Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

An idea

This post is spawned on the premise that a few players are getting bored. Please try to contribute worthwhile posts and keeps personal bias and flames out of it. Do those on my other posts.Tongue

Here we go:

A few player besides Silver and Sombrax have stated they're bored. These two ideas I think need some further insight and I want opinions.

Proposition number one:

Crafting is wanted and hard. People have expressed that it's even too easy! I propose that we make Minoc mine unguarded.

Why?

The percentage of mines guarded is so few, why not have them all without guards? It raises the chance for attack, it keeps you on your toes. Interaction is increased, ores are tougher to get to, and it makes the skill that much more valuable to train.

It'll put more people into the world. They'll scrape the lands searching for "safe" spots to mine. I saw a guy the other day mining a mountain wall in the middle of nowhere. I didn't kill him because he asked me not to and honestly I admired the balls it took to just mine out in the open like that with no skills except mining.

If the guards are removed there will be a change of hands of ore, the value ore can provide, and therefore can also attribute to the economy in a way, such as, the demand is higher but supply is limited, therefore higher prices, OR lower prices.

Second point:

Prices for certain things, generic, or common things. Horses. I started with 500 gold pieces. The price for a horse is on average above that, yet a pack mule is actually a bit cheaper in some instances. I think the prices could be lowered since they basically provide nothing but transportation. Leave higher priced rides to the tamers.

These prices can open a whole new book, such as crafting an iron plate helmet that sells for 10gps, but then I craft a dagger and it sells for 12gps.

That aside, I think Minoc mine being unguarded would help interaction, make the mining skill and smithy skill "harder" without having to compromise skill gain.

That's my big two issues. Hunting seems fine now, I've had no problems in making plenty of money. You just need to sell things also.

Contributing responses, please.

And put some rides in wind. Add some cool ones. Like on XUO. Smile

*applauds smurtle*

Some good points there, the idea i think behind making minoc unguarded would only be a temporary fix... if it becomes unguarded sure you might get a minute of entertainment killing the newbie miners but in the end we are all going to lose out.

Ive personally always seen Minoc as the new people town, it where most people go to start out training there crafts as it has everything... a safe bank, smithy shop plenty of trees and a largish mine. If we then lose this mine then we are going to lose all these new players.

I think they way it is now with the unguarded spaces between the bridge and mine entrance is good. It allows the murderers to sneak in and kill miners but also give the miners SOME change to survive...

Ive seen some good fights in front of that mine in the last few days... the guard lines make it all the more interesting Big Grin

Anyway thats just my input on that point.

Your second point about horses is true also... i remember they used to only cost like 300gp or something didnt they?

Saintful Sinner, The Ministry

make skillgain (combats) faster out of town, that should give pks something to do.

For once ill have to disagree with a idear that actualy makes things harder.
I like mt. kendall to be guarded, not that i have ever spend more than a min there mining. But i know so many that went there when they were new and meet there first frinds and later guild mates. That place is and always will be a littel safe heaven for new player to find new frinds while making a living.

Need pots or stangs drop me a PM, i got it all.

Ingame char: Es [SIN]

1. More Coloured horses (basic colours) like in cars you want normal colour, ok u get it, but if u want metallic and nice colours u have to pay more, so rare mustangs should be hard to find as now.
  2. Scribe increase easier? or make that people win more money
  3. Make mt.kendall only reach for people that have less than 70 in mining.
  4. Rewards every month or every two months Lol Wink like vet rewards for the time u have been in INX.
  5. Make BODS they are awesome Big Grin and make more funny the increase of some skills.
  6. Make stealing works Big Grin Big Grin
  7. grats to Smurtle by this post but there is a similar one made by me but people prefer to complain in other post instead of help. I saw people complaining in other post and they didnt answer my post that was a list about what the server needs to be changed.

One thing i didnt like was: If we are at BETA stage why Taran sells STATIC houses? interesting :eek: and also he didnt gave time to newbies to get enough money to buy them so... other time vets have better things than newbs, is not very just. I dont mind because im sure i wont get so much money as for buying some static houses, but other people can think that it wasnt just Wink

see u Tongue

I think by making Minoc unguarded, you're adding a serious handicap to new players. Some players need a plce to pick themselves up, and mining is how 80% of them start. I think a bonus for mining in ungrded or and handicap for mining in a guarded mine should be applied.

In order to encourage players to mine outside (as this has been discussed in another topic), one possibilty could be that only unrare (verite and under) can be mined in guarded mines. Another one is to set a limit on how much ore can be dug up in guarded mines (like maybe only 1 or 2 instead of 3-4).

Making Minoc unguarded in my oppinion, will fix nothing, just add to the problem.

Also to fix affordablility in the getgo, maybe start players off with 1k, which would be enough for a horse and some gear, so they can at least start hunting in the newb dungeon. 1k also isnt enough for someone to abuse it by starting new chars over and over again.

Somethine somewhat unreleated which occured to me, is the afk macroing in cities. It doesnt take much to raise 30k for a small house. Maybe AFK macroing should only be allowed within the walls of a player house (it would also make RP sense, the player is "Sleeping"). That way the city would be more free of AFKers, and those who are there actually have a purpose. Let me know what you think

The handicap afforded to newer players is no more harsh than starting out with zero blacksmithing and the guy next to you transfered with grandmaster status.

I don't think a safe zone mine is necessarily a detriment or deterrent for newer players. What you could do is alternate another mine into the mix, say the mines north of Britain. With that in place, there's no running to the guardline of the town, but you are safe inside the mine.

It'll add more risk and still allow you to mine almost completely safe while inside the mine.

I like some of the ideas

Making minoc mines unguarded is a no-go though...

Well this is my opinion.

There are a lot of crafters around as I can see it. Having no skillcap will eventually make everyone macro their own craftskill.

I think that all the craft skills should be reviewed and they should be ALL important to PvP.
This way the PvP guys will need the crafters, and the crafters will need the PvP guys to buy them stuff, and the economy will start to be more interesting.

At the moment only inscription is truly important, as far as I know. Bowcraft is for the elven bow (why would you make your own arrows if you can buy them cheap in one second at the stones?)

Blacksmith is for people that want to look nice inside cities (posers Tongue)

The others just suck Tongue

In my opinion the shard already has few bugs, none of them very important. It is time to start thinking on balancing things, starting with trade skills, and then maybe armors/weapons so there's some variety.

I said already on another post.. Lack of variety brings boredom. Everyone does the same, and everyone looks the same, and everyone has the same goals. Not fun after a while.

But this is just my view of Ultima Online. I hope it helps a bit Smile

I agree with making unguarded the minoc mine, there are some days that i just run a script in minoc mine and i just see the screen every few mins while i watch tv or something else. I have a sense of safety, but while im watching TV i win plenty of money. I make like 8k daily. So i dont think thats fair, yes i know there are begginers and else but still not fair.

[Image: 2cn76h2.gif] [Image: avatar20124_12.gif] If you liked my posted, dont forget to thank me Wink!

Best Regards,
Hiroshima.

Kepi Wrote:I agree with making unguarded the minoc mine, there are some days that i just run a script in minoc mine and i just see the screen every few mins while i watch tv or something else. I have a sense of safety, but while im watching TV i win plenty of money. I make like 8k daily. So i dont think thats fair, yes i know there are begginers and else but still not fair.

You make 8k daily? Trust me, thats not a lot to me. I can make 100k in a day if I hunted my ass off. And thats without using any magic except for maybe a blade spirit every once in a while and recall.