Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Venos' Path

Part 3

I saw Thea at breakfast. She was just walking out when I came in to the kitchen.
I spent that day in the mine with 2 others. I didn't know them nor did i want to. Mokar was the guard on duty with my group today. He hadn't spoken directly to me after I had joined The Group and I did not want that to change so I simply worked like I was used to.
Midday came and went and towards evening we packed up and headed back towards the keep.
Evening meal was being prepared as my group came in so after we had packed our tools away and washed we could sit right down for dinner.
During the day I had let my mind wander for way to escape. The obvious one would be to simply run into the forest while out on lumber duty, perhaps slip away silently, perhaps we could just.... I had no ideas we hadn't talked over already. Well new ideas didn't just spring up over dinner did they?

After dinner I headed up to my room, or rather our room. After having joined The Group single rooms no longer existed and we lived in four man rooms that were only just big enough to hold four cots for us to sleep in.
I wasn't quite finished thinking over the possibilities of escape however so I simply lay down to think.
My head had barely touched the pillow when I had a scream.
I jumped out of my cot and flung the door open. I heard a yell coming from what sounded the front door of the keep.
"It's vampires! To arms all!"
I ran down the hallway to get to the room where Thea was sleeping. I turned the corner and saw she was already out and had apparently had time to put on more clothes then I had. She was fully dressed and i was only wearing short pants.
"Thea we need to go now!" I panted when I got to her.
She simply looked up at me and said: "I know."
I took her hand and we ran down the stairs to get into the main ground level room and to the front doors.

We had barely crossed the main room to the small hallway leading to the main doors when the doors burst open killed the 2 guards before they even raised their shields.
Thea pulled me off to the side just in time to avoid an arrow flying in through the open door.
"Venos we can't fight them." Her voice sounded like she had already surrendered.
"We have to try! You know what they will do to anyone that surrenders. If we fight we at least have a small chance!"
I picked up a board and turned around in a protective stance in front of Thea.
We were standing in the corner and the first four vampires ran right past without looking in our direction. The next two however were more thorough.
"Ah here we have some prey." The first vampire hissed.
"I am not your prey vampire!" Was the only reply I could come up with considering the situation. "If you are looking for a fight however, I am more than happy to oblige you."
The first vampire came straight at me while the second circled around to my left where Thea was now standing.
What actually happened is little more than a blur to me...
What I can say however is that I didn't land the killing blow on either of the vampires. Thea was a far better fighter than me and I must admit that I had not expected it. She had never really told me anything specific about her past but I sort off always assumed she hadn't received more than minimal training in these forms of combat.
As we ran away from the keep towards the edge of the forest she was right behind me.
I had barely gotten past when the second tree when I heard a scream behind me. I stopped and turned back to see Thea on her knees. A vampire had his arm around her neck.
"On your knees human or she dies right here." His voice was dark. Or maybe that's just how my mind remembered it.
I hesitated for just a second before I slumped down on my knees head down. I couldn't let her die. Not when I had a chance to help her.
"Smart more human. Although it was entirely expected. "I could feel the vampire's grin even if I couldn't see it.
Another vampire stepped out from the shadows and grabbed my arms from behind.
"And now human, it's time to see just how powerful I am." The first vampire said.
He released his grip on Thea and learned his head down. I yelled: "Nooooo!"
His fangs easily penetrated Thea's skin and I could see her wince from the pain.
Twenty seconds later he raised up to his full height again and laughed at me as a tear rolled down my cheek.

*blackness*

I woke on a hard stone floor. Not that different from what I had experienced in the dungeon of the keep. Here however there was absolutely no light. Whether my eyes were open or closed seemed to make no difference at all. I was not chained or bound but I could only feel my way around.

It took me just a few minutes to feel my way around the room. It was small barely two by two meters I'd say.

I had been awake for an hour or so, it was hard to tell given the situation. Needless to say I had no hope of living past another day at most. Vampires rarely kept their food alive for too long. "Someone is always hungry" is a saying I had heard in a few stories.
I heard quiet footsteps outside my room. It sounded like two pairs of footsteps but it was hard to tell.
The door creaked open and let just enough light in that I could see it was two people.
"Here is your first meal." The voice was familiar somehow but I couldn't place it.
The smaller person stepped into the room and the door was close again.
"Hello Venos." Thea said. Her voice was unchanged but her emotions behind it were very different.
"Thea is that you?"
"Yes."
Without even sensing her approaching I felt her strong arms grasp me. Her fangs pierced my skin with little need for force.
I didn't fight.
I felt her drain my body of blood as she sucked it out of my wounds.
Suddenly she stopped.
"I am not going to kill you. And no I won’t turn you either. I may be a vampire now but I won't let your become one because of me."
She let me go and I slipped onto the floor.

When I opened my eyes again it was in a healer’s cot in Britain.
"How did I get here?" I asked.
"You were brought in by a lady yesterday. She did not tell us anything she just came in put you on the cot and then left." The healer answered.
"Thank you." Was the only response I could give.
An hour later I was walking down the street from Lord British's Castle towards the bank. As I crossed under the bridge I felt a sudden shiver.
"Hello Venos."
"Thea is that you?"
"Who else do you know that prefers shadows?" She said while taking a step closer so I could see her smile.
I jumped over and hugged her.
"I missed you too." She said. "And I am sorry I bit you. I was just so hungry."
I stepped back and looked into her beautiful green eyes. "You saved my life. That's how I remember it." I smiled.
"Thank you for not hating me."
"I never could Thea."

After she departed I headed down towards the bank.

It’s time to start a new life.

Messages In This Thread
Venos' Path - by Venos - 07-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Venos' Path - by Venos - 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Venos' Path - by Venos - 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Venos' Path - by Venos - 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM