Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fix LOS for firebreathing

There's nothing like getting targetted for fire breathing and running like hell to break LOS (most times behind a wall) only to have the thing one-shot you even though it can't see it. When I cast FS on someone and they break LOS, the spell fizzles. Why isn't it like this for PVM as well? Let's change it!!

Regards.

/signed

Nothing like being two screens away from a monster behind a wall in demon form with 250hp and keeling over dead.

Exactly :/

fire breathing is basically explosion that damages based on the monsters remaining hp. A beefed up explosion really... if the delay was gone and it was used you could die anyway.

I suppose that it could have a range/los check instead but then it would almost be pointless for monsters to even have it because you can see/hear it coming and avoid it, making it pointless 90% of the time.

Maybe if you couldn't tell it was coming, which would bring us back to the same issue really... but if it was just changed to do a range/los check I could see it becoming much easier to hunt things that used it.

Seriously though, I don't like it having a delay really but right now it is just an explosion, so if they target you with it and you are in their los then it will hit you. Just like how you cant los an explosion if someone casts it on you :p

The way I imagine hunting a dragon (or anything else that breathes fire, for that matter) is that it has a physical warmup before it actually starts breathing fire. So I don't see why you couldn't keep the sound and still allow the player to break LOS. It's part of the tactical hunting that allows you to use barriers and other LOS breakers as part of your skillset. You'd still have to haul ass and get out the way. It's just tremendously non-RP how it works now...

Regards.

There's a bug with LoS when it comes to npc's casting spells. If you go out of LoS when they are casting they won't fizzle, instead they will cast it instantly the next time you show up.
I'm guessing that's the issue here and that issue is really hard to fix and require a lot of coding. At least that's what maka told me when I asked him about it ages ago.

If I recall correctly this happens because non-player mobiles still cast spells the AoS way. If it's that, it would require quite a lot of coding. I'll still take a look at it when I'm done with this other thing I'm working on unless someone beats me to it.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's frustrating.

malik Wrote:if i recall correctly this happens because non-player mobiles still cast spells the aos way. If it's that, it would require quite a lot of coding. I'll still take a look at it when i'm done with this other thing i'm working on unless someone beats me to it.

<3

Any ideas? I got owned by the firebreathing-around-the-corners-and-offscreen monster again *frown*

Fixed in next update.

Malik Wrote:Fixed in next update.

2 x <3 + XOX