Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

formatting my pc

im formatting my pc today. ill be back in a day or two if all goes right.

have fun Smile

Thanks,
GM Pande
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It takes 1-2 days to format your PC? :eek:

WTF! Big Grin

It takes about one hour to format, reinstall windows, and fix all drivers/settings!

[Image: sigpicc123.png]

i keep a partition with all my drivers on it ;/

Yankovic - "... Oh Nasir, sorry, you are teh greatest. I'm a fool, you were right all the time. please forgive me. ..." (possibly out of context)

Nasir Wrote:i keep a partition with all my drivers on it ;/

Does that work? =/

I normally keep my installationfiles on an other patition. But I'm using only one now =/ I forgot to make more partitions, and I'm too afraid to lose any data to make them now.

BTW; Check my Magus imitation on the Image Gallery!

[Image: sigpicc123.png]

Lederoil Wrote:Does that work? =/

I normally keep my installationfiles on an other patition. But I'm using only one now =/ I forgot to make more partitions, and I'm too afraid to lose any data to make them now.

BTW; Check my Magus imitation on the Image Gallery!

use partition magic to split that partition into 2 or 3 Smile takes a couple of hours so dont be afraid it got hunged, like i did and rebooted first time i tried it :>:>

How do you kill that wich have no life? :EE

Gnome Partition Editor (gparted) is better ;/

Yankovic - "... Oh Nasir, sorry, you are teh greatest. I'm a fool, you were right all the time. please forgive me. ..." (possibly out of context)

haha Smile i forgot i had a laptop for a moment lol.

and yea it takes 2-3 days for me to format, re-install xp, and get all my programs, games, music back on and installed considering i ended up working my 2nd day off, and had to go see my boss the first day off which took some time, then i ran into a bunch of problems while formatting...

i cant just pop in the xp cd and boot off it, i have some problems i have to go around such as going to the microsoft website, downloading an app that will create 6 floppy disks which i can then boot from to install xp.

originally i downloaded the wrong app, i had downloaded windows xp home edition, when i have windows xp pro so then i downloaded windows xp pro sp 1 and when the setup asks me to insert the xp disc... it doesn't accept it. so im kinda screwed... now i gotta figure out wtf is going on, and if microsoft has another app i could download for windows xp pro, not xp pro sp 1

the good news however is that i managed to extend one HD from 120 gigs to 194 Smile (its a 200 gig HD but for some reason i had 70 gigs blocked off and i couldnt make another partition with those 70 gigs, or extend the existing one)

Thanks,
GM Pande
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pande Wrote:haha Smile i forgot i had a laptop for a moment lol.

and yea it takes 2-3 days for me to format, re-install xp, and get all my programs, games, music back on and installed considering i ended up working my 2nd day off, and had to go see my boss the first day off which took some time, then i ran into a bunch of problems while formatting...

i cant just pop in the xp cd and boot off it, i have some problems i have to go around such as going to the microsoft website, downloading an app that will create 6 floppy disks which i can then boot from to install xp.

originally i downloaded the wrong app, i had downloaded windows xp home edition, when i have windows xp pro so then i downloaded windows xp pro sp 1 and when the setup asks me to insert the xp disc... it doesn't accept it. so im kinda screwed... now i gotta figure out wtf is going on, and if microsoft has another app i could download for windows xp pro, not xp pro sp 1

the good news however is that i managed to extend one HD from 120 gigs to 194 Smile (its a 200 gig HD but for some reason i had 70 gigs blocked off and i couldnt make another partition with those 70 gigs, or extend the existing one)

thats because win2k and (i think) xp sp1 doesn't allow bigger partitions then 120gb unless you edit that in registry.

why cant you boot from cd?? :E

Windows XP maximum limits (32-bit):

Maximum:
2 Physical CPUs (Multi-Core + Hyper-threading supported)
4 GB of RAM

4 GB of Virtual Memory
2 TB NTFS Partition (Basic Volume)
16 TB minus 64 KB NTFS Partition (Dynamic Volume - 4 KB Cluster Size)
256 TB minus 64 KB NTFS Partition (Dynamic Volume - 64 KB Cluster Size)
> 137 GB Hard Disks require SP1 or higher (48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS Required)

Nasir Wrote:Windows XP maximum limits (32-bit):

Maximum:
2 Physical CPUs (Multi-Core + Hyper-threading supported)
4 GB of RAM

4 GB of Virtual Memory
2 TB NTFS Partition (Basic Volume)
16 TB minus 64 KB NTFS Partition (Dynamic Volume - 4 KB Cluster Size)
256 TB minus 64 KB NTFS Partition (Dynamic Volume - 64 KB Cluster Size)
> 137 GB Hard Disks require SP1 or higher (48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS Required)

my partitions always became 120gb sized unless i edited my registery Smile

to be honest i have no idea why i cant boot from the xp cd...

(new development: i made the boot floops disks, was able to start installing xp, but it seems only 1 key works for each cd meaning i cant take my old key and install xp with another disk. it has to be the disk that went with that key)

i had bought a 200gig HD maybe 2 years ago, and at that time i had XP Pro SP 2 and my pc read the HD as 120gig and not 200gig. so i went to the store i bought it from and the guy used some program and increased the partition size. he litterally clicked and dragged a bar... i think it is called partition magic that he used so i tried getting that, but it seems you gotta buy it, or you only get a demo and cant do shit with the demo :/

about my HD size... when i ran the setup boot floppy disks, it brought me to a screen saying which HD/partition to install XP on, or which drives to format. so first i deleted the only partition on each HD so i had 2 HDs that were 100% unpartitioned. then i created a partition on each with the maximum partition size allowed (roughly 78gig on my 80gig HD and 194gig on my 200gig HD)

now im formatting the HDs again because the xp install screwed up on me, and once that is done i will try using another XP disc with it's key...

Thanks,
GM Pande
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]