Imagine Nation Forums

Full Version: Basically...bored, check it.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
[COLOR="Red"]I've been reading up on UOKR [kingdom reborn] and i stumbled upon a piece of UOs history that I didn't know about: Ultima Online 2

I started to read up on it and found this article talking about how some asian guy sued EA for UO2 or something like that, so it got canceled [which personally I think is very lame because UO2 could have been awesome].

Anyway I looked at a forum talking about the article and saw a guy say this:[/COLOR]

I don't believe that UO2 would have ever had as many subscribers as WOW. One of the key factors in WOW is the simplicity and the number of quests available through all of the levels of a character. UO2 might have revolutionized the way games are created though. Instead of levels and exp grinding you would see more skill based games. Overall the complexity of the game would have created a better virtual world for those people really interested in being immersed into a virtual world, but would keep the younger generation from being able to understand the system fully compared to WOW.

Personally if UO2 had come out and was everything UO was in a First Person view then I would probably still be playing that game today. Other games like DAOC, AO, AC2 would not have been as popular as they were and many of the EQ crowd would have played UO2 instead.

The first thing that I noticed was what he said about WOW being popular because of the simplicity, and I thought yea, but the only reason it's popular because of said factor is because all of the stupid [and quite annoying] little kids join daily because it's so easy for their timid little minds to handle. The two main reasons I quit WOW after a few weeks of play was because of annoying kids, and because it was so boring for me [because of the simplicity]. Soo I was wondering people's opinions on all this [it's something to talk about at least while still waiting on the server]. Ok here's a question, what would have happened to UO if EA Games had not taken over and the original creator of UO had stayed with it?
Yeah I remember when UO2 was first announced, really looked amazing. It's just as much the fans fault as it is the suits behind the newer MMO's that they're all dumbed down and pretty much the same. If players wern't so willing to shell out money and rediculous amounts of time to these games that can usually be boiled down to an excel spreadsheet more creative games like UO2 might have stood a chance.

maka

I was pretty pissed when UO2 was canceld...had been waiting for it for a year:/
yeh I was looking forward to that aswell
It's only a matter of time before EA pushes out a modern UO.
I wish they wouldn't have fired Richard Garriot.. then I believe none of this would've happened. The "wake" in which they burned all UO2 documents and progress so far would never have taken place, and the game would most likely have been finished.

It seem to be some mixed information about what really happened at the end of UO2 though (more detailed information than what I wrote), wether EA isn't allowed to make a game called Ultima Online 2 at all, or wether they just don't feel the motivation considering Richard burned all the information about it. Does somebody know for sure?

This is something I picked up from a website a while ago, which is a little different from what I've seen at other pages, but which seems to make sense though:

Anti-Gremlin Wrote:Garriot sued EA for the Ultima name back when they fired him (even though they said he left the company)

and he had won the case, and because of this production of Ultima Online 2 was cancelled. and they instead worked on creating UO with 3d implementation.. they of course attempted to cover up by saying the "audience" were all hanging around UO, but we all know that isnt true.

Then another guy wrote this:

Replica Wrote:They canceled UO2 not because of Garriot, but because they didnt want to detract from their cash cow UO. Where are the links to him keeping the Ultima name? Why make Lineage games instead of Ultima if he had the rights? Why would EA create an Ultima game if they didnt have the rights?

And a third guy wrote this:

C4ndl3 Wrote:UO2 was partly becasue of garriot because he posted pics of him and his group burning the last written design docs on UO2, however, EA still had rights to the design that was implimented.. As the ideas were still owned by garriot as they were not officially added to the game....

The mechanical blackthorn and what not was taken over my EA and the whole new world order theme but was scrapped as they didn't have the design and story board that garriot didn't impliment into it so they scraped it and went 3d

So what is the true story? Which one of these three "more detailed" stories is the true one, could somebody verify?

Regards,
Hate
But it was canceled in early development in 2001. That's only 3 years before WoW...

Go look at UO2 screenshots and then compare them to WoW. Even though they had no way of knowing a game such as WoW was going to be released, I think they made a smart move to cancel UO2. Technologically, they were going to fall behind very quickly with the advent of "pretty" games such as Lineage I/II, SWG, and WoW.

I think within the next couple years EA will begin and/or announce a proper successor to UO now that EA has grown a bagillion times wealthier.
Nasir Wrote:But it was canceled in early development in 2001. That's only 3 years before WoW...

Go look at UO2 screenshots and then compare them to WoW. Even though they had no way of knowing a game such as WoW was going to be released, I think they made a smart move to cancel UO2. Technologically, they were going to fall behind very quickly with the advent of "pretty" games such as Lineage I/II, SWG, and WoW.

I think within the next couple years EA will begin and/or announce a proper successor to UO now that EA has grown a bagillion times wealthier.

Yeah well like most UO-players know graphics isn't really the main factor to what makes a game worth playing ;p However I do agree with you on that I think most less devoted UO-players would've left for WoW when it was released, I still would've wanted to see UO2 get finished tho, because I think that if it was ever even close to as good as UO1 is, then it could still have been a great game, even tho it would hardly have gotten as big as WoW. The game experience and feeling is according to me way more important than the graphics tho, just look at how long UO1 has survived, and the graphic there sure isn't good ;p

However if Richard Garriot didn't actually stop them completely from making a UO2 game (as some theorys say), then I hope they'll be making one soon, one with a lot of nice graphics and a real nice gaming experience. But I guess that's just wishful thinking though =/

Regards,
Hate
EA would no doubt **** it up if they made UO2.
Valas Wrote:EA would no doubt **** it up if they made UO2.

Yeah I guess =[ I wish the Lineage group would create it, after all the people working with lineage is the people who created UO1, at least some of them. (Richard Garriot and a couple of others..)

P.S: I haven't personally tried lineage 1 or 2, so I wouldn't know if those are any good, but at least it's the right people behind it. At least some of them) D.S

Regards,
Hate
We've tried Lineage 2 a year ago.
In my eyes it's totally directed to PVM.
It was just bad, you had to click on one spot to move till there.
Attacking monsters was possible by clicking your mouse button.
You could ask people to duel, but they were always possible to say: "No".
The graphics ain't that great, but don't look that cartoonisch as the graphics of WoW do.

It was only fun when we were playing it all together, going on a quest.
We've played it back then with 7 of us. And it wasn't a success.

I just don't understand that Cheriweri and Chipi do like the game that much.
Because i have heard from mit0 a few months ago that they still play that game.
Yes they do, not that much as they did but still playing a little.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5