Imagine Nation Forums

Full Version: Few newbie questions before I join :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Gan

Hello all!

I played on nov before and when it died i stopped playing UO...I like to start it again...got some questions on the shard..if anyone can help me out

1. which items are newbied / blessed? like when I die..the items will not drop outta my bags

2. I know the server is 300 stat cap and no skill cap..so which 2 skills r best to start with when I make a char?? I remember Alchemy/Magery were hardest to raise back then..

3. What are the best ways to make gold on this shard? every shard is different..so is it easier with mining or fishing? or tailor? or other skills?

4. are the houses like the way nov used to be? like keys were newbied and runes were also newbied.

5. PVP style...was it like nov? FS FS lighting bolt = dead kinda thing?

Thanks alot!!!

Eighty Swords

Hi Gan, in answer to your questions...

Gan Wrote:1. which items are newbied / blessed? like when I die..the items will not drop outta my bags

The only newbied items are the ones you start with when you make a character (ex: a pickaxe if you choose mining as a starting skill), and GM skill reward items. GM skill reward items are items you receive for GMing a skill. So once you GM Magery you get a full newbied spellbook. All other spellbooks aren't newbied (unless you get one when you make a character). Other GM reward items are pickaxe for mining, scribe's pen for inscription, mortar and pestle for alchemy, etc. Runes, clothes, and all other items are NOT newbied, unless like I said you started with the item.

Gan Wrote:2. I know the server is 300 stat cap and no skill cap..so which 2 skills r best to start with when I make a char?? I remember Alchemy/Magery were hardest to raise back then..

The skillgain on INX is pretty reasonable, despite what some people will say. You won't be able to GM all the pvp/pvm skills in one day, but it won't take you a month either. The two skills you pick as starting skills when you make a character don't really matter because there is a skill stone in pits where you get to choose 3 skills. Depending on the skill you'll get a different starting amount. For example, you might get 65 points in blacksmithy but 100 in anatomy. Of course blacksmithy is a much harder skill to train hence why you get less.

That said, I would suggest you take magery, resisting spells, and a crafting skill to help you make money. Just about all the pvp/pvm skills can be trained for free or almost nothing. Healing - use aids and an XUO FS scroll, meditation - use a nos scroll, etc.

Gan Wrote:3. What are the best ways to make gold on this shard? every shard is different..so is it easier with mining or fishing? or tailor? or other skills?

Mining is good provided there is someone looking to buy ingots, which can usually be sold for around 10gp each for the basic ones.
Tailoring is profitable if you collect cotton from fields yourself and turn it into cloth.
Fishing isn't the greatest (at least not in my experience, maybe someone who has done it more will tell you otherwise).
Hunting recently got some major boosts and is very profitable now.
The other crafting skills might not be the best way to make money now since there doesn't seem to be people buying a lot of supplies now.

Gan Wrote:4. are the houses like the way nov used to be? like keys were newbied and runes were also newbied.

House keys are newbied, you also get a key ring you can put all your keys on which is newbied, runes are not newbied. There are the classic houses and custom houses. The commands i wish to lock this down and i wish to release this have been replaced by double clicking your house key and targeting the item, automatically locking it down or releasing it. The command i wish to secure this has been disabled. This means that if you lock down a chest, someone can steal the items inside the chest 1 by 1, but not the chest itself. So be very careful with house security (like use detect hidden before entering your house)

Gan Wrote:5. PVP style...was it like nov? FS FS lighting bolt = dead kinda thing?

Thanks alot!!!

The PVP is taken directly from XUO, so it's mainly FS, lightning, greater heal, magic reflect, etc.

Hope that answered all your questions! Let me know if you have more. If you have questions about training specific skills, feel free to check out the thread I link to in my signature, I go over pretty much every skill.

Gan

Thanks alot!!! that was very fast respond and very detailed!!
Just a quick note about house keys: You might want to double check to make sure that they're newbied. I know that they're newbied if you put them in your keyring, but I've never tried it without the ring. Smile It's way too convenient to just have everything in the ring.