Imagine Nation Forums

Full Version: A Tormented Mind
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[This is my character introduction story. Feel free to comment both in character and out so i can make the next stories even better.]

So I finally decided to tell my small tale from these past years. So lets start at the beginning. Back when i was a person not an object to be owned.

I used to be a fighter you know. I did my part to protect the good and lawful. I gave much of my blood for that cause. Blood and tears were shed every day. But that feels like a century ago. So long....

One day i simply gave up and left. For various reasons. None needs mentioning in this story. I sold or gave away most of my possessions. I thought i would not need them anymore.
I took of to find a new life. What i got was nothing less than hell. Or at least the closest you can get while still being alive.
About 3 months after i left Trinsic and all my former comrades and friends i stumbled half asleep into a hidden mercenary camp. Before i knew it i was surrounded by armed men. Went down without a fight.

After they had toyed with me for a few weeks i was sold as a slave to a vampire master. Quite expensive too given my previous occupation. But the shape i was in after the mercenaries left me rather useless the first month i was in his service. Didn't stop him from draining blood every few days though.

After my wounds had mostly healed and i was starting to fight back when they came to visit. I was handed to a slave handler. Put in a tiny room inside a castle of sorts. It was blisteringly cold at all times and all i had was a wooden bench as a bed and a thin cover sheet. No clothes and no warmth. An effective way of weakening a slave the handler said.

The handler would never touch me with bare hands just with a painstick as he called it. And that was truly what it was. An enchanted wand that if touched would give you the worst pain imaginable. Every muscle in your body would ache and burn and leave you numb for several seconds afterwards. Hard to describe with words when all you want when touched with it is to be dead.

But i like to think that i never yielded to the masters will. That he never really owned me as he wanted. But after a few months with hours of torture every day and with no chance of escaping it your mind changes. Stopping it becomes the only goal in life. Memory of freedom fades and faces of friends and family are forgotten and lost. And the only way to stop the pain was the do as told. No matter what it was. And i did it.
I served the handler and the master at their whim for a long time. Perception of time is not a concern you have when being a slave so i honestly do not know how long it went on like that. Months or years. It made no difference because it was always the same. Up at dawn and do as told. Be that digging graves for the masters victims or mining in caves for hours without a break. I did what was necessary to survive. What i had to do.

One day the handler became angry and he killed one of the other slaves who had not done what he was told. The master became furious and had the handler strung up by his feet inside a fenced area. Several boars where then let in the feast on the handlers arms and head.
We slaves were not allowed to watch for it would give us a moment of happiness that we were not allowed. But the other guards would talk about it and so we learned of it.
The master gave the duty of slave handler to one of the senior guards. Knowing that he would discipline us at the slightest wrong doing or failure.

One day when a guard was annoyed he reported that i had taken water when i was not allowed. A small thing one would imagine but with the new handler nothing was a small thing. Several guards dragged me to a chamber with a wooden cross in the middle. My arms were tied out the side and my legs as well. My shirt was ripped of to expose my back out towards the room. I knew what was coming. The fire whip was a favored tool of the handler for bad behaviored slaves. It was basically a whip soaked in oil and then set on fire. The whip would tear up the skin and leave a bit of oil in the wound which would continue to burn and partly close the wound. Stopping most of the bleeding. Very painful if i may add. I was punished with 15 lashes. 3 times 5 over 15 minutes. Wouldn't want it to be over quickly is what he said.
Since these wounds took time to heal i was sent to my room.

I often wondered if it had a curse since even in the summer it was cold in there.

I was given water and some food but after 2 days i still would not move. The handler was afraid i would die and if that happened he most likely would too so he sent for a healer to look at my wounds.

A healer came to see me after a few hours. Since i was not moving no guard followed her in. I was lying on the side facing the wall because that gave the least pain. Just because i was not moving did not mean i was not awake.

She seemed young and inexperienced but very careful and meticulous. She cleaned the wounds and before putting on the bandages she soaked them in a healing potion. Not something i ever learned during my practice sessions for healing but it helped a lot
After she was done she carefully turned my head upwards to see my face. She must have known that i was awake because she was not surprised at all.
"Hello" She said with a calm voice.
I muttered a "Hi".
"Your wounds will be getting better from now. Just be careful not to rub them or move around too much."
"Yes i will try milady" I almost whispered. "Please do not call me that" She said in a sad voice. "I am as much a captive as you are. What is your name?"
"I... I don't remember my name. I'm sorry"
"It is not your fault so you should not be sorry. But then we must find a new name for you. I am Lia. What do you want to be called?" Her voice had a strange caring and compassionate sound. But also sadness and pain.
I slowly sat up and turned towards her. I got a quick look at her before i turned my head down. That is something you learn as a slave. Not to look at your masters.
She was very beautiful She deserved better than a life at a vampires castle.
"Look at me please" She said while lifting my head up.
Hair that was black as the night sky. Eyes green as sparkling emeralds. A smile that would brighten anyones day. She was the most wondrous looking woman i had ever seen.
Without letting my eyes leave hers i smiled. I just could not hide it.
"So... Name?" Lia said.
"Er... Yes... Umm... Maybe, no... I would like you to pick for me Mistress." I mumbled.
"Please just call me Lia. Well then what about Veno? Its short. Precise and has a good ring to it" Lia smiled
"I like it" I smiled back
"Hello Veno" Lia giggled
I just smiled back at her and took her hand.
"Thank you Lia" I said.

The following day my wounds were almost fully healed. It still stung if i touched them but compared to what i was used to i could hardly feel it.
Lia came to check on me just before dawn so the guards wouldn't complain too much.
"Good morning" She said cheerfully when she came in.
"Good morning" i replied.
"How are your wounds? Better i hope" She smiled
"Oh yes almost fully healed, just a little sting left but im used to worse" i turned around so she could remove the bandages and check.
She was careful not to peel of the sticky bloody bandages too quickly. It hurt but i didn't show it.
"I'm sorry if it hurts, ill prepare some new bandages to replace these and tell the guards that you need another few days to recover." Her voice was very caring.
"Lia..?"
"Yes?"
"Why are you helping me so much?"
"Because i am a healer" She said while putting the last bandage on my wounds.
"But you are not a slave like me, why do you care so much for how i feel?
"Why do you need to know? I am here to help you not to answer your questions"
"I'm sorry i didn't mean to..."
"Just leave it. Ill tell the guards to let you be for another day then you should be up and going again. Oh and don't tell anyone that i was nice to you. I'm not supposed to talk to slaves at all."
"I wont tell anyone i promise"
"Thanks Veno. Ill try and come see you every now and then."
"That would be very nice just be careful" I smiled
"I am always am" She grinned "Bye!"
"Goodbye Lia"
I smiled as she closed the door but couldn't quite shake the feeling that i wasn't going to see her again.

I was right. For a time at least I saw her a few days later when i and 2 other slaves were being taken out of the castle for a day of lumbering in the woods. Couldn't speak to her of course but at least i knew she was still around.

After that i didn't see her for a long time. I always thought about her at night when i was alone. Pictured her coming to visit me. Just so that we could talk. It gave me some small comfort in my dark mind.
One day i was taken out to mine in a large mine a short distance away from the castle. The guard stayed at the entrance and held the pack horse there and told me to get working. I had done this so many times before so it was nothing new to me. I walked in to the back of the mine so i could do the areas furthest away first. Meant less walking with the ores.
In the back of the mine there was very little light. Sunlight didn't get in here and slaves were not allowed to have a torch or lantern.
I started mining but wasn't in a hurry. No point since no matter how much a slave does it will never be enough.
I had only found a few stacks of ore when i heard a voice coming from the dark corner.
"Veno" it whispered.
"Who is it? What do you want?" I quickly replied.
"Don't you recognize my voice?" Lia stepped out into the light so i could see her.
"Lia!" I said loud.
"Shh! Don't let the guard know that im here."
"Sorry" I mumbled while jumping over and hugging her.
"I missed you beautiful"
"I missed you too but i just couldn't come see you any sooner"
"Its ok don't worry. I'm just glad you haven't forgotten me" I smiled.
"That will never happen. Now lets get out of here"
"Err out? Out were? How, the guard is still..." Thats all i could say before Lia had grabbed me and chanted the words for recall.

We appeared in a small clearing in a forest. It was still early morning but it was quite warm and with just a slow brise rattling the leaves and trees.

"Isn't it nice here?" Lia said while i was looking around.
"Wow. Aye it really is very nice. But what about..." Lia interrupted me knowing what i was going to say.
"Lets just enjoy this place for a while okay? Ill get you back before anyone notices."
"Alright. I trust you" I smiled at her
"I want a house here someday. You know? A nice quiet house where i can relax and get away from the castle and..." She stopped mid sentence.
I tried to catch her eyes but she had turned her head down and was looking at her feet. I put my hand under her chin and slowly lifted her head up.
"What is wrong? I asked.
"I just realized what i must be to you. I walk freely or close to in the castle. I'm not a prisoner or a slave like you are. And here i am bragging with it. Teasing you with my freedom and easy life"
"Lia, you are very kind to me. You don't treat me like a slave but as an equal. You brought me out here so i could see this beautiful place. A place of your dreams and hopes"
"But..."
"Let me finish please" I interrupted her. "It is not your fault that im not a free man. You are not the one who puts me to work, who tortures me, keeps me as a slave. You are my light, my hope and my strength. Just seeing you brightens my life" I slumped down on the soft grass and looked up at her reaction.
She slowly sat down and looked me in the eyes.
"Thank you for not hating me" She said softly
"I could never hate you Lia" I smiled back at her.
I took her hand and just held it. I shifted my sight between Lia and the lovely surroundings. I just sat and enjoyed this moment.
After a few mins that felt far too short Lia stood up.
"We should get back before anyone notices" She was clearly sad
I stood up and smiled at her. "Its fine. I really liked the time we spent here"
"I promise i will find a way to set you free"
"You don't have to. You should not risk anything just because of me. I'm not worth it" I smiled
"Hush! I'm going to do this for you! Besides then you and i can see more to each other too" She grinned at me.
"Well i know a stubborn woman when i see one" I said while giving her a hug.
She held onto me and chanted the words for recall. We reappeared in the dark corner of the mine.
"Thanks for the small trip. Lets do it again sometime" I smiled knowing that she couldn't see it in the darkness.
"Next time it will be permanent though" She said softly
She said the words for recall and disappeared.

I went back to work and tried to make up the time i was away. At first the guard didn't seem to notice that i had been away for a while but when the time had passed midday and the packhorse normally was full he became annoyed.
"Why aren't you done yet? Have you been slacking or are you trying to get me angry?" The guard shouted at me.
"I'm sorry but the ores have been hard to find today." I said while looking down.
"So you have been slacking? Ill teach you to not work enough on my watch!" He shouted and raised his wooden club to hit me.
Just as the guard was going to hit me the slave handler came in and stopped him.
"Whats going on here?" He calmly asked the guard.
"This slave has been slacking and hasn't worked enough this morning!" The guard was clearly trying to sound angry and confident about his case.
"Well then you should discipline him, not beat him with a club so he cant work at all." The handler said. "Here use my whip and give him a few lashes."
"Yes sir." The guard replied.
The handler pushed me down on my knees. Drew a dagger from his belt and cut my shirt open down the back.

A few mins later i tried to open my eyes but i was lying face down on the rocky ground of the mine. I could feel blood running down my body from the wounds on my back. I heard the guard yell at me to get up. I didn't bother to try and passed out again.

I woke again in my room. I slowly sat up and tried not to stretch the skin on my back too much. It was healing quickly though and the wounds had already closed up.
"Must have some of that healing potion in me still." I thought to myself and smiled.
I wasn't sure how long i had been sleeping but at least a few hours. I picked up a new shirt which the guards had left on the floor. The pain was not too bad so i quickly put it on and laid down on the bed and covered up. I needed the rest to be ready for tomorrows work.
I woke to the sound of a guard banging on the door.
"Get up you miserable slave!" He yelled.
I got up quick and found that my wounds were feeling a lot better. It was painful to move but i knew i could still work.
"I love you Lia." I thought to myself and smiled a little.

The guard took me back to the mine we had been in yesterday.

"You better work harder today slave! Otherwise ill give you a stronger lesson in following orders!" Is the last thing he said while i was walking into the mine to start digging.
After i had made several trips back and forth with ores to the packhorse i was heading into the dark area of the mine again.
"Maybe she'll be here waiting for me..." I thought.
"No stop thinking like that! Ill just end up hoping for something that will never happen." I stopped myself.
I heard something in the corner.
"Its nothing. Just a loose pebble." I said out loud.
"Oh so im nothing to you today?" I heard a familiar voice say.
"Lia? Are you really here?"
"No apparently im just a pepple." She giggled
I blushed. "Sorry."
"Its quite alright. I'm just teasing you a bit." She stepped out so i could see her big soft smile.
"Ive missed you." I said while hugging her.
Her hands slid down my back and i crinched a bit.
"What is it? What is wrong?" She asked.
"Its just my back don't worry. I'm fine really." I replied.
She turned me around and lifted my shirt up to my shoulders.
"Is this my fault?" She asked with clear worry in her voice.
"No its mine Lia. I couldn't catch up with the work yesterday."
"Then it is my fault. I shouldn't have taken you away." She sounded sad.
"I would suffer much worse if it meant i could see you."
She just stood behind me slowly running her fingers over my wounds.

"I'm taking you with me tonight. We are leaving the castle together. I just need to gather a few things from my room and the castle stores." Her voice was demanding but still soft.
"Please don't risk anything for me. I couldn't live if you were hurt because of a lowly slave like me."
"I said we are leaving. Be ready tonight. Ill come for you at midnight."
Before i could say anything against it she had already recalled away.
"Well guess that discussion is over eh Veno?" I said to myself.

I quickly got back to work and managed to make up the time before the guard noticed.

"Looks like you needed that lesson yesterday." The guard said when the packhorse was full. "Lets get this back to the castle then you can go back to your pitiful room."
"Yes sir" I replied.

It was just over midday when the ores had been stored in the castle and i was given cloth and needle to do some tailoring work.
"Make some slave clothing. Plenty of that has been used lately." The guard ordered as i sat down in the crafting room.

We slaves were given an early day off because the guards seemed to be otherwise occupied.

After we had been giving food and drink we were locked in our rooms and told to stay quiet. This had happened before but i never knew why. We slaves weren't exactly told the latest castle gossip.

Since i didn't know what time it was i decided to get some rest since tonight was going to be a long night. My night of freedom.
I must have fallen asleep because when i opened my eyes Lia was standing over me whispering.
"Get up sleepy head. Its time for you to be free again."
I smiled. "I'm up now. So lets recall out!" I was ancious to leave.
"I would if i could but theres a magic block that means we have to get out of the castle on foot before we can recall." She replied.
"Oh darn." I said and got up on my feet.
She took my hand and led me out the door. Closed it up and locked it again after us. We headed silently down the hallway towards the exit.
I knew we would have a hard time to get out without being seen since we would have to cross thru the main hall to get to the doors.
Just before the stairway leading up to the hall Lia pulled me into a guards room.
"Here put on this uniform" She said and pointed at a clothing pile in the corner. I quickly slipped into the leather armor and red colored cloak.
"Don't you look dashing." Lia said and smiled.
"Oh yes im sure i do." I grinned back.
"Okay, heres the deal. When we get up there it will be full of people. Or well Vampires and people. The master is holding a gathering tonight so we should be able to get thru to the main doors without causing suspicion."
"Lead on." I trusted her fully.

We headed up the stairs and into the crowded main hall. We walked calmly along the wall towards the main door. A guard was standing watch. Lia walked over to him and said: "I need some fresh air. This guard will follow me out for protection."
"Yes mistress." The guardsman replied and opened the door to let us out.

We were now in the inner courtyard.

Lia took my hand again and we walked towards the main outer gate. About halfway there she pulled me in and whispered: "These guards wont be fooled so easy. If i close one of my hands to a fist then we will need to fight them."
"I'm ready for it." I nodded
We walked over to the gate and Lia approached one of the guardsmen.
"Open the gate so we can take a walk." She commanded.
"I'm sorry mistress but the master has ordered that no one leave the castle grounds without his express permission." The guardsman replied.
"And what if i tell you that i have his permission?"
"Then i will need to verify that with him personally." The guardsman was as Lia said not one to be fooled.
"Well then i will go get him." Lia turned around towards me and lifted both arms up and closed her fists.
I jumped onto the guard nearest me and managed to get him on the ground. I pounded my fist into his face several times to be sure he was unconscious.
Meanwhile Lia had spun around and with a swift move kicked the other guard in the stomach. He managed just a small cry of pain before he was knocked to the ground.
"Lets hurry before they wake up!" Lia said while grabbing the keys to the gate.
With a loud creak the gates swung open and we ran as fast as we could towards the forest nearby.
About halfway there we heard trumpets blow alarm in the castle behind us.
"I said it wouldn't be easy." Lia yelled.
"And i said i was ready for it." I yelled back and grinned.

Just as we reached the first trees a handful of arrows came in from behind.
"Argh!" I mourned and stumbled onto the ground. I had been grazed on my right arm.
Lia stopped and ran back to me.
"How bad is it?" She said with more arrows flying around us.
"Its not bad lets go." Just as i was going to get up Lia dropped down on her knees in front of me.
"I'm sorry..." She mumbled and fell into my arms.
"Nooo LIA!" I yelled.
She turned her head up towards mine and calmly said: "You are worth it my dear."
As her last word came over her lips her body turned to dust in my lap and all that was left was her necklace in my left hand.
Tears were rolling down my cheeks as i ran away from the pursuing guards.

"And that is my story. I call the necklace Lia's Legacy. For that is what i see myself as. She saved my life and soul even though she was a vampire. I would like to believe that she loved me and that she risked and gave her life for that. However im not sure if vampires really can feel love. For her sake i sincerely hope so.
Now though, ill leave you gentlemen and dear ladies to your own. Have a good day!"

(I'd like to request a RP item, a necklace named Lia's Legacy, colored daemon steel. My general RP in game will be neutral trader for now, if that changes it will be thru stories posted here.)
Hmm...from my understanding Vampires can feel love, or if not they can emulate to near perfection. Interesting tale. Now tell me veno...how do you feel about vampires? One enslaved you, however another one loved you at the same time.

[ooc] excellent story, i managed to read through the entire 3 posts. Long, but good [/ooc]
I must admit that i despise the master for holding me as a slave.

Lia however, i loved her. I still do for freeing me. Besides, i didnt know she was a vampire. I never saw if she had an evil side to her soul. Perhaps vampires exist that do not only kill, feed and pillage.

I hold no ill feelings against vampires as a race. Only against those that attempt to do me harm.
*Remembers his days of being held captive by Lord Blackthorne*

*Understand's Veno's pain*

[Great story, btw. Felt like I was watching a movie!]
[Thanks for the nice comments guys Smile Ill be writing more stories soon]
*Snorts* A slave who belives in love... Weakness in its most pure form.
Lederoil Wrote:*Snorts* A slave who belives in love... Weakness in its most pure form.

Perhaps so, but love is also the strongest feeling any person can have.
That said i hold love for no one in this world. That feeling is reserved for Lia who no longer walks this land.
Story accepted, your request for the necklace is granted and your trial has begun. I will approach you after some days have past and if I see you are worthy of the item you shall recieve it.
*bows before Azrael*
Thank you m'lord.