Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Duel Pits

Hi guys I was wondering how many of you like the idea of duel pits?

I'm an INer but I played IN-X and i really liked the duel pits idea..

I think it really increases player interaction, stimulates trade, and ganking.. Players follow each other into blue towns for faction pvp or red towns and it allows for murderers to trade with blues...

I thought it was pretty neat. Maybe we could see if its worth having here? Just a suggestion don't take any offense.

i think xuo ppl or any pvp say "yes" all other no Sad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^^ Yeah maybe... but I think that having an invulnerable zone for ppl to communicate isnt just a pvp aspect... Like when I started I stayed in a brit for days and I'd only see a few ppl at a time... I think the pits will allow ppl to talk more, trade more,.. get a sense of other ppl on the server.. There are so many ppl online that I've never even seen before. It could be more fun with pits Big Grin especially since this is a private server with small player base it allows for ppl to be more close.

Well I can tell you right now, I am not sure this would work out well. I refuse to have safe areas except for a very few select event locations, meaning you could pop out of the duel box and get ganked. Also pvp without the risk of losing your gear makes me sad and I can barely call it pvp..

Would you still want this if it was in a normal zone where fighting could take place right outside the box? I have no problem adding duel stones, even though I am totally against it, if that is what players want but like I said there won't be a safe zone for it.

I vote no. The only way I would vote for any kind of duel stone is if it was self supplied and loot enabled. As far as not having any interaction between people or never seeing anyone, I dont think that it would help. On IN-X, most of the people that were in the pits were afk anyway. I would rarely see anyone that was actually at their keyboard in the pits. And right now, most people are macroing all the time anyway.

The argument for pits always goes along the lines of "increase player interaction." If that's what's missing, I say Shade enables the chat system, since it's essentially the same thing: A place where people can talk to each other that is separate from the rest of the world.

I've always loved the pits, but I'm from NOS, then XUO, then INX, so I've always had pits and considered it normal. After having no pits for a while, I have to say I prefer no pits. You don't see people as often, true, but when you do, you have to consider your actions more, which is more role-play oriented. With a safe zone, you are essentially in a chat room with an avatar and we already have the forums for that. You'll see keyboard warriors, trolls and just idle chat in the pits because it's safe, but even though you can have those same interactions in the world, you're never TRULY 100% safe. This is the essence of UO that sets it apart and I think that's the way it should be.

I could imagine creating some sort of pits-like area and disabling magic/magery in that area. It's much safer, but you won't see people AFKing to show off tourney sets. Maybe I can come up with a story for this.

-edit-
As for trading in the pits: that was disabled on INX because we don't support safe trading. You'll find that safe and Shade don't go together in the same sentence unless you're saying that safe and Shade don't go together in the same sentence.

No pits. Duel stones might be nice but getting ganked is a part of the game. I'm kind of on the fence about the stones because then when someone wants to pvp they will just hit the stone. This kind of defeats the purpose of rolling around with your guild to kill stray enemies. I am all for 1v1 fair pvp but at the same time I feel like the stones might take away from the real pvp of the game.

Asterello Wrote:No pits.
You do realize that you voted "yes" to pits on that poll above, right? :eek:

Asterello Wrote:Duel stones might be nice but getting ganked is a part of the game. I'm kind of on the fence about the stones because then when someone wants to pvp they will just hit the stone. This kind of defeats the purpose of rolling around with your guild to kill stray enemies. I am all for 1v1 fair pvp but at the same time I feel like the stones might take away from the real pvp of the game.

When it comes to duel stones I'm in the middle somewhere, pros and cons below:

Pros:

- Lets you 1vs1 without being disturbed or ganked.

- Lets people observe duels (if you would fight somebody you don't trust in the woods you wouldn't let his friends observe)

- Easier to find players to duel, first off because they'd probably duel you easier because of the stones, but also because you could recall around where the stones are at and hopefully find people whose already duelling and ask if you can duel too.

Cons:

- May remove some of the "world PvP", and the chance to gank players when they 1vs1 others (altho I think u'd still be able to do this because some players wouldn't use the stone even tho they could, because they want more than the 10 seconds (?) that you have to loot the corpse while the loosers friends are outside ready to jump in).

.. Can't think of another one right now but I'm sure there is something else that's bad about them..

[SIZE="4"]So this is what I think after a lot of consideration: add them if players want them. If the bad sides of them are too many or too big then remove them again, no harm done. If they work out fine keep them.[/SIZE]

- Ziggy

Hah yeah Ziggy that was a mistake I didn't mean to to vote yes Smile

I'm a little confused on some of the reservations. Ok I do see the argument of it taking away from world pvp and ganking. And for that reason how about no duel stones. Just an area that is invul with teleporters to three blue towns three red towns. Some reg stones, and NO BANK, NO TRADE allowed.

This wont take away from risk of pvp. People enter the pits with good armor they still have to leave with good armor there is no where it can go without the person having to enter a vulnerable zone.

This will increase ganks in other towns besides Brit. Brit bridge ganking is very boring I much prefer Occlo or outside of trinny (old IN days of watching over Trinny walls). No one is gonna randomly recall to Occlo and pvp unless there are pits that ppl can see ppl walk into Occlo.

People stand around in pits not always AFK (although I agree it is true there are AFKERs) I dont think its fair to say that there is no interaction at all. I found some of the most riveting ganks starting at pits. Someone enters occlo everyone else sees this and tells their buddies and ganks get coordinated very nicely. You can still search for people in dungeons etc to gank.

As for trading I understand that the zone will have no trading I agree with this also. But I think that the pits still stimulates trading by allowing players to communicate. There have been so many trades that have started in pits where I talk to someone and then we end up going to Occlo or Brit to trade something. Plus I think that right now its not much of an issue but in the future if there are murderers it would be easier for them to trade. I know on original IN I had to make another character that was blue lol because I always felt isolated from everyone else (except for my SH buddies).

No offense to perfect it is only a suggestion...

However, I think this is a terrible idea. Anyone who has been in a server with an invul zone know that is where everyone chills AFK. I think that is what's awesome about UO is the fact that you could get killed in a simple trade. I had to trade with a guy from WOP and it was the thrill of the possibility of a fight. I love that aspect of UO. Anything could change and things can turn in an instance. If you put a place like you mentioned in, it kills that aspect of the game.

Even if you made the place invul there would be to many people afk. I am just opposed to it all. You want to duel someone then you better hope you A. Win or B. he is nice enough to res you. If not you better kill him and get your stuff back. Keep UO the way it was meant to be played.

I'm very neutral when it comes to the pits. I liked it at IN-X but I also liked NOT having it at some shards I've played. But if your only argument to why we should not have a pits is that people will go AFK in it then here's a solution to that:

Set a timer so if somebody is idle for more than 5 minutes he gets teleported to ocllo. That way nobody will go idle in the pits, they still just go there to communicate and find players.

I think that the pits is a good thing at small shards because it encourages PvP and makes it easier for players to meet (to this date I've only met like 30% of the players at IN even tho I've tried to find people a lot).

I think that once the shard has grown into lets say 70+ players it won't be needed anymore because then it will be enough players at all banks to find players anyway, and at that time it'll be a thrill to go to a red town because you KNOW that most likely at least one of these 70 people will be there!

So that's pretty much what I think.

(Oh and I don't think it will ever be added here no matter how much you ask for it. I am 90% sure of that. I really don't see it happening, but I am still going to write what I think, after all there's no harm in that right? Smile)