Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Skill gain magery and healing

I don't think crafts should be transfered. That's the only thing I've cared about. Combats and magery will come when they come- but I know they've worked hard in the past to GM them and so have, repetition based and "harder-the-item" based. Economically, starting every craft from 50 would work also.

Shadok Wrote:Alright got a bit tired of hearing all these different oppinions in different threads about how slow/fast it is to train these two important UO skills, all based on fealings and roumors.
So i decided to put it to a test and get it straight.

Task: hunt for gold to buy enough regs and bandages to cast magic arrow on my self and then bandage heal my char right afterwards.
The steps are listed below, and starts at 00:00 houer, with me standing in Brit fully equiped (my hunting can be done with the same effeciency by anyone that can cast blade spirits, recall and have a few runes)

I Started with the following skills
Magery 90,0
Healing 81,5

00:00 I started hunting for gold
00:40 6422gp have been earned
00:40 Started undressing, restocking and buying Soulphous Ash and bandages
00:47 The restocking is over and i started macroing
03:10 Finished training

Alright so what did i gain by this
Magery up by 1,2%
Healing up by 1,4%
And 767 blody bandages to be washed
After restocking what ressources was lost hunting, buying the bandages that was lost while training and buying 1000 soulphous ash i now have 104gp as a profit and a some nice magic weapons, armors and scrolls

So a rough calculation on the time to GM these skills
Lets asume you start with 50 in both skills and the gain rate is the same for 50 as it is for 99,9 as i have gotten (this will proberly get a max time, since i am way over halfway.
To simplyfie it more let's say i got 1,3% in each skill.
50% then have to be earned.

50/1,3 = 38,5 times i have to do this.
38,5x190 (190=3 houers and 10 min) = 7315 min = 122 houers = 5 days non stop and your GM magery and healing.
And then i will have a nice supply of scrolls, magic weapons and armors (which could be sold to bring down the time even more)
For me that do not sound to bad. I know some persons can't leave there PC on 24/7 and stuff like that, but that honestely ain't the fault of this shard.
Also do rember, this is done with magery in start 90 and healing start 80. So it should take less than 5 days nonstop.
Also the hunting can easily be done so you will also gain alot in your other combat skills. Making it even more beneficial for your char training.

Now you can disccus all you want about magery and healing being to slow. Bassed on roughly 5 days of nonstop training and ressource gathering.

Uhh LOL @ your figures.

and,

Shadok Wrote:The steps are listed below, and starts at 00:00 houer, with me standing in Brit fully equiped (my hunting can be done with the same effeciency by anyone that can cast blade spirits, recall and have a few runes)

In my opinion you just proved my point, you can only train up to 30ish magery, you can start with 50. Either of those skill levels makes it hard to cast blade spirits, mark runes and recall on them.

YOU START with 90 magery, those spells have such a small chance to fizzle, that is the big way you "Vets" have a big advantage over the 3 day old noobs. Yeah you made 5-6k or whatever in 3 hours or whatever. BUT YOU STARTED WITH THE SKILLS TO DO SO!? After DAYS of macroing I have come just UNDER GM in anatomy/fencing, I thought I would test it out on hunting, those two skills alone make it very difficult to hunt alone, w/o magery. My magery is 33.4, do you suggest I try and cast blade spirits? Or how about IF I can, with my empty spellbook I start with, if I dont fizzle on that, am I going to fizzle on dispel? Having 90 magery makes the biggest difference, that you vets dont want to own up to. I've said it a million times, I have worked my way to GM status on about seven different shards, and walked uphill both ways yada yada yada. But some things are just a bit ridiculous. The playing field is uneven, the rich get richer (vets with GM magery to start) and the poor (noobs macroing for 3 days to get one combat skill GMed and 2-3 others to about 70-75) attempt to keep up. If somone has GM magery, thats all they need to go out, mark some runes, cast some Blade spirits and bank some cash. Noobs have to macro for days straight to GM a combat, get a few other skills to expert level +, and then try and take on some monsters for 100 gold a drop, solo, without magery to cast whatever they might need. At this point it seems like I am just rambling on with my words falling on deaf ears. Oh well.

As usual my 0.02.

Thanks,

BACoustic.

First of i said this exampel is made while hunting, a char with 50 magery or lover can do this too, it will just take a bit longer to hunt for the money.
Your also completely free to go and mine for a day, that way you can easily and without any uphill fight, get some decent gold by selling your iron to peopel training blacksmithing. Infact i think a new char doing mining easily can make a better living than i can while hunting.
No one is telling you to earn your living by hunting. Many start out by mining, lumberrjacking or something else.
You can also kill monsters easy with other spells than blade spirits, firefields work great for new mages.
There are plenty of ways to earn a decent living. just use your imagination

Need pots or stangs drop me a PM, i got it all.

Ingame char: Es [SIN]

Shadok Wrote:First of i said this exampel is made while hunting, a char with 50 magery or lover can do this too, it will just take a bit longer to hunt for the money.
Your also completely free to go and mine for a day, that way you can easily and without any uphill fight, get some decent gold by selling your iron to peopel training blacksmithing. Infact i think a new char doing mining easily can make a better living than i can while hunting.
No one is telling you to earn your living by hunting. Many start out by mining, lumberrjacking or something else.
You can also kill monsters easy with other spells than blade spirits, firefields work great for new mages.
There are plenty of ways to earn a decent living. just use your imagination

Thank you, but I am not looking for tips on how to play UO, I have been playing since 1998. I was just stating that the advantage is in the hands of the Vets with GM magery.

Heh. Please stop acting like everyone opposed to giving newbs all kinds of freebies got a transferred character with every skill GMed.

I transferred my character. I havent macro'd any on this shard, except for item ID for about half an hour, so I could raise my intelligence. Other than the last two days, during which I did play for probably 12 hours each day, I havent played hardly at all (maybe 2 additional hours total since the shard started).

My highest single skill is hiding at 83.1 (which was macro'd up on INR, not here). My highest combat skill is 78ish, and I actually got from . I currently used swordsmanship, which is at about 68. My magery and archery are both at around 54. My tactics is around 60. Healing is 58.X. My magery was at 52, and Archery was at 44. My swords started at about 65. My healing started at 49. I estimate this is probably 20 hours of hunting, which definately is not near as efficient as sparring and macroing (since you typically don't heal after every hit, more like a few times eery 20-30 seconds). My magery raised those two points from occasionally casting fireball, lightning, fire field, and heal. I estimate 150 castings to get there. 2 points for 150 castings is one gain per 7.5 spells... not bad at all.

My bowcraft is 51.X, my alchemy is 39.X. I bought alchemy to the max (a bit above 30), and have only used it to make potions as I need them (and, never AFK). My bowcraft was about 35 when I started here, and I trained it up to what it is now by occasionally spending about 30 minutes filling my pack with logs, then making bows (about 4-5 different times total), and again, never AFK.

It is REAAAALLY not that hard to get going on this shard. In fact I think it is easier than it was even on INR, since I believe it took several lumberjack runs to get up to that 35, and now I went from that level to 50 with almst the same amount of effort.

I started with the same spellbook as everyone else, which had I believe 12 spells. I actually JUST got a recall scroll last night (somebody gave it to me, actually), but I still have no runes or a mark scroll. I just found a blade spirits scroll today, but I havent had a chance to use it.

It sounds like you guys are WAAAY ahead of me in the PvP and PvM department!

Still, Ive been enjoying myself plenty! However, I enjoy all aspects of the game though, thus I don't feel like I am in a bind so I can macro all my skills up so I can pwn everyone in one single aspect.

*edit*

Oh, and Ive made about 30k total. A friend and I just pooled together and bought a small house last night.

I also very much agree that if you just mined instead, you would probably make more than hunting as a newb.

Lindenwood Wrote:I estimate 150 castings to get there. 2 points for 150 castings is one gain per 7.5 spells... not bad at all..

If that really is true you are either very lucky somehow, or the skill gain is somehow different for each character. I used all my money I had collected to get ready to macro and bought regs for 700 magic arrow casts. After using all 700 casts up I gained 1.2. I also healed after every cast and more and gained somewhere around the same amount, cant say for sure on that one as I didnt check it before I started.

Sorry that was for 55.5 magery to 56.7. My healing is at 61 now I believe.

Rexal Wrote:If that really is true you are either very lucky somehow, or the skill gain is somehow different for each character. I used all my money I had collected to get ready to macro and bought regs for 700 magic arrow casts. After using all 700 casts up I gained 1.2. I also healed after every cast and more and gained somewhere around the same amount, cant say for sure on that one as I didnt check it before I started.

Sorry that was for 55.5 magery to 56.7. My healing is at 61 now I believe.

It's not different from char to char, but luck does definitely play a role. I got my .1 magery at 99.9 after about 30 casts, other people have spent 500. I think that the calculated number that it is "supposed" to take at that level is 150. The ups and downs will eventually even out though, and you will end up spending the expected "train time".

maka Wrote:It's not different from char to char, but luck does definitely play a role. I got my .1 magery at 99.9 after about 30 casts, other people have spent 500. I think that the calculated number that it is "supposed" to take at that level is 150. The ups and downs will eventually even out though, and you will end up spending the expected "train time".

My complaints may be more based on the fact I cant macro continually and therefore my time to get to where I want to be before I even play will just be A LOT LONGER than I was expecting. I believe just taking a look at magery and healing will do the most good for everyone. I can see why you dont want some skills to be easy, and I totally agree with that, but magery and healing, the main XUO pvp skills? I also cant seem to think of how making those two skills a bit easier would affect the shard much. I could only see it increasing the activity and number of players.

Thanks for your recent replies Maka.

Rexal Wrote:My complaints may be more based on the fact I cant macro continually and therefore my time to get to where I want to be before I even play, will just be A LOT LONGER than I was expecting. I believe just taking a look at magery and healing will do the most good for everyone. I can see why you dont want some skills to be easy, and I totally agree with that, but magery and healing, the main XUO pvp skills? I also cant seem to think of how making those two skills a bit easier would afect the shard much. I could only see it increasing the activity and number of players.

Thanks for your recent replies Maka.

I 2nd this.

BACoustic