Imagine Nation Forums

Full Version: Customizing Houses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Eighty Swords

I don't know if this has been changed yet, but I would like to bring this up again.

Please allow people to customize an already committed custom house without moving everything in the house into the moving container. If I want to change one room in my house I shouldn't have to replace everything on every floor.

The advantageous fact about this is that it will encourage people to make small changes to their custom houses since they know they don't have to go through the annoyance of replacing all their items.

If you've ever owned a custom house and had this happen to you I'm sure you know how annoying it is to place the hundreds of items you have decorating your house again.

If you don't like this idea, please clearly explain what you see wrong with it. If you like it please post agreeing so the staff can see I'm not the only one asking for this. Forum mods, if people start dragging this thread off topic please delete their posts. Thank you.
I like it. Now, go script it :lol:

Eighty Swords

Unfortunately I'm not a very proficient C programmer so I can't. Although I think what has to be done can't be too far off from the autosupply script which remembers item locations when you step on the autosupply stone and then double click the statue full of your items that gets placed in your bank Wink
It wouldn't be just that simple, it never is. If someone were to script something new (actually script, not just add a simple item or mobile) I don't think this is the first thing they should be working on.

As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, but custom housing works like this on every other shard too. This would be a big amount of work. For example, I'd rather see devs putting their time on a new type of event that would involve all types of players doing the thing they most enjoy.

Example event: There'd be two teams and each team starts with just some tools and very basic materials. They'd have to go and get better items (craft, hunt, PK) and then duke it out. At start, each team would vote for a leader (using gump) and when one of them dies, other side wins. Everyone could participate and feel useful. Crafters, gatherers, PvPers, PvMers would all have a role to fullfil. It would also require more tactics and teamplay than any other event. You can't just go all rambo, die and not worry about it like in auto supplied events. Your items will be looted by the other team to make them stronger.

Enough about that though... As I said, I do like your idea but I don't think it is the right time to implement the feature you mentioned. It's just a convenience feature. We need something unique that would attract players.

Eighty Swords

And you think the custom house change will take a long time to script? hehe. It's a great event, and I've seen it mentioned in the past and I like it, precisely because everybody gets involved, not just a group of pvpers.

By the way, on all the XUOs I played all the items didn't get moved into the house moving container. The only time an item would go to the moving container was when you added a wall piece or something on the tile the item was on. I believe Muto has a copy of XUO, so again I feel there can't be too much work involved in this.
If there is already code for this then it's totally different story. I'm just saying that if someone has time to script and is going to put some effort into something I'd rather it be something other than just a convenience feature.

If I don't remember wrong, you studied electronics engineering? Isn't it mandatory there to study C and program microcontrollers? I'm sure you know some C and can check on this if you really want to. Smile

Eighty Swords

I think it's hard to determine what single feature will create a giant influx of players at this point, so it would be nice if our devs spent any portion of their free time making those here happier Smile. (Errrr hopefully nobody reads that as me saying that I think the devs have to give all their free time to IN-X, I am trying to say whatever they feel like giving).

Yes, I did study electronics (the program was called electronics technology, not electrical/electronics engineering) but we did very little C. In fact, of the very little C we did, most of it was spent programming the serial port of a computer to do communication between two PCs. The goal of the course was to program a fully functioning go-back-n protocol but there wasn't enough time so we were only able to do single text file transfers from one computer to another. On the receiving computer the teacher supplied the file to check that we programmed the header of each packet properly and that the content of the file was correctly received.

The electronics I studied in College was mostly analog electronics (making amplifiers out of resistors, capacitors, inductors, and a few IC's) and digital electronics (making circuits like half adders, full adders, 0 to 15 counters, 3 to 8 converters to control 7-segment LED's, etc out of various IC's). We also had a course covering all the parts of a computer in-depth, and networking courses. In our final year we wired an 8-bit microprocessor with a 64k Rom chip, a 64k Ram chip, a serial and parallel interface, other chips to make it all work together, etc. But the programming part of this was done using ASM and not C.

If Taran is looking for more devs, I suggest he contacts Luda Krishna who has in the past offered to do some scripting for IN-X and studied C and other programming languages more then me.
Kamos Wrote:Example event: There'd be two teams and each team starts with just some tools and very basic materials. They'd have to go and get better items (craft, hunt, PK) and then duke it out. At start, each team would vote for a leader (using gump) and when one of them dies, other side wins. Everyone could participate and feel useful. Crafters, gatherers, PvPers, PvMers would all have a role to fullfil. It would also require more tactics and teamplay than any other event. You can't just go all rambo, die and not worry about it like in auto supplied events. Your items will be looted by the other team to make them stronger.

Sorry for off topic, but that sounds like an awesome event! :thumbsup:

Eighty Swords

No worries Led, although I asked to avoid off topic, this is 'good' off topic lol.