Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

No pits for 1 week

As stated in the changelog, the pits will be removed for 1 week.

In a few days you can begin discussing here what you think about it. But please don't discuss anything if you haven't actually tried it out properly.

I thinks pits is a habit old XUO players... I cant understand that; in pits you cant attack someone, cant macro anything, cant use your skills & spells and cant trade someone... Soo why we need "pits".... Peoples allways stand in there and be afk in there... Soo someone explain that why we need "Pits" area...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Galdor Wrote:I thinks pits is a habit old XUO players... I cant understand that; in pits you cant attack someone, cant macro anything, cant use your skills & spells and cant trade someone... Soo why we need "pits".... Peoples allways stand in there and be afk in there... Soo someone explain that why we need "Pits" area...

In the old days i think we could craft and trade in pits on old xuo. You did not gain skill however but if u were gm alch for example and just needed some manas u could craft em there.

Man made booze, God did not
God made pot, man did not

Galdor Wrote:I thinks pits is a habit old XUO players... I cant understand that; in pits you cant attack someone, cant macro anything, cant use your skills & spells and cant trade someone... Soo why we need "pits".... Peoples allways stand in there and be afk in there... Soo someone explain that why we need "Pits" area...

Because it is a good meeting spot for people to meet people at, plus if u die somewhere there's most likely a pits rune nearby so u can get "home" again, without having to use some stuck service or run for hours.

Yes I know that Britain works as a meeting spot for blue players too, and Ocllo probably works like a meeting spot for reds, but it's still not the same thing. The Pits is a great place to resuit after u've died, and get ready to go again, it encourages ganking is a major way and its also a very good way for new players to see that even tho the shard "only" has 50 players, it's not empty, everybody can find other people easy.

Ultima Online is a big world, 50 players split over that world means that it'll look empty almost always. Sure Britain is a popular city for newbies and blues, so there may be some activity there, but the reds won't rly see other ppl ever, and if they'd have to turn blue to be able to meet and talk to a lot of players (which is a big part of ultima online) they won't be able to gank as many people, and since everybody will go blue after a while there won't rly be any ganking going on anymore.

people will be like "ok, now I can't kill anymore blues, I've got 5 kills, almost turning red now, I'll go idle and wait for some kills to disapear, or just chat a while in britain". Where's the fun in that? :/

Oh well.. we'll have it for one week now. Feel free to try out how u like it, but I think that this will seperate the shard rather than bring it together.

Enjoy your week without the pits tho :]

Regards,
Hate

Hate Wrote:Because it is a good meeting spot for people to meet people at, plus if u die somewhere there's most likely a pits rune nearby so u can get "home" again, without having to use some stuck service or run for hours.

Yes I know that Britain works as a meeting spot for blue players too, and Ocllo probably works like a meeting spot for reds, but it's still not the same thing. The Pits is a great place to resuit after u've died, and get ready to go again, it encourages ganking is a major way and its also a very good way for new players to see that even tho the shard "only" has 50 players, it's not empty, everybody can find other people easy.

Ultima Online is a big world, 50 players split over that world means that it'll look empty almost always. Sure Britain is a popular city for newbies and blues, so there may be some activity there, but the reds won't rly see other ppl ever, and if they'd have to turn blue to be able to meet and talk to a lot of players (which is a big part of ultima online) they won't be able to gank as many people, and since everybody will go blue after a while there won't rly be any ganking going on anymore.

people will be like "ok, now I can't kill anymore blues, I've got 5 kills, almost turning red now, I'll go idle and wait for some kills to disapear, or just chat a while in britain". Where's the fun in that? :/

Oh well.. we'll have it for one week now. Feel free to try out how u like it, but I think that this will seperate the shard rather than bring it together.

Enjoy your week without the pits tho :]

Regards,
Hate

I almost started playing again lol, no pits?

Ill be back to check in a week..

I thought the server was going to get better? - Sweet idea with the no pits. << laff

All Eyez On Me[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]

When shard closed mounths ago we losed much people and they didnt want come back 3. time (INR, INX 1st, INX2th)... and also cause no new weapon and new other thinks... think this is why shard have few people..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

we actually lost most of our players last christmas..... I think they all got a ps3 or an xboxSmile I remember days of 35 people online... Plus the shard wzn't anywhare as developed as it is now but GM's are deffo doing everything they can to keep the shard going and it can only get better.

I think that we tried no pits on Sphere XUO and it turned out pretty poorly, but it's good to revisit WHY exactly. So, let me give my opinion as a non-PVPer (yet.)

The pits do serve an important purpose as far as meeting up with people, ressurrecting and getting back to your body quickly, etc. However, it causes several problems.

People go AFK in pits and don't explore or PVP anywhere but Occlo. Lots of people stand around the red teleporters waiting for someone to step through to a red town, then they follow and gank the bajeezus out of them. The problem is, sometimes it takes a while for someone you want to kill to go through. I just read a post about someone waiting 2+ hours for someone to step through the gates so that they could kill them. Doesn't sound like fun to me, but hell, knock yourself out.

The problem as I see it is that there's no incentive for reds to go out and gank people. I think that several factors contribute to this:

1) A lack of "hot spots". The staff has done a good job of adding interesting stuff all over the world, but what this also means is that there's no good way to tell where someone is. I'm standing afk in an unguarded place that I know is popular while I write this, but have little worry of having someone come and kill me.
(as an example of a hotspot, think of the Wind courtyard in NOS and Sphere XUO. There were about 20 randomly colored rides walking around there and lots of tamers went there to get rides. Of course, lots of PKs went there to kill those tamers.)

2) Low population means it's less likely to find people in the mentioned hotspots. You might blow through a whole bag of recall regs trying to find someone and not see anyone.

3) Lack of good red vs blue wars. For example, the Brit bridge. Everyone keeps mentioning the brit bridge like it's the epitome of red v blue and will be our savior if people will just go there. The truth of the matter is, reds go to the bridge, blues dump all their gear in the bank and run around hoping to see someone die that they can loot. The ones who do participate will run forward, then run back into the guards hoping that the reds will step just a little too far. That is if any PVP happens at all. What's more likely is the reds will show up, make their presence known, and everyone will just go back to the bank and ignore the whole thing.

4) I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of.

An option to fix the problem is to add some sorts of hotspots where lots of people go to and increase the population. Hopefully the video contest will create some good advertisements for the shard. I haven't worked on one yet. >_< Recruiting friends and doing the vote thing will help a bit also.

Hopefully the pits being gone will help the PVPers find a new way to play besides teleporter camping. I don't expect them to be gone forever based on history, but maybe some of the habits that are picked up this week will carry over past the pits being reinstated.

I think there have been a great activity at brit bridge all day since the pits were removed. So that's at least one big + in my opinion.

[Image: sigpicc123.png]

Sindern Wrote:Recruiting friends and doing the vote thing will help a bit also.

I agree with this i think 1 of the reasons we dnt have many players yet is because of the lack of voting, i can honastly say myself has logged in to the forums many times and forgot to vote, maybe a voting stone linked to the top voting site would help a little as most UO players will go to find a good shard on these sites, I dnt think blocking the pits wz a good idea it wz good for finding out info like asking the pvp'ers for directions on how the pvp works, meeting new players and sumwhare whare the GM's can be visible and easily found by all players. Removing the pits doen't mean less people afk, sumtimes we go in the pits and there is few people, other times we go in and alot of people but plenty of interaction happening.

Lederoil Wrote:I think there have been a great activity at brit bridge all day since the pits were removed. So that's at least one big + in my opinion.

To bad all you guys do is just stand at the end of the bridge and call guards. I thought you guys were gunna pvp that's just standing still like it's the new pits.

I came by to stand and see what's going on, but I haven't practiced PVP at all yet so I didn't get involved. I need to find someone to show me what to do.

i.e. Do people always use scrolls for FS, lightning, heal, etc? If so, why? Are they faster? Don't fizzle? Uninterruptible?