Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I have to ask

this shard went down jan. 1 2007 for what (i thought) was to be a 2 week revamping to repair the scripting problems inherent with sphere. 10 months later it reemerges - briefly. what were you guys doing for those ten months and is the shard better or worse than before "repairs"were made?

[Image: frank_frazetta_thesilverwarrior1.jpg]
CRY HAVOC!!! and let slip the DOGS OF WAR!!

Does this matters ?

I for one simply want the shard back up to enjoy again Wink

i guess what i wonder about is maybe the shard was better off before it was redone, i don't recall as many bugs before it was fixed as after.

[Image: frank_frazetta_thesilverwarrior1.jpg]
CRY HAVOC!!! and let slip the DOGS OF WAR!!

Some bugs have been fixed, but far from all. Since we don't have any developers noone has been able to fix any bugs.

He is referring to when INR and XUO went down.

I'll write something short up after breakfast and edit my postTongue

Edit:
So, I was thinking about moving XUO to RunUO 2.0 long before I actually approached INR. One of the reasons to why I wanted to do this (and it applies to INX), is cause I wanted to "future secure" the server. I wanted to make it easier for future developers to add things (as RunUO 2.0 will be used in the majority of the servers), wanted to make it easier for us to use new scripts and events posted on the public forum, and wanted to include the new features and performance improvements that came with 2.0. I also felt that XUO was made in an early state of my development, and that I could produce a lot better (secure, fast and easy to read) code, so I wanted to program everything from top to bottom again. I also wanted to have the chance to enable UO:KR for the people that wanted to use it, but there are some new legal issues around that issue.

So that is what I was doing during the majority of those 10 months. I was remaking everything I made on XUO, from scratch, making sure it kept a high quality and that it was easy to understand, so that when I retired, other people could take over.

Now when it comes to quality assurance of this shard, I'm not really worried. The code is well made, and I do not think there are a lot of major bugs that could ruin anything. What the shard really needs is tweaks to the economy, loot, skill gain and features, features, features. It also desperately needs what we have promised people, the IN experience. That is where the biggest flaws are. We have yet to added enough events, quests, recipes, custom items and the IN feel we promised people. This has not yet been done cause I was working alone on the scripts during the majority of those 10 months, and cause during that time, a lot of stuff changed in my life.

But to the point, this server has almost all the features XUO had (as XUO was quite feature less in stuff not regarding PvP and features around that), with quite a lot of "spherish" addition, but very few of what IN had. The quality of most things is great, and I think that it should be able to live as such. Point is though, if there is no new features added, the shard will get boring, very very fast. The duel stones, stone ladder, tournament ladder and the guild ladder also needs to be remade, even though they work in the current state they are in right now. Just need a web page setup to get it working as it is supposed to work.

Hope that answers some of the question, but in short, INX is a very stable version of sphere with the possibilities to become something a lot greater. My personal opinion is that the server need a creative and innovative dev team to be able to survive for a longer period of time, that is at least what my vision for it was.