Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CONTEST 1 - The Search

The country was beautiful, but very dangerous. She knew she would have to be very careful, not only of wild animals, but of cutthroats and brigands out marauding. Several times, she had to hide herself, when she felt danger tingling up her spine. She knew not why she had the foreboding thoughts, but always was rewarded when she saw what had caused them, would have indeed meant sure death for her.

She made a small camp and set to fix herself something to eat. Being very weary, she let her guard down, and was startled to look up and see a man watching her across the fire. Fear gripped her heart as she rose and stumbled back,

“Nay Lady, I mean thee no harm. I am Nug, and was passing when I saw the fire. Please be at ease, my friend and I would welcome your company if you will have us”.

Elissa turned to see the other man, looking at her with a mischievous grin on his face, “Greetings lady”, he said as he made a sweeping bow to her, “Aye, I am Lan at thee service, if you will allow it to be. Nug may have seen thee fire, but I smelled thee food, and fear to die of hunger if thee does not offer the least tiny spoonful to assuage this emptiness in my stomach.” He then cut his eye to the other when he spoke.

“Great Lords Has thee no manners at all?” Nug said as he shook his head. “Lady forgive him, he suffers at times with brain spasms, and knows not what he says or does.”

Elissa smiled, she had no ill feeling about the two men, and hoped she was right. “I am Elissa, and mayhaps Sirrah, if he has a bite to eat, his manners and spasms might improve? I have made plenty, and thee both are most welcome.”

Nug took the stew and smiled his thanks, “Lady Elissa, why is it thee is out here alone? Tis no place for a Lady to be traveling alone.”

“Nay tis not indeed”, Lan said as he took the bowl from Elissa, “The lands run rampant with nasty creatures, be they man or beast, no place for a Lady to be alone at all.”

Elissa sat and studied the bowl of stew she held. Lan and Nug looked to each other, as they waited for a response from her, seeing the distraught look upon her face they both remained quiet as they wondered what troubled her so.

Slowly she glanced at each of them, and they were concerned to see the beginnings of unshed tears in her eyes. Then with a deep breathe, she told them how she came to be there with them that night.

“Keegan! I swear to the Great Lord that vermin will feel my Blade!” Lan growled as he stood and stalked away from the fire. Elissa was startled by his outburst, but recovered, and looked to Nug questioning him with her eyes.

“Aye Lady Elissa, we too, have had bad times of it involving this Keegan. You see, my brother Stitch, has been searching for him for over a year. Lan and I have been out looking and we always seem to be just out of reach of the scoundrel, tis like he is a cat with nine lives to elude us like he does.”

Nug paused, looking at Elissa, “My sister, Arabella, was taken by Keegan. He ravaged her and beat her viciously until she died. Then left her broken body for the creatures to take, as if she were nothing. Stitch has been beside himself with grief, he is blaming himself for it, because Keegan and his cutthroats attacked him, and left him for dead.

Tears flowed down Elissas face, knowing the anguish this gentle man must be feeling. She knew his pain had to be greater than hers, for he had known his sister and loved her, while she had never met her family at all. “I am so sorry Nug, tis very sad and tragic to lose a loved one in such a way as this. Your brothers, Lan, and Stitch, I pray, as well as you, will be able to find solace and peace within thyselves.”

“Nay Elissa, Lan is brother to me only in heart and spirit. His pain over Arabellas loss however, is mayhaps greater than mine or my brother Stitch. You see, Lan and Arabella were betrothed, and were to be married the next day. Lan has sworn to find Keegan and make him pay personally for what he has done to all of us. He has suffered greatly over this. Lan was startled when we saw thee through the trees, you see, you favor Arabella in looks. I think, he thought he was seeing a ghost.

“Nugman! Elissa! You will never guess what I have found lurking about in the shadows!” Lan said as he strode back into the camp. “I almost had to use my sword as they were making so much noise I thought was a Trolloc, or Lolth coming after me.”

Elissa saw a beautiful lady step out of the trees and make her way to the fire. “Lan, you were making so much noise thyself, thee would never have heard a Trolloc had it run up and smacked thee in the mouth! I thought thee had better sense than to be making so much noise this late in this country!”

Nug stood, “Gabrielle! Tis always good to see thy sweet face My Lady! I am glad to see thee is well.” Turning he gestured to Elissa, “Lan and I came across this fine lady, Elissa, and she was kind enough to share her fire and food with us.”

“Aahh, yes, he probably smelled your food miles away and nearly broke his neck to get here,” Gabrielle said with an impish grin on her face. “ He is always after a meal whereever he can find one.”

Lan glared at Gabrielle, and Nug laughed. Elissa laughed herself, and stepped forward to offer her hand “I am pleased to meet thee, Lady Gabrielle, and please, there is plenty to eat, would you join us?”

They all sat, and ate, and talked of the past happenings, not only with Keegan, but of the influx of Trollocs, and Dark Friends overrunning the lands. Elissa never heard of such before, having been raised by the Sisters, hidden away from everything. When she asked questions, they all three tried their best to answer them. The hour grew late, and they all decided to get some sleep.
Nug stood and put more wood on the fire, “You three, go sleep now, I will take first watch. Lan, I will wake thee in two hours, for yours.”

With this said, Nug walked over to a fallen log and sat quietly, as the others lay down and went to sleep. His thoughts were varied and troubled. Remembering all the heart ache he and his family and friends had been through. Stretching his legs out before him, he settled back and let his mind roam as the others slept.

Elissa knew not what it was, but she came awake suddenly with a terrible sense of danger surrounding her. She looked around the camp quietly, and saw Lan and Gabrielle fast asleep, then glancing at Nug, she noticed he seemed to have dozed off himself. She rose and started to stoke the fire when a movement caught her eye, she looked towards Nug, and felt the icy fingers of fear envelope her heart like never before, as a huge apparition, appeared behind Nug.

“Nugman!!!!!!” She screamed as she felt an overpowering rage build in herself at the danger to her new friend. Nug jerked awake, and looked up in time to see twin bolts of energy released from Elissas hands heading straight towards him, he dove and rolled away, then jumped to his feet in time to see the bolts cut the Trolloc into.

“TO ARMS ALL !!!!” Nug yelled as he grabbed his sword just in time to fend off another of the creatures as it burst out of the trees towards him. Lan and Gabrielle both jumped to their feet together, in time to fend off others as they descended upon them out of the trees. Lan, Nug and Gabrielle all fought with all their strength, cutting into the horrid creatures with their swords, as Elissa sent bolts of energy and fire into the creatures as fast as she could. All of them were yelling encouragement to the others as they fought bravely against the Trollocs, but there were many and they were all wondering if they were going to make it out of this fight with their lives intact.

All at once they all heard a loud battle cry as two horses plunged out of the darkness towards them. One with a lavender haired Lady swinging a sword with great strength and speed, and the other a red haired girl wielding her sword as easily as if she were born to it. With the reinforcement of the two unknown ladies, they rallied together, and soon, stood panting from exertion, as they surveyed the carnage in front of them.

Nugman walked to Elissa and steadied her, she was quite weak after the magic she had used, “Lady Elissa, had you not warned me, I would truly be walking with the ghosts at this time. I am forever in thy debt, anything you ever need you have only to ask.”

Elissa placed her hand on his arm, “Nay Sirrah,” she said with a weak smile, “ I only did what anyone else would have done. I am just happy I awoke in time to warn thee.” Having said this she turned to the two women. The one, was younger, and beautiful with long flowing red hair, then she looked at the other.

This woman had violet eyes and hair, and when she returned Elissas gaze, there was an instant recognition to both of them, “Sister”? They both ask together.

“Brenna?” Elissa asked..............

“Elissa?” Brenna asked.............

The others just looked at them a little confused, as the two women walked up to each other and embraced, tears flowing down their faces. Then Nug realized what was happening, “Elissa? This is your sister? The one you told me and Lan about?”

Elissa stepped back and glanced at Nug, “Yes, this is my sister, I have found her at last.”

Brenna glanced around at them all then smiled to Elissa, “Nay sister, I think twas I who found thee! “ Then she laughed and they embraced again. “Now, I want to introduce you to my very head strong daughter who was not supposed to come after me.” She looked to the red haired girl, “This is my daughter Kristen, Kristen, this be your Aunt Elissa. My sister who was taken away when she was born.”

Elissa looked at Kristen and smiled, “I feel so blessed this night! Not only have I found my Sister and Niece, but also Three wonderful friends!!

Learn From The Past...
Live For The Present...
Look To The Future.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=718919928
http://www.myspace.com/sarenaquantell

Thank You Galens Big Grin

I am looking forward to the next Contest!!!!

Learn From The Past...
Live For The Present...
Look To The Future.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=718919928
http://www.myspace.com/sarenaquantell