Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Staff interference

What is up with that constant staff interference? That is really unprofessional and annoying, on Hybrid, we would NEVER show up, we would never interact with PVP and if players had questions, we would send them a message, whats the use of showing yourself and interupting fights and such? Showing your glowing items?

This server just started, the player base is pretty small compared to another shard Ive staffed on, why are -most- of the staff member not even showing respect to the players? Are you trying to keep them or telling them to scram or shut the **** up is the way to go?

Sorry if I made either Maka or Taran mad, but seriously, if you want your shard to grow and be the best, you gotta work on your staff team/rules.

Nostalgia, I'm assuming you were referring to earlier today when I was trying to help someone with an issue they had about not being able to see certain monsters with their client.

Two players were with two GMs trying to resolve an issue, a couple "scouts" came by a couple times and had to have known the staff were present. Then a group of six people run in and start ganking the two people talking to the staff to resolve their technical issue.

The staff told you to stop and nobody listened. Once they were dead people began looting and again the staff said to please stop. We then asked for the loot to please be replaced and I appreciate that some listened. I ressed the dead players that I was trying to help resolve their issue and someone res killed him. I asked everyone to leave because they were being disruptive and I wanted to help the player resolve his issue.

You may see this as interference from staff, but I see this as interference from a player while staff is trying to help someone with a technical problem. I apologize if I was not entirely professional the entire time, sometimes you cannot get your point across if you stay professional. I don't see us as interacting with PVP though, as I see it there was no PVP until you created it. Again I didn't interrupt you, you interrupted me.

As for showing up, I always prefer to show up because it is more personal of an answer. Staff seems like people and the players should know their staff. It creates closeness and understanding and it gives the player the opportunity to discuss an issue rather than just receiving a one sided answer. If you ask the players I'm sure most of them will prefer that I show up when they page, rather than just receiving a reply.

If the playerbase at your previous shard was so much larger, to me it explains why nobody showed up to answer pages personally, they were too busy to be that personal. In my opinion, I'm glad our shard isn't so large that the staff have the time to get to know their players a little and be more interactive in their aid. It also allows our shard to be more of a community.

Ultimately though, I am sorry if the way I handled the situation was different than how you've seen staff interaction with players before. In all my time in UO this is the way it was handled and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding that may have caused today. I do appreciate you not naming the staff involved though and letting me reply.

Id have to agree with Vulc in some aspects, one thing i hated about OSI and other Large free shards was all you ever got was a one sided answer. Atleast here we get some face time with staff.

However it might be best if trying to resolve an issue which is going to take more than a few seconds to teleport the player to a secluded place where the chance of being attacked is reduced.

Saintful Sinner, The Ministry

Elcid Wrote:However it might be best if trying to resolve an issue which is going to take more than a few seconds to teleport the player to a secluded place where the chance of being attacked is reduced.

As I described, the issue was technical and specific to the location we were at, hence we needed to stay there to resolve the issue. Also when you teleport someone, it interferes with their own gameplay if you don't bring them back to the exact same location, especially when they're in a dungeon. Otherwise I would definitely agree with you Elcid.

Vulcan Wrote:As I described, the issue was technical and specific to the location we were at, hence we needed to stay there to resolve the issue. Also when you teleport someone, it interferes with their own gameplay if you don't bring them back to the exact same location, especially when they're in a dungeon. Otherwise I would definitely agree with you Elcid.

Sorry u said "monsters", nothing about apart of the map :p in that case then your right.

Maybe a new command that sets the player as invul and sets them a certain colour whilst a Staff member is dealing with them. Kinda like what happens in the pits. :p

Saintful Sinner, The Ministry

Sounds to me like you handled the situation perfectly reasonably Vulcan. I've always understood that you don't attack players talking to staff.

[Image: Cole_Green.JPG]

Would have been easier to tell them with the page system "Patch your client or Resynchronize your client". Smile Not going to tell you how to do your job.. just trying to "help".

Everytime I paged, a GM came to me instead of sending a message, are you still using the old sphere page system? If yes, you should really update to the runuo page system which is really better.

By the way, I am unsure why you did not do anything when Smoke said "Give me my stuff back, else I will report you", threatening a staff member should result in a huge punishment, that was kinda his own problem if he paged in a pvp area, from what I know, this is not supposed to be a carebear server :confused:

Cole Wrote:Sounds to me like you handled the situation perfectly reasonably Vulcan. I've always understood that you don't attack players talking to staff.

+1

Nostalgia Wrote:Would have been easier to tell them with the page system "Patch your client or Resynchronize your client". Smile Not going to tell you how to do your job.. just trying to "help".

The problem with that though is that not -everyone- knows how to do those things, which is a perfectly good reason for staff to appear in person. So that we can answer further questions and to completely help in resolving the situation.

Also, there should NOT be a -penalty- for paging staff in a PvP area. Technical issues do arise in PvP areas, and at times such as this can be specific to that area. Coming up and ganking the people who paged makes solving the problem only more difficult, and more aggrivating
for the player paging.

Having to page staff for assistance can take place any time, and anywhere. Someone doesn't always have the freedom to decide -where- they are when the paging is necessary, and they shouldn't have to suffer being ganked by pvpers just because of that.

Nostalgia Wrote:By the way, I am unsure why you did not do anything when Smoke said "Give me my stuff back, else I will report you", threatening a staff member should result in a huge punishment

It is a staff's choice whether to let things slide or be strict, personally I fear letting power get to me and thus I intentionally let things slide. I would rather not jail someone who deserves it, than jail someone who doesn't.

I don't take jailing someone lightly, and players tend to be selfish and have an attitude on occasion. It comes with the territory of being a staff to deal with it, I can't be jailing everyone who says something wrong to me. Not to say those who deserve it won't get it.

Elcid Wrote:Id have to agree with Vulc in some aspects, one thing i hated about OSI and other Large free shards was all you ever got was a one sided answer. Atleast here we get some face time with staff.

However it might be best if trying to resolve an issue which is going to take more than a few seconds to teleport the player to a secluded place where the chance of being attacked is reduced.

That would help reduce the interference of other players. Attacking or ganking during a staff and player issue should be punished by jail time- for at most like an hour.

Hmm, Vulcans a responsable guy, im sure he made a good decision.

Bow Down To The ScareKing! jeje

[Image: scarecrowinxkd2.gif]