Imagine Nation Forums

Full Version: Fences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Eighty Swords

On the last XUO you could put fences around your house or between houses to make a complex or town.

Prices were 500 iron or logs per piece and you could only go like 5-6 tiles away from your house. You also had fences to get in or out, and you had to remember to lock them or someone could get in and mark a rune inside your fence to still gank you when you come out.

This is great for people in custom houses or the classic houses other then a castle since you have a protected area where you can teleport to and be safe.
yeah we should have fences again, that would be an awesome idea.
So basically you place a house, surround it by fence, mark a rune inside and keep the rune in your bank... Guaranteed safety for life... Might as well add insurance next.

If you couldn't mark a rune inside the fence I would be okay with this. That way you would have the safety level of a castle without a special perk. Though with custom houses you can put 10 sets of doors if you so choose...

It would be cool though if players had a yard and could place things out front of their house... but then what about the houses owned by non-friendly players that are right next to each other? Whoever makes a fence first gets the majority of the land? Kind of a sketchy idea I think.

Maybe if you could add a bit more detail as to how it was or how it should work now I might be more understanding but at the moment it just seems like you want to make sure nobody can never ever get in your house.
Fences are terrible. I'm trying to find the screenshot of what my mate Rydaro did on xuo. He had duped a ton of money/castle deeds/keeps/towers/etc. Then he used fences to basically zone off about 80% of ice island into a massive maze of fences and houses. You could use 1 room houses to extend your fencing areas wherever you needed. Its ugly, its a pain in the ass for people trying to explore, and the problems with it far outweigh the benefits. Also theres a reason why you cant just recall inside your castle, or tower or whatever. Adding a fence that gives you complete invulnerability to use your house is obviously not a good idea.
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Fences could provide alot of work for lacksmiths and crafters and are not a terrible idea, if the staff put restrictions on the usage.

example. not allowed to block of passages etc etc. Not allowed to have it unaccesable if you have a gate it has to be unlocked (aka it wont be safe) Altough there are many places where you canmark already to have a "safe" spot.

blacksmithing tinkering = iron fences [40 ironingots + ??](for a regular wall piece) corner piece 70 ironingots, a gate would be 130 iron ingots.))
carpentry + tinkering = wooden fence

would give crafters somethign expencive to craft and thus it could be a wayfor them to make more of a living more than hunting.

I think craftable fences and gates would be a great idea, altough i had problems to figure out how far away from the house they could be looked down ie. small house 2 yards 3room 4 etc but i never managed to fix it Sad[/COLOR]
To clear up how it worked on XUO:

When you placed a house, you had a house zone that extended 3 tiles beyond every wall, (so an 8x8 house actually nets you 11x11 house space). The 3 outside tiles could have things locked down just like inside a house. You could place fencing on any of those 3 tiles and lock it down from inside your house. If you placed two houses next to each other (6 tiles apart, minimum because of the outside zone), you could connect them by locking down the fence from inside the respective houses.

Here's the problem now: I've done a little exploring and I've seen lots of houses that are only 1 tile apart from another house. If you were to implement the fencing system, it would screw up a lot of existing houses since their zones would overlap.

smoke

tbh i actually have no problem with fences, but you should be able to cast over them seeing as you can't get through to the person
If anything, it should only be allowed in the front of the house and 2xlength of the house. Also no marking inside of them, thats just a bit much honestly...

As Sindern stated, doing anything like this would be a pain and could potentially mess tons of stuff up. I really don't like the thought of this at all because this was part of the reason that custom houses were added. You can make a front gate on your lot with no problem with them and I don't see why that isn't good enough.
The ones on XUO were inside the house zone and blocked LOS. I think it's legit that they would block LOS to people outside the house, just like house walls block LOS now.

The more I think about this though, the less I like it. I remember building little forts with some fondness, but I tried to be responsible with my building and not take over a whole island or block off stuff. I remember trying to get somewhere and having to run around a huge maze of fences trying to figure out how to get through them.

Eighty Swords

With fences on XUO you could place it up to 3 tiles away (judging from old screen shots) and they were 500 iron/logs per piece.

If I remember this part right, there were two types of iron; tall and short, and wood had either light and dark or again tall and short.

There was only 1 piece you could make for each kind, and if you needed a corner piece or fence piece instead of a side piece, double clicking it would change it between the different types of pieces.

The fence did block LOS (unless you missed a corner piece for example) and could then teleport through (this wasn't a bug, just that people missed a corner piece sometimes).

You could also mark inside the fence area. This was to make it equal with the inner grass area of a castle between the outer wall and the inner little tower. On XUO you could mark a rune in this area, not sure if it's like that on INX.

I don't mind if you make it so you can't mark a rune inside a fence area, but the fences should at least remain lockable, like a house door. The reason I'd like to see it like this is so you can do some deco around your house, which you should be able to lock down too.

As for houses being too close, well that's kinda your own fault for putting your house next to someone (if you weren't there first), or it's your fault for going in a common place. Like everybody loves ice island so you could have tried for somewhere else.
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]aye 250 iron per piece for 500 for corner piece Smile
The things you guys dont like are stuff a player can page about and have a staff member handle.[/COLOR]

Eighty Swords

Odium Wrote:[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]aye 250 iron per piece for 500 for corner piece Smile
The things you guys dont like are stuff a player can page about and have a staff member handle.[/COLOR]

You sure there was a difference? Like I said I remember you double clicked a piece to change it to a different one. Muto has XUO though right? He can always check Smile

And what's that second part come from? :eek:
Pages: 1 2 3