting anything by not telling them. Message me on MSN and I'll tell you who it is.

smoke Wrote:it says hes made a total of 58758 potions if you add them all up but he only used like 44923 regs and its 1 reg per potion so that doesn't make sense

Ah I see what happened, when I put all the information in an Excel spreadsheet and used the autosum feature it missed a cell. I corrected the amount in my above post, it really was approximately 58758 pots (I say approximately for reasons explained in my first post). Thanks for pointing out the mistake smoke.

smoke Wrote:also he said he spent only 117k when if you do 44923 regs alone x 4 the npc price for regs it's 179k and that's not including the empty bottles (bottles are 3 gp if i'm correct and 3x 45k is another 135k lol)

If you look at what I wrote just below the table it says gold LOST, not SPENT. I lost 117k because I was able to sell a lot of potions back to NPC's. The actual cost was more. I suppose I should have written how much I spent total rather then how much I lost.

The vast majority of potions I made were lesser heal and lesser poison which only take 1 reg each and and I was able to reuse a lot of bottles by making poison potions and then training poisoning. So just because I made approximately 58758 potions doesn't mean I used 58758 bottles. If you want more precise numbers...

Potions made..............regs used..............craft cost..................profit from selling to npc.....net loss
14507 lesser poison........14507.............58028(regs only)..........................0.......................58028
44251 lesser heal...........44251........398259(regs and bottles)...............309751....................88508

So the actual cost of training Alchemy the way I did was 456287gp. Your cost may vary depending on the potions you make, if you don't train poisoning, or if you start with a different skill level then me.

smoke Wrote:yes it does, the skill gain is based on repition each character has to create a certain amount of x potions until you GM your skill so everyone pays and uses the same amount of resources when gming skills lol..

If you had bothered to read my post instead of just trying to point out flaws to make me look bad instead of saying 'hey eighty I think you made a mistake here', you would have seen this:

Eighty Swords Wrote:While GMing Alchemy I also GMed Poisoning which took about 14k potions. If I didn't GM Poisoning and instead sold these 14k potions I would had saved about 30k training alchemy. I also made some potions to take care of plants and didn't count these.

Also, not everyone got Alchemy transfered at 40 like I did, maybe they got alchemy transfered at 60, or maybe someone will forget they can buy up to about 40 skill from an NPC and will have to make more potions then I did, or maybe someone will start making mana potions, greater heal potions, or even shrink potions at a certain point...

Eighty Swords Wrote:Luda, there is a vendor you can sell them to. I didn't post the vendor's name because I don't know if the staff want us to be able to sell potions to NPC's, and since it doesn't seem like a bug to me I don't feel I'm exploiting anything by not telling them. Message me on MSN and I'll tell you who it is.

Ah I see what happened, when I put all the information in an Excel spreadsheet and used the autosum feature it missed a cell. I corrected the amount in my above post, it really was approximately 58758 pots (I say approximately for reasons explained in my first post). Thanks for pointing out the mistake smoke.

If you look at what I wrote just below the table it says gold LOST, not SPENT. I lost 117k because I was able to sell a lot of potions back to NPC's. The actual cost was more. I suppose I should have written how much I spent total rather then how much I lost.

The vast majority of potions I made were lesser heal and lesser poison which only take 1 reg each and and I was able to reuse a lot of bottles by making poison potions and then training poisoning. So just because I made approximately 58758 potions doesn't mean I used 58758 bottles. If you want more precise numbers...

Potions made..............regs used..............craft cost..................profit from selling to npc.....net loss
14507 lesser poison........14507.............58028(regs only)..........................0.......................58028
44251 lesser heal...........44251........398259(regs and bottles)...............309751....................88508

So the actual cost of training Alchemy the way I did was 456287gp. Your cost may vary depending on the potions you make, if you don't train poisoning, or if you start with a different skill level then me.

If you had bothered to read my post instead of just trying to point out flaws to make me look bad instead of saying 'hey eighty I think you made a mistake here', you would have seen this:

Also, not everyone got Alchemy transfered at 40 like I did, maybe they got alchemy transfered at 60, or maybe someone will forget they can buy up to about 40 skill from an NPC and will have to make more potions then I did, or maybe someone will start making mana potions, greater heal potions, or even shrink potions at a certain point...

so hrm basically your refusing to report a bug Big Grin

No, I'm not refusing to report a bug, a bug would be if I were able to sell a potion to an NPC for more then what it costs you to make it. Wait, why does that so familiar? Oh yea, you did that for inscription then reported the bug once you GM'd inscription!!