Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New server hardware and donations

Eighty Swords Wrote:That's great because I'm going to rebuild my PC soon, probably when Windows 7 is out of beta and for sale, or when i7 mobos come down by at least 100-150$. 400$ for a mobo is just too much!

Ill still own you :icon_twisted:

Bow Down To The ScareKing! jeje

[Image: scarecrowinxkd2.gif]

ScareCrow Wrote:Ill still own you :icon_twisted:

Lets count the hours we both put into uo over the years then how much of that was for pvp Wink harharhar

We already asked xs4all if we could buy hardware for our server but they won't accept donations.

Which means if we buy a computer I will have to host it myself and since I have to upgrade my connection for that we are still talking about $60 a month for that

Plus there are the issues of downtime. When you have a hosting company, they usually bring the server back up in no time if it goes down, but if it's being privately hosted and it goes down while the owner's out (or on vacation) it could be hours or days before it comes up again. :<

On a plus side though, I'm pretty sure an average desktop machine that you'd build for like $6-800 would be able to run a server just fine. I don't know what type of internet you'd have to get though. Something like DSL with a good Upspeed and Downspeed would be nice, but I'm not sure how much bandwidth you need for a UO server. It was originally made to be run by people on a 56K modem.

Lets see, the DSL in my area is 3.0 Mbps... that's like .375 MBps... 384 KBps... I'm guessing about 10KBps per person... that's only like 38 people. Probably closer to 30. :/

I'm rambling.

That's unfortunate Taran, maybe we can get Yankovic to pull some strings? (What's up Yank?! Smile)

If it helps I have a 5Mbit connection for only 40$ a month and you can get upto 20Mbps cable connections in my area (Montreal, Quebec, Canada, not a part of the United States, GMT-5). Sorry I'm rambling now. It's 3am and I'm slowly getting tired...

I currently pay $40 a month for a 100/10 mbit fiber connection.
But it's the upload speed that's most important and to get 100/100 I would need to pay $100 a month. Can't dedicate everything to IN:X since I want to be able to use Internet on my own as well, hehe.

in sweden u get 100MB down and 10MB up for 40 dollars Smile

[Image: ginzodium.jpg]
holding hands <3

10mb up is more then enough to host a uo server. And as far as the machine goes, 4gb of ram and a 100gb 7200rpm drive, processor doesnt need to be uber or anything. You could buy a server perfectly capable of handling 200 users for 300£.

edit: oh and btw, my lecturer at uni just got a 40gb solid state drive for his laptop, it loaded 40 applications in a few seconds lol. Cant wait till they are cheap like mechanical drives are now.

Canada is really shit with internet connections. We have fiber in very few areas, and if you're lucky enough to be in that area it will cost you over 100$! Not to mention the ISPs cap your up/down at 30kbps at certain times to combat people torrenting.

Bah I was only kidding about hosting it in Montreal!

they're fixing fiber in my area atm, it's almost done. we will get 100 down/up for only 40$ Smile btw i might not be able to log in as often these days cause of training and the fact that im borrowing my sisters broadband while she doesn't need it, but as soon as my dad gets a call from the internet company he will order internet then maybe i'll be able to play a bit more often Smile

- regards, Fable

If you want to stay with xs4all with your own computer you wouldn't be connected to xs4all games anymore and you will have to take the xs4all dedicated server or colocation services.

Colocation costs:
1 server: 95 euro per month (one time 150 euro) and you need to build your own computer

Dedicated server costs:
Quad core, 4gb ram, 2TB hdd: 369 euro per month
Dual Quad core, 12gb ram, 3TB hdd: 649 euro per month

As you see a dedicated server service is way too expensive.
colocation is pretty expensive as well especially because you have to build the whole computer (~1000 euro).

Dang Yankovic, you can't pull some strings for letting us buy a new system to swap it out for the old one?

Do it for your old buddy CNT Warrio Wink