Imagine Nation Forums

Full Version: Goodbye INX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For now......My computer decided to run at really high temps (70 degrees celcius) atleast I think thats high. So I bought a new fan for the CPU and my programs are still taking forever to load and the comp still gets hot. So until I can get around to fixing the comp I will be without INX :mad: I am fixing my car then I will dump money into my computer so it will be awhile. Until then if anyone has PS3 and wants to play online Versus with Resident Evil 5 or COD5 Zombies and shit hit me up my username is Signal-14 I am going to miss you all Cry
CryI'll Miss You Too!!!
Buy one of these ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ and take the computer outside. Use it to blow the bajeezus out of all the dust inside. 90% of the time, overheating is caused by dust blocking the airflow. Especially, you want to check in the heatsink since there's usually a lot of small gaps to fill up.
[Image: compressed-air.jpg]
Ok cool, thanks Sindern. I bought one just havent used it yet. I was able to get the dust from all the fans and like I said I replaced the CPU fan and put the thermal coating on it too, but no luck. Ill try and blow out the dust from the whole PC and see if that makes a difference. Do you think that 70 degrees celcius is to hot? and would that cause programs to not run and the computer to shut down?
Most modern computers have a thermometer that keeps track of the processor temps and if it gets to a dangerous level, then the computer will power off. No shutting down, no warning, just POOF it's off. I had a problem like that with an AMD processor (every one I've ever had has been ridiculously hot) and I ended up just taking the case off of the computer and putting a box fan on it. Tongue Janky as hell but it worked.

Also, a lot of the newer processors will pump out a lot of heat and they usually ship with a crappy heat sink. If you're having problems, you might invest in a new heatsink and some good thermal putty. I like Arctic Silver for a thermal paste, and my current heatsink is a Zalman. It looks wierd, but it's freaking amazing.

[Image: zalman97001.th.jpg]
Hmm, yeah I had some grey thremal paste but I replaced it with some white paste, not sure the brand. I have the AMD Phenom Quad Core and I have the whole side off of the tower with a box fan blowing into it but it still shuts down.
Papa Smurf Wrote:Hmm, yeah I had some grey thremal paste but I replaced it with some white paste, not sure the brand. I have the AMD Phenom Quad Core and I have the whole side off of the tower with a box fan blowing into it but it still shuts down.

lol for amd proc its normal temp, i use atlon 64 my pc up to 60, but critical tem for pc on amd proc its 100-120. And add more around cooler, or buy some fastest and good fan for proc
this is good
Zalman CNPS8700-NT; Socket 775/754/939/940/AM2 or other zalman
or this Scythe Orochi (SCORC-1000)
zalman cost 50-200 usd/ scythe 80-100.
Gatin Wrote:lol for amd proc its normal temp, i use atlon 64 my pc up to 60, but critical tem for pc on amd proc its 100-120. And add more around cooler, or buy some fastest and good fan for proc
this is good
Zalman CNPS8700-NT; Socket 775/754/939/940/AM2 or other zalman
or this Scythe Orochi (SCORC-1000)
zalman cost 50-200 usd/ scythe 80-100.

If that is the normal temp for an AMD phenom, any idea what could be the problem then?
Do you get a lot of Blue Screens of Death and program crashes? You said some programs don't run. As in they won't start, but the computer keeps running? Or they'll be running and close/crash?

My next guess is that you have RAM issues. If you have access to a CD burner, download MemTest86 and burn it to a CD. (If you want a better, all purpose CD since MemTest is very small and you feel guilty like I do about using a whole CD for it, you can get Hiren's Boot CD which has MemTest86 and a bunch of other nifty stuff.

Reboot your computer and boot from the CD. You may have to change the boot order in Setup. (Usually the "Delete" key when you're booting, but sometimes it's different. Watch the messages when the computer's booting.) Once you boot from CD, run the memory test and see how many errors it finds. It can take a while to run the test, but I'm expecting errors. Tongue

Eighty Swords

Here's what I suggest...

1) Download ccleaner from download.com and run it to do the registry and file cleanup.
2) Uninstall every stupid little program you have on your system like google earth
3) Go through MSCONFIG to stop useless programs from starting on boot up. Here's how to use MSCONFIG if you're not familiar with it.

3.1 ) Click Start>Run
3.2 ) Type in "msconfig" and press OK.
3.3 ) Click on the "Services" tab and check "Hide All Microsoft Services"
3.4 ) Uncheck any items here that you are familiar with, such as itunes, google, quicktime, etc.
3.5 ) Click on the "Startup" tab and uncheck any items here that you are familiar with, such as itunes, google, quicktime, etc.
3.6 ) Click Apply, then OK or Close.
3.7 ) Save anything in an open program.
3.8 ) Click Restart
3.9 ) When your system boots up, check "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" and then ok.

4) Since it's the huge topic everyone is talking about, I'll add my 2 cents in on cooling: make sure your fans are doing the proper air flow. The front one should pull air into the tower and the back ones should force it out. You definitely shouldn't have the fans at both ends pulling air in or pushing it out. And you might want to use twist ties to hold the powercables all to the sides so they don't obstruct air flow.

5) Get an Intel processor Wink I've been an AMD guy for years but I'll be switching to Intel when I build my next PC.

And finally... drum roll please... get rid of Windows Vista!!! That will solve 110% of your problems hahaha.

Hiren's boot disk is really good btw! If you don't like/trust memory testers, try removing some RAM stick by stick to see if you get improved or equal performance with less RAM. That would mean one stick is dead/dieing and your PC is too dumb to learn not to write to it.
like 80 said

run ccleaner
then run malwarebytes antimalware program

as i'm pretty much convinced u have a non-hardware related problem.....UNLESS u fudged up the application of the thermal paste (i'm assuming u did it by yourself)

get all the dust out and vaccum your fans seperatly (detached of course).

also like 80 said vista can cause stuff to run slow but if it wasn't running slow before and u had vista it's prolly just some spyware/virus slowing u down is my bet.

Also try increasing ur virtual memory (most pc's by default are set lower than what you can actually use)
Vista is no problem when you have 8 manly gigs of RAM and disable UAC/ReadyBoost/Superfetch.
Pages: 1 2