Imagine Nation Forums
Energy Field - Printable Version

+- Imagine Nation Forums (https://in-uo.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Imagine Nation archive (https://in-uo.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://in-uo.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Energy Field (/showthread.php?tid=4391)

Pages: 1 2 3

Energy Field - Taran - 10-26-2011

Hmm people cast enough spells as it is already though. I'd rather see some other use for it, like blocking spells but allowing arrows and bolts to be shot through.

Energy Field - Alexstrasza - 10-26-2011

How about if you throw a energy field between you and the target, you can still shoot arrows and spells thru but its impossible to walk thru

Taran to fast Sad
But yeah good idea allow arrow/bolt only increase the archery use and ther is to many monsters just using explosion and flamestrike its almost impossible to use combat skills on them, atleast we can fix archery this way.

Energy Field - Eru - 10-26-2011

Archery but no magic is another good idea. ;P It would make killing spell-casting monsters MUCH easier since they currently are a bit overpowered in terms of spell damage and the ability to wreck your shit with a neverending chain of flamestrikes.

Energy Field - Alexstrasza - 10-26-2011

Only need to find a way to fix melee users against all those flamestrike chains.

Energy Field - Habibi Jones - 10-26-2011

Yeah yeah yeah I like where this is going Big Grin Not being able to cast through it but still having LOS is a really good idea.

Energy Field - Taran - 10-28-2011

hmm yeah except like Eru says it would make hunting A LOT easier, too much easier. Just cast an energy field and shoot them with a bow without problems.
Maybe if it only worked with players, but I don't really see the use for that.

Energy Field - Shadok - 10-28-2011

Compared to a stone wall it´s alot more expensive to cast (mana vise)
There for make it possible for both arrows and spells to pass (just have to check it won´t make it to easy to kill Ogre lords and other stuff) this way it won´t be compleately safe to hunt the big monsters, since they can still use there magic.
Or make it hard to dispell, a stone wall will always dispell but energy field will have a x% of being dispelled, that way you can use it as the "expensive" para trap version of stone wall.

Energy Field - Habibi Jones - 10-28-2011

Should just make it do some damage IMO, this idea has both PvP and PvM uses.

For PvM, it's an IMPENETRABLE wall that deals damage to the mob. That's exactly what fire field does, but fire field does 1 dmg/sec PER field, and they stack. This gives you a reliable source of heavy damage. Only thing is, it takes a LOT of mana to upkeep a firefield that does 20 dmg/sec. Energy field on the other hand could be something that deals 10 damage randomly (I'd say 10%/sec), and they SHOULDN'T stack. This would give you another option when you are trying to kill big stuff. You can really do a ton of damage with fire fields, or you could plop an energy field on the mob while you keep walls and summons up. Both options have their advantages given the different situations of UO Tongue

For PvP, as of now, it's an impenetrable wall much like wall of stone, but it costs maybe 3x the mana (too lazy to check the numbers) and has 2x (maybe more) the cast delay. Completely useless. BUT, in that rare instance where someone is all jammed up in a door, or stuck on 1 tile, if you can manage to get an energy field off on them then you have a strong advantage until they dispel it or teleport out. This would not happen very frequently mind you, because the high mana cost makes it not something you want to **** up on.

As far as rate of damage, I'll stand by my idea of a 10% chance to deal 10 damage every second. I feel this is actually quite fair and I would be more than happy to help you staff with the testing.

As far as penetrability, I really really liked both Eru and Taran's ideas of spell or projectile penetration (.e oooh), so what I'm thinking is something that is impenetrable by movement, but all players and monsters have FULL line of sight through it.

As far as damage mechanism/appearance/effects, When any player/mob has an energy field on it the mechanism should trigger, causing the 10% probabilities to start rolling. A sound set should also be triggered when the mechanism starts (given that it only starts on each tile if there is someone/thing there), some sort of "indicator" background sound effect like all the other fields (crackling of fire, sound of being stuck in parafield, poisonfield sound effect). As for the damage mechanism itself, the rolling 10% chance to take 10 damage, the damage should be dealt by lightning bolts which carry the lightning spell sound.

How awesome would that be...

Energy Field - Maktor D. - 10-29-2011

nice idea's, what would really make it interesting is if they had a 20% chance of reflect rather it be spell damage or projectiles. This would even be less used during pvp and balance the pvm a bit

Energy Field - Serevok - 11-11-2011

Habibi Jones Wrote:Yes as it is now Galdor, energy field is a useless spell Tongue Anyone have any other ideas on how to make it useful?

Man, i used to play in a shard thats used Energy Field like a wall of lighting... like you said! And this make the spell be great for pvp!

I agree with your suggest!

Energy Field - Habibi Jones - 11-12-2011

Serevok we fought together for a while on that shard Tongue Your guild is [13] ;p

Energy Field - loclgod - 11-16-2011

energy field useless? hmmm i thought it functioned fine. A wall that you can see through and can be casted through but not passed through. what was its original function?