Imagine Nation Forums
Penalty for failing resource gathering AFK check - Printable Version

+- Imagine Nation Forums (https://in-uo.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Imagine Nation archive (https://in-uo.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://in-uo.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Penalty for failing resource gathering AFK check (/showthread.php?tid=5239)

Pages: 1 2

Penalty for failing resource gathering AFK check - Brandon - 03-24-2012

I suggest there be a penalty for failing the anti-AFK check for resource gathering after a certain amount of times in a row.

You've got a path leading to the mercenary camp from Mt Kendall. You're resurrected when you cross through the tunnel. I've witnessed countless people die, run through the tunnel, and surface again to continue mining without even attempting to retrieve the items from their corpse. In one instance, a thief had cut the corpse of the AFKer, and I looted the ingots quickly. When the miner came back I offered them their ingots. My offer was ignored and the miner continued to mine without healing.

If nothing is to be done about this please let me know so I can use it to my advantage. I'll quit gating miners away and read up on programming in lua.

Penalty for failing resource gathering AFK check - Ayleth Payne - 03-24-2012

I have to agree, the amount of times I've seen people say they are leaving to go to bed/work/wherever and continue to mine throughout that time, die, res, come back and continue to mine is large. People have figured out how to get around the anti-AFK check, granted they still die but the losses are minimal in comparison to the ingots gained in the amount of time. What would be good is after so many failed attempts they start losing mining skill or whatever skill they are using to gather said resource (not sure if other resource gather has the same issue or not). It's kind of unfair on those doing the right thing to watch the AFK'ers continuously get away with it with no repercussions. Cry

Penalty for failing resource gathering AFK check - soMa - 03-24-2012

I don't see skill loss as a deterrent because
(example) If they use a new (crappy) Char that they don't care about, why would they care if they lost skill points ? They will still gain regular ore to sell or use.

It's just gotta be carefully watched or some sort of 3 strike auto jailed.

ah good point soMa, didn't really think of that. Either way, I do think there needs to be something in place more than being killed by gump seeing as people have found ways around it.

Penalty for failing resource gathering AFK check - Azzo - 03-24-2012

The low hanging fruit here seems to be removing the resurrection from the tunnel back to mercenary camp. Regardless of if you add punishments or not.

I'm in favour of being more strict about it, but not as strict as it was in IN:X.

Penalty for failing resource gathering AFK check - Raziel_ - 03-24-2012

i'd say after 3 attempts... the dead player is moved to a random town? he wouldnt be able to res automatically that way or even find his way back ;D

Penalty for failing resource gathering AFK check - Brandon - 03-24-2012

Raziel_ Wrote:i'd say after 3 attempts... the dead player is moved to a random town? he wouldnt be able to res automatically that way or even find his way back ;D

That's fine an all but that's not much of a punishment. The gump is random and sometimes you don't see it for an hour, sometimes more. They can just come back later on and recall back to the mine to continue mining. I'm sure a crafty person could install UO on a second computer, connect to a neighbors wireless network, and then mine to their heart's content.

Penalty for failing resource gathering AFK check - sm0ke - 03-24-2012

Malik or Nasir already created a fix for this on IN-X they made a maze which was very hard to escape after they caught you afk mining a couple of times, happened to me a lot :p

Penalty for failing resource gathering AFK check - Eru - 03-24-2012

sm0ke Wrote:Malik or Nasir already created a fix for this on IN-X they made a maze which was very hard to escape after they caught you afk mining a couple of times, happened to me a lot :p
I'll be making this soon. Smile It will be more than just a maze though since you could technically macro a maze.

:whipping:

:dance:

Penalty for failing resource gathering AFK check - Dracolith - 03-25-2012

I think this is a bad idea unless you make it a time frame that makes sense like clearing the count every 12 hours or something. I don't afk mine but sometimes I do die to afk check and I don't think I should get sent to some bullshit maze for it.

As an edit... I don't mean to be too demanding but before you spend time doing this could you please first spend time making crafting more valuable compared to its difficulty?

Penalty for failing resource gathering AFK check - Eru - 03-25-2012

It wouldn't be on the first time, it would just be after failing a certain number of times. We're debating around between three to 5 within a 12-24 hour period. I'm not going to make the maze a time-sink, just something that can't be macro'd out of.