Imagine Nation Forums

Full Version: SKill Gaining Quests- An Idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got an idea, maybe it's already implemented, seeing as how i havent played in a while.

Why not make quests for skills, I know theres the ones for minning, blacksmith x amount of gorgets and receive an item...

But I mean for other skills too, like magery, blacksmith, inscript, alchemy, etc...

quests, lets say for Alchemy, that make you get specific ingrediants from specific merchants, mix it with this, w/e make a story line around it, and allow to have skill gains from it.

example; you can have a quest for lets say alchemy but that consist of 5 different stages and skill rewards. first stage you complete the quest and get +4, than its harder you get +6. etc...

I think that it will encourage people being <<ACTIVE>> key word, while GMING their skills and entertaining themselves. it's better than just macroing 24/7 while away from the computer.

what you think?
I believe theres already a quest in newbie dungeon. At least it was discussed and would get implemented I believe. But yes, I am for more quests that would improve skill a little bit.
Are there quests for mining -.-??
I know blacksmith.. colored weapons but you dont get any gain reward.

I think +4 is TOO much!
Id say 0.5-1 if its implemented.

I totally agree with this, this can be really cool and attractive.

Eighty Swords

I like the idea so long as whoever scripts it makes sure that you can't do the +4 quest 25 times and each time takes, say 10 minutes. That means when you get to the higher skill like 80+ in 10 minutes you can gain 4 skill compared to that taking a few hours if you make items.

I know the +4 and +6 were only examples, but it's just something to take into consideration.

Good suggestion silver!
I dont think you should gm just by doing those quest, I think had to set a max skill to it like 75.
The numbers were random, just to get the point across...

it's better to have people macroing WHILE on the pc, ACTIVE, rather than everyone AFK, specially when theres a low playerbase

also, i know theres a few quests out there for certain skills, but with enough imagination, and scripting, you can make it for all sorts of skills, and keep people entertained even while macroing (which will actually be questing)
We had a few skill gain related quests but then the skill stone was added so those quests were removed, wasn't about to see multiple sources for free skills... Skill gain is very easy as it is and we don't need to hand out even more free skill points.
You could re-add the quests and change the rewards so that they're based off of skill level. Smile Let me try to come up with a formula...

[(100-{Skill Level}) * .05] - 1

That should work nicely. If you did the quest at 0 skill, you'd go up by 4.

At 20, you'd go up by 3.

At 40, you'd go up by 2.

At 60, you'd go up by 1.

At 80, skill-gain from doing the quest would give nothing.
Just because the skill stone is there, doesn't mean you can't have quests to help you level...

Make up some type of formula, like Sindern said.

Your missing the point here, MACROING/(QUESTING) while ACTIVE on your pc...

Meaning you can setup these quests for several people, make it monsters who drop certain shit, etc... and have them drop like "skill scrolls" while doing your specific quest. And only certain people can use the skill scroll, depending on your skill level...

It will make UO more modern like and have people active, working as a team, and raising their skills which = more people online.